The benefits of avoiding bronze working

Status
Not open for further replies.
I actual like your out-off-box thought, your strategy could fit with some situations, such as low food, no happiness resource, high hammer yield map. However, as others already pointed out, that's quite rare.

Good to hear. I encourage you to consider how even a small delay could be optimal on more common maps as well.

Your idea could apply more commonly before HR is available, after that, no slavery really hurts the game results.

Not sure I follow. One of the advantages of Hereditary Rule is that I can now grow my cities. Killing off the citizens with slavery defeats that purpose (I understand that I can whip a military unit to keep the happiness level the same, but still the population is lost). Having a few forests increases the health cap of the cities and allows me to grow even more.

In the Joao game posted by Tachywaxon, before I researched Monarchy, BW indeed was less useful in my play.

I'm intrigued by that map (Deity isolation), and, as an experienced Joao II player, would consider playing it next, but I would 100% go for Bronze Working as the first or second tech and take full advantage of it. Would be nice to win a map that the naysayers lost (if I can), but it wouldn't really add to the "avoid Bronze Working when it makes sense" argument I'm trying to make here.

While I can't see a lot of use for this strategy, I am again amazed at how many different ways there are to play this game. Good on you for pushing the envelope. I also applaud your ability to keep a positive attitude in the face of so much criticism.

I don't think you are trolling, you're understanding of the game and your ability to intelligently argue your point make me believe you are earnest.

That said, I don't believe it is an optimal strategy. But, unless you are always going for a high score, optimal is not necessarily more fun or interesting.

@Brennus. Quigley

At least you acknowledge that it could be used on one super ultra-cow map! But I don't need the ultra-cow map to find myself in a situation in which avoiding Bronze Working is attractive. I actually find it attractive on about 30% of all random terrain/random sea levels/fractal maps I roll. Most people call those types of starts "crap" however and never try to play them.

I can assure you 30% you said is far too much. Yes, sometimes you don't have much use of slavery but not having use of slavery, chops, copper, iron, metal casting, machinery, engineering, optics etc. before Liberalism is happening almost never. And I don't play every map. I only play average, below average and crap deity maps with random settings and many of those games are posted here on Civfanatics.

Please don't get offended, but I think you need to learn using BW with its civic better. Until Immortal, I didn't use slavery for moral issues and left forests for lumbermills because of my high environmental conscience (laugh as much as you want:) but I played civ as sandbox game back then). Chops and slavery got me to deity and I still think I don't use slavery very efficiently. You also have uses of many techs and units requiring BW before Lib. Trebs for example, or Knights on lower levels.

If Duckweed tells you how crippling not having BW can be and how rare situations in which you can get away without it are, you really don't need to look anymore further for other opinions. I have witnessed he is very open minded and his civ skill is unparalleled. (No brown nosing intended, but just opinion based on facts.)

P.S.
I also left many forests and citizens alive on Joao map. But Axes killed couple of barbs. Although if I knew I was in isolation and that my continent wasn't huge, I would probably delay BW a bit.

I genuinely appreciate your efforts at simulations. Some thoughts: 1) I have no idea what this world builder map looks like or what strategy I would employ in it;
I first took the "best" case scenario: 4 plains cows + 2 quarry resources + another to settle on, assuming at least one early happy resource. And this is fairly rare on any map. (But of course it builds you the Mids in a whooping 10 turns with stone. Then again it builds 2t settlers and 2t workers with Joao. ;)) I guess an "average" suitable start would be ~ 15-20 hammers at the most so the Mids would still take ~ 15 turns to complete.
2) Oracling anything without marble is a gamble, in my experience the GE from the stone wonder is not (provided that you have stone and shoot for it);
You can chop the Oracle in 1 turn with or without marble. It's not that expensive and if you can get a good tech it's worth the tech and forest investment.
and 3) you're specifically interested in using Feudalism to vassal your neighbor (which sounds cool) but is a different goal than using it for defense and continuing up through Civil Service, or getting to Guilds before attacking.
TBH I assumed early vassals because that's the strategy that makes the most sense to me. Getting longbows solely for defensive purposes sounds pretty absurd (for single player games at least). You won't need it against barbs and if the diplomacy with an aggressive neighbor goes wrong for some reason walls and archers (+ axes, spears !) will do the job as long as you prepare your army to crush your neighbor which is what you should do in those situations. Turtling up will not help in the long run.
EDIT: Do you play always war?
Nowhere have I written out an "early vassal" strategy, although I do find it intriguing (but that doesn't require Feudalism before the war starts, just once they are beaten up enough to give in).
Sure. But if you don't have Feud once they are ready to give in they will just vassal to someone else which is something you want to avoid.
As to what I Lib, it depends on what my ultimate goal is and what is available before Liberalism is snagged by someone else. My technique does not mean that you cannot grab a tech that requires metal. Once you've used up that Great Scientist on Liberalism, you can then start to acquire metal techs rather easily, focusing specifically on those that link up with the tech that you want.
Right. But that might indeed make me lose Lib by 1 turn. Besides, I don't really have any techs with high trade values if I went Feud, Machinery and Guilds because that's what the AI would have gone for as well so I can't necessarily get the techs I want. That's my other concern with this strategy.
Thanks for the defense. I agree wholeheartedly with your two points. I would also note that I am effectively utilizing the substance of this article on Immortal, not Noble, although a Warrior rush does sound like fun. ;-).
That was just a well-known example to demonstrate the difference in winning strategies on different levels. Here's a video from Absolute Zero showcasing the longbow-rush on Immortal, and he himself says that the strategy is not effective on Deity. So do not be too hard on Mylene or Zx Zero Zx, as they simply evaluated the tactics you presented from their own point of view. (Assuming they do not want early longbows solely for defense purposes either.)

Would like to see this played out, like others I am very skeptical.
Brennus.Quigley said:
But why is getting to Liberalism more efficiently not a significant thing? Most people chasing Liberalism will bulb education and philosophy, but have to self-tech liberalism.
Throwing words like 'efficiency' around without any backing isn't helping your case. While the research path without these techs is undobtedly 'shorter', you have to remember that 'shorter' does not necessarily even mean 'faster', as you need to properly take into account the potential impact of the ignored techs.
Efficiency itself means a ratio of outcomes against inputs, and due to its meaning, trading for techs you have said to ignore will infact improve your research efficiency, unless you assume you have almost no trades of value to use on anything outside the Lib line.....
Brennus.Quigley said:
I think we would both agree that a hill with a lumber mill and railroad is better than a hill with a mine and a railroad (same production, +.5 health).
This is only valid if you compare both tiles in a vaccum, and in doing so completely ignore that keeping a forest is likely to deprive a player of 100+:hammers: by the time you reach Replaceable Parts, also remember that extra health from forests only matters if a) You have an even number of forests (0.5:health:=0:health!), and b) Your cities actually need the health, which they don't necessarily.

Similarly about the first quote, you seem to have ignored factors like trading, which will greatly eat into that 1170:science: (Aesthetics is routinely traded for IW and Philosophy can pick up MC with change), and how that affects your tech rate and bulb path (as many people do in fact bulb Liberalism!), and you have ignored the impact of the castrated expansion rate you will have by avoiding BW as no map ever makes it useless.

By the way, saying that always getting BW before Liberalism (or early in general) is not versatile is about as sensible as me saying that players not considering researching Genetics before Currency aren't being versatile! Versatility isn't just about how many paths you take, its about how you make those paths work for you! Being versatile is a major part of playing Deity.

EDIT
Another issue is that you haven't explained where you would be wanting to do this, and the map types involved are critical in properly assessing the impact of the supposed advantages, and the damage caused by the drawbacks.

While I can't see a lot of use for this strategy, I am again amazed at how many different ways there are to play this game. Good on you for pushing the envelope. I also applaud your ability to keep a positive attitude in the face of so much criticism.

I don't think you are trolling, you're understanding of the game and your ability to intelligently argue your point make me believe you are earnest.

That said, I don't believe it is an optimal strategy. But, unless you are always going for a high score, optimal is not necessarily more fun or interesting.

Thanks for your thoughts. As someone who also plays 4-month long, turn based multiplayer games where there's no rerolling and a bad move can spell your end, I'm more eager to learn how to play whatever map is rolled and am therefore also less risk prone.

Yes, sometimes you don't have much use of slavery but not having use of slavery, chops, copper, iron, metal casting, machinery, engineering, optics etc. before Liberalism is happening almost never.

Again, those techs have a lot of uses. It's not a question of whether they have absolute value or not. It's a question of relative value. Sometimes other paths in the tech tree have more relative value for a certain portion of the game.

Please don't get offended, but I think you need to learn using BW with its civic better. Until Immortal, I didn't use slavery for moral issues and left forests for lumbermills because of my high environmental conscience (laugh as much as you want but I played civ as sandbox game back then). Chops and slavery got me to deity and I still think I don't use slavery very efficiently. You also have uses of many techs and units requiring BW before Lib. Trebs for example, or Knights on lower levels.

I am always eager to improve my skills. But I am also already pretty decent at slavery when it is called for. I don't have any moral issues against it or chopping forests in a computer game. My only "moral" concern, however, is not abandoning my settler and unit in 4000 BC because I don't know how to play the map. I think some Deity players here would be wise to lower the difficulty a level rather than abandon the map. They might learn a thing or two about versatility.

You can chop the Oracle in 1 turn with or without marble. It's not that expensive and if you can get a good tech it's worth the tech and forest investment.

1 turn, huh? What, does that involve eight workers finishing off prechopped forests? Anyway, I'm not belittling anybody's Oracle strategy. People can chop out wooden oracles if they like.

TBH I assumed early vassals because that's the strategy that makes the most sense to me. Getting longbows solely for defensive purposes sounds pretty absurd (for single player games at least). You won't need it against barbs and if the diplomacy with an aggressive neighbor goes wrong for some reason walls and archers (+ axes, spears !) will do the job as long as you prepare your army to crush your neighbor which is what you should do in those situations. Turtling up will not help in the long run.

Longbows are good defensive units and are the right play sometimes. Having a good defense does not mean I'm necessarily turtling up, although that CAN be an effective strategy too sometimes. Peaceful victories are quite possible.

EDIT: Do you play always war?

No.

Right. But that might indeed make me lose Lib by 1 turn. Besides, I don't really have any techs with high trade values if I went Feud, Machinery and Guilds because that's what the AI would have gone for as well so I can't necessarily get the techs I want. That's my other concern with this strategy.

I think two different paths are being confused here. The direct to Liberalism path that my article highlights does not have one self-teching or bulbing Machinery and Guilds (and most likely not Feudalism). The Guilds push would be for knights. Machinery goes in a lot of directions, but not towards Liberalism.

That was just a well-known example to demonstrate the difference in winning strategies on different levels. Here's a video from Absolute Zero showcasing the longbow-rush on Immortal, and he himself says that the strategy is not effective on Deity. So do not be too hard on Mylene or Zx Zero Zx, as they simply evaluated the tactics you presented from their own point of view. (Assuming they do not want early longbows solely for defense purposes either.)

Again, I have never advocated a "longbow rush". I have advocated bulbing Feudalism with a Great Engineer from time to time and taking advantage of what it offers. Mylene and Zx Zero Zx should learn some manners and how to engage in civilized, mature debate.

Throwing words like 'efficiency' around without any backing isn't helping your case. While the research path without these techs is undobtedly 'shorter', you have to remember that 'shorter' does not necessarily even mean 'faster', as you need to properly take into account the potential impact of the ignored techs.
Efficiency itself means a ratio of outcomes against inputs, and due to its meaning, trading for techs you have said to ignore will infact improve your research efficiency, unless you assume you have almost no trades of value to use on anything outside the Lib line.....

By trading away your Lib techs, you are also helping the AIs get closer to it as well. I would welcome a trade if it made strategic sense.

This is only valid if you compare both tiles in a vaccum, and in doing so completely ignore that keeping a forest is likely to deprive a player of 100+ by the time you reach Replaceable Parts, also remember that extra health from forests only matters if a) You have an even number of forests (0.5=0:health!), and b) Your cities actually need the health, which they don't necessarily.

You forget that I prefaced that argument by saying that not chopping forested hills is most attractive when there are available bare hills to mine. You assume that one is working that forested hill early. And unhealthiness in production cities can be a late game concern.

Similarly about the first quote, you seem to have ignored factors like trading, which will greatly eat into that 1170 (Aesthetics is routinely traded for IW and Philosophy can pick up MC with change), and how that affects your tech rate and bulb path (as many people do in fact bulb Liberalism!), and you have ignored the impact of the castrated expansion rate you will have by avoiding BW as no map ever makes it useless.

I'll be the first to Liberalism and will enjoy my mid game chops. You'll be surprised how much quicker those universities and Oxford come when there are still some forests available to chop. We could go back and forth all day.

(as many people do in fact bulb Liberalism!)

I already acknowledged that. But skipping Bronze Working will allow you to bulb it 1170 beakers sooner. Trading is still cool. Just make sure it's a trade that gives you something that is helping you reach your goal.

By the way, saying that always getting BW before Liberalism (or early in general) is not versatile is about as sensible as me saying that players not considering researching Genetics before Currency aren't being versatile! Versatility isn't just about how many paths you take, its about how you make those paths work for you! Being versatile is a major part of playing Deity.

I never said that anyone who hasn't delayed Bronze Working until Liberalism isn't being versatile. I said that always going for Bronze Working early (as in the BCs) is not being versatile and that always libing military techs is not being versatile (in fact, he said that he didn't see any value in libing a non-military tech!). We would have a more fruitful back and forth if you took on the actual points that I'm making. Why the need to conflate "before Liberalism" and "early in general"? You don't see the difference?

My only "moral" concern, however, is not abandoning my settler and unit in 4000 BC because I don't know how to play the map. I think some Deity players here would be wise to lower the difficulty a level rather than abandon the map. They might learn a thing or two about versatility.

First, for your information, that Joao II map was thrown away for multiple reasons:
  • Deity Isolation is a special case amongst all levels of difficulty where percentage of victory is very low due to the lack of tech trading and control over the AI's. 50% of the game timeline is ruled by RNG and makes the game almost of a gamble.
  • Deity Fun Serie is about to attract people, not shunning them with master pieces of horrifying games. People has few hours daily in RL and I want to avoid 95% of shadowers losing 1-3 hours over a game almost unwinnable. Masochistic Deity serie is another serie of mine and dedicated to horrible maps.
  • I'm no deity player myself.
  • I've read a legion of threads of the past (2008-2010) in S&T and I found once in a while many opinions...negative opinions...from pro players about deity isolation as a terrible situation prone to RNG.

As regards to the present article, I think some people shifts too much on the deity aspect: deity level is a special level of difficulty that has a huge discrepancy from IMM because of the second settler (and slightly due to the bigger leap in handicaps). So much of a discrepancy the spectrum of efficient strategies (in term of those that lead to a winning situation) are reduced greatly. And given the second settler, you are so pressed to snatch the remaining unclaimed lands that BW is almost a must. And that is the main problem. IMM is more relaxed. If one retreats the deity difficulty, Brennus.Quigley strategy may work. Not the most optimal, but workable under right conditions.

And that is true chops are really powerful. And as far as I remember, one reason I like so much CIV over CivIII is the higher amount of forests and its base value. That makes the early game so fast. But, anyways, I never was able to play CivIII right.

Thanks for your thoughts. As someone who also plays 4-month long, turn based multiplayer games where there's no rerolling and a bad move can spell your end, I'm more eager to learn how to play whatever map is rolled and am therefore also less risk prone.
<snip>
I guess when I said this strategy might be a niche strategy for some maps I definitely referred to single player. There's no way you can pull this off in MP unless you play 5-year-olds. Do you really expect them to let you get away with not teching BW until you have Liberalism??? Or even Feudalism?
EDIT: I now understand your frenetic need for longbows but they do not enable you to chop or whip, which you will simply need in MP no matter how much forest or food you have.

Just keep going on about map rerolls, peoples who know me have seen me playing several tough starts here.
All i said was that iam not always in the mood, deity is hard enuf and sometimes you will want a nice start with less dragging involved. Everyone does that, @AZ too when he shows certain tactics and we all like him for doing that. Well i do at least, one of the guys really keeping Civ alive.
While you come here, and talk about how great your views are and how weak re-rolling makes players. Well you know what, nobody cares they just show you some interest cos this always happens here, no matter how dumb the posts are.

^
Mylene. Calm down plox. At least, he argues intelligently (but the vagueness needs to be fixed!). Remember MarigoldRan? I'm sure you don't want to see these kind of people again.

@Brennus

More thoughts:

Ignoring bottom of the tech tree not only makes you skip some juicy trades, but also leaves you without possibility to broker those techs you traded for.

Again, those techs have a lot of uses. It's not a question of whether they have absolute value or not. It's a question of relative value. Sometimes other paths in the tech tree have more relative value for a certain portion of the game.

I am questioning the relative value. You virtually boost your tech rate while slowing your growth. It is usually matter of optimizing which path is better. But that would be correct only in no tech trade games. When you can trade, BW wins by far. You mentioned those 1170 beakers again. That assumes no tech trading. In most of my games those 1170 beakers are 0 beakers, you guess right: it is beacuse of tech trades. And how will you backfill on those techs? Trade for them? By that time those techs will be cheap and you will soon hit WFYABTA while your empire will be underdeveloped and won't be able to tech them fast. Also, every new era erases one tech from WFYABTA limit. Since you won't trade much early game, you LOSE beakers.

Even if that was not a problem, you still have underdeveloped empire to produce anything you are producing.

You'll be surprised how much quicker those universities and Oxford come when there are still some forests available to chop.

"Chopping universities" implies you have enough forests to go BW early. I'll tell that 6 forests in BFC of foodless city can be enough to make BW no brainer for me. You said your strat is for food low starts. What is the better way of making your opening faster (food low starts are often dubbed "slow starts") than faster settlers (chopped) to claim that food somewhere?

I said that always going for Bronze Working early (as in the BCs) is not being versatile and that always libing military techs is not being versatile (in fact, he said that he didn't see any value in libing a non-military tech!).

If I go culture, I Lib Nationalism for the sake of common sense. However, I can always win culture game, so I don't go for it. Sometimes I resort to it. I can also almost always win UN if I decide it early enough. What I can't win always are Conquest, Domination, and if short on land, Space Race. That is where challenge lies for me. And, again, for the common sense, I will Lib something Militarily. Libbing PP or Replaceable Parts instead of Rifling is a downer. I'll still take it but will be a bit disappointed. With Marble, I'll consider Libbing Nationalism for Taj Mahal.

Trust me, you must be versatile on Deity since you don't play with your deck. You always have what game gives you. With experience you can anticipate future outcomes earlier and recognize what wins certain games. But you can never know it at the beginning, which is exactly the time one has to go after your strategy. Early game is still too great of a mystery to avoid best growth civic in the game. And growth is good.

We don't agree on Lumbermill vs. Mine. For me, opportunity cost of not chopping that forest is far too great, and if game goes as far as industrial era, I already have more than enough means of combating unhealth. Even without war. If you chop 2-3 more settlers you can settle more health resources too. I'll give you a simple advice, rule actually in civilization: early benefits > late benefits. For example, game in which i had most cottages was the one in which I didn't build a single cottage.

I know you will not change your mind simply because you invested too much energy into all of this, but for the sake of your better play, consider those tips. Some of your replies uncovered that there are some parts of civilization you are still to understand.
But I am also already pretty decent at slavery when it is called for.

This is a problem. You are satisfied with your skill. I am not saying you are a bad player, there are not too many civvers able to beat Immortal. But Immortal is still too forgiving to show you what you did wrong.

I can tell you how I made Emperor--> Deity jump in a month and a half (spoilered because it is boring):

Spoiler :
I was sandbox civilization player (Monarch/Emperor), playing 3 marathon huge games a year since 2006. Then I had a 2 year hiatus and Sulla's multiplayer game write-up made me interested in civ again. Then I saw some TMIT's vids and heard of civfanatics and went here. Here I found Kossin's Daily Rounds and got interested in deity. I played some Immortal games (5-6) with some tips from civfanatics (read strategy articles a lot), also switched to normal speed, and managed to win 2 UN games. Then I started playing Deity (while struggling on Immortal) and ate nothing but dust following month until I finally won domination. Then my win percentage was rising and rising and is now pretty high. And you know what, there are still much better players than me out there and still many things for me to learn.

What made me jump so quickly was probably attitude that I don't know a shi* and no previous ''knowledge'' which I had to forgot to adapt and improve. I suspect you, unfortunatelly, have some baggage.

When dust covers this article, I hope you'll be able to get out of your defensive position and really hear arguments people here are presenting you.

Edit: Note to myself: reload before posting. Good points Tachy. Mylene is right too, don't be fooled by her temper. She's strong deity player and knows a thing or two about the game.

What temper..getting bored of always being forced of playing nice here, when others do low punts whenever they like or go nuts (ment in a friendly way). This whole judging peoples game gets old.

I am always eager to improve my skills. But I am also already pretty decent at slavery when it is called for. I don't have any moral issues against it or chopping forests in a computer game. My only "moral" concern, however, is not abandoning my settler and unit in 4000 BC because I don't know how to play the map. I think some Deity players here would be wise to lower the difficulty a level rather than abandon the map. They might learn a thing or two about versatility.

Seriously stop attacking deity players for re-rolling starts that are simply not good no matter what your strategy is. You have NEVER won, or for that matter even PLAYED a deity start. A start can be crap while still having tons of forests. When a deity player re-rolls a start is is almost always going to be because it has a double plains cow glitch with no other food. Now you are going to go, and try to make me believe that with your no BW strategy you would have no trouble at all winning one of these starts. But you have yet to take into account how you will get cities past your first built settler. Because with the the poor tiles you are given on these starts that is all you will ever get. Not to mention you will have a lot of fun with the barbs, and even more fun when one of the AI declare on you because you are piss weak with 2 cities.

Now telling deity players to lower the difficulty because they don't want to deal with trying to win on a near unbeatable map is just childish. You are judging people who play on a much more difficult setting than you for not trying to win something you would not win in 100 tries on the map. You go on about how you are so versatile, and that the deity players who are using the strongest strategy are not. Yet you completely ignore the fact that it is the STRONGEST strategy for a reason. You will poo poo that as Bronze Working dogma, but that is you being arrogant. You have exhausted way to much energy into this for you to give up now so you are going to continue pushing that you are right, and the best players are wrong. But please show the best players that you have any minute ounce of skill. Show them in your 20 or so games played you have some how become an infinitely better player than they have in their tens of thousands of games played combined. Please go ahead, and show us before this article becomes a pile of sand like all of the other dead ones.

Mylene and Zx Zero Zx should learn some manners and how to engage in civilized, mature debate.

I really like how you added an attack on to us in the response to another persons comment. This truly shows me that you are getting your panties in a bunch because you are starting to see that the better players see right through you. Even better yet I love how you came into another thread just to attack us. This gives me a good feeling, as it shows me that I don't even need to troll you to make you rage like a 12 year old girl. Now maturity lets not even go there, as both parties need to be mature to have a mature debate, and I know my party is.

^
Mylene. Calm down plox. At least, he argues intelligently (but the vagueness needs to be fixed!). Remember MarigoldRan? I'm sure you don't want to see these kind of people again.

I remember that period.
I left CFC and civ4 for about a year, shortly thereafter.
I wonder if there was a connection?

Arguments ad hominem are always dull regardless who posts them. I don't see much value in continuing this thread until a game is actually posted to compare relative merits of delaying BW.

I just spotted this thread and the related one in S&T. Thank you, Brennus, for an provocative argument that you have intelligently and pleasantly argued. It's refreshing to see some new ideas, especially advanced by someone who actually understands a bit about the game.

Like UnforcedError, I was willing to give you a bit of slack and consider the possibility that it might be right occasionally. Kudos to her for actually trying it out. Unfortunately, Brennus, I have to say that your detractors have the better case.

I can recall at least one game where I traded for BW instead of researching it myself but that's all about opportunity costs. Actively avoiding it is quite something else. I want it just for the tile yield and dot mapping purposes and, of course, there are far more important reasons. Other folks have already made these points so I won't go over them. I will say that, if I manage to get a GE in the early game, I won't be using it to bulb Feudalism.

Oh, and welcome to the forum. It's good to see some new blood around here.

First, for your information, that Joao II map was thrown away for multiple reasons:

Oh, I wasn't speaking of any one particular person or incident. You actually seem like a cool dude and have been cordial and open-minded the whole time. And deity isolation with Joao II sounds like a serious challenge. And by the way, I wouldn't consider trying, falling behind, and then retiring to be a problem (which is what happened on that map). That's just part of learning on any level. I would, however, consider seeing an uncomfortable map and then immediately rerolling it without trying it out to be self-limiting. Maybe you agree.

I guess when I said this strategy might be a niche strategy for some maps I definitely referred to single player. There's no way you can pull this off in MP unless you play 5-year-olds. Do you really expect them to let you get away with not teching BW until you have Liberalism??? Or even Feudalism?
EDIT: I now understand your frenetic need for longbows but they do not enable you to chop or whip, which you will simply need in MP no matter how much forest or food you have.

Well, since these turn-based multiplayer games take so long to finish, we haven't played too many worlds yet, but it is more fun and meaningful to beat humans. And yes, my article is intended for normal, single player maps, or any other scenario where people can extract value from it.

While you come here, and talk about how great your views are and how weak re-rolling makes players.

Rerolling doesn't make players weak. It makes them reinforce their strengths and avoid maps that are uncomfortable or confusing to them.

Well you know what, nobody cares they just show you some interest cos this always happens here, no matter how dumb the posts are.

Repeat: "Mylene...should learn some manners and how to engage in civilized, mature debate."

You mentioned those 1170 beakers again. That assumes no tech trading...Ignoring bottom of the tech tree not only makes you skip some juicy trades, but also leaves you without possibility to broker those techs you traded for.

I never said you couldn't trade techs. There's lots of non-Bronze Working techs you'll want to pick up from the AI before you use that Great Scientist Liberalism bulb (if that is the approach taken). And you can broker them as well. To get Liberalism first in any game, you're most likely going to have to push yourself up there. You're not going to trade up for Liberalism or the techs that precede it. You can trade down to grab portions of other tech lines. Following a direct non-Bronze Working path for your research is the most direct path upwards towards Liberalism, and, if you want to save those 1170 beakers, you should avoid trading specifically for Bronze Working. Feel free to trade for and broker other non-Bronze Working techs.

And how will you backfill on those techs? Trade for them? By that time those techs will be cheap and you will soon hit WFYABTA while your empire will be underdeveloped and won't be able to tech them fast. Also, every new era erases one tech from WFYABTA limit.

I haven't experienced this problem.

You said your strat is for food low starts.

Not exactly. I said that low food starts make slavery less attractive. I can imagine some high food starts where one should also consider avoiding Bronze Working for a bit. High food starts can still sync with the Code of Laws path (specialists) or the Monarchy path (city growth).

If I go culture, I Lib Nationalism for the sake of common sense...With Marble, I'll consider Libbing Nationalism for Taj Mahal.

Now your more versatile side is coming out. Should I assume the earlier comment about Libing a non-military tech having no value was just an exaggeration to try to make your case stronger?

early benefits > late benefits. For example, game in which i had most cottages was the one in which I didn't build a single cottage.

Congratulations on sweeping the map. That must have been a nice score for you.

I know you will not change your mind simply because you invested too much energy into all of this, but for the sake of your better play, consider those tips.

Either that, or you haven't convinced me. And of course, I've never downplayed how useful Bronze Working is on most maps.

You are satisfied with your skill. I am not saying you are a bad player, there are not too many civvers able to beat Immortal. But Immortal is still too forgiving to show you what you did wrong.

Well, since you're winning on Deity and I haven't yet rolled a Deity map, I'm happy to concede that you are most likely an overall better player than me at the moment. But we could also probably agree that I'm better than you were after you had played for 15 months (since you were stuck on Monarchy/Emperor). We're approaching the game differently with different skills sets. I'm not going to stop harnessing some alternative strategies that I've found useful on some Immortal maps just because some existing Deity players get worked up when someone questions their conventional wisdom.

When a deity player re-rolls a start is is almost always going to be because it has a double plains cow glitch with no other food.

It's not a glitch.

But you have yet to take into account how you will get cities past your first built settler.

The options would depend on the shape of the map. I already gave you a relatively basic tip about trying to block off land with the culture from your second city.

Yet you completely ignore the fact that it is the STRONGEST strategy for a reason.

I acknowledge that it is the strongest on about 70% of the maps. And that number is an educated guess on my part.

You will poo poo that as Bronze Working dogma, but that is you being arrogant. You have exhausted way to much energy into this for you to give up now so you are going to continue pushing that you are right, and the best players are wrong.

I'm sorry, do you consider yourself to be one of these "best players"? And I'm the arrogant one? Actually, I think some players better than you have already offered up words of encouragement for thinking outside the box and acknowledged that avoiding Bronze Working might be optimal on some (rare) maps.

Show them in your 20 or so games played you have some how become an infinitely better player than they have in their tens of thousands of games played combined.

Why do you claim to know how many games I've played? You think I'd be winning on Immortal after 20 games? It's hard to have a serious discussion with you. It's much easier and more fruitful to have this strategy debate with those that are capable of making meaningful counter arguments.

I really like how you added an attack on to us in the response to another persons comment. This truly shows me that you are getting your panties in a bunch because you are starting to see that the better players see right through you.

I repeat: "Zx Zero Zx should learn some manners and how to engage in civilized, mature debate." That's not an attack. It's advice. And a request.

Arguments ad hominem are always dull regardless who posts them. I don't see much value in continuing this thread until a game is actually posted to compare relative merits of delaying BW.

Sorry you find it dull. But I do have some real life work to attend to for a week or so and am therefore happy to wait on continuing this discussion/argument until I have some actual time to devote to a new single player game.

I just spotted this thread and the related one in S&T. Thank you, Brennus, for an provocative argument that you have intelligently and pleasantly argued. It's refreshing to see some new ideas, especially advanced by someone who actually understands a bit about the game.

Like UnforcedError, I was willing to give you a bit of slack and consider the possibility that it might be right occasionally. Kudos to her for actually trying it out. Unfortunately, Brennus, I have to say that your detractors have the better case.

I can recall at least one game where I traded for BW instead of researching it myself but that's all about opportunity costs. Actively avoiding it is quite something else. I want it just for the tile yield and dot mapping purposes and, of course, there are far more important reasons. Other folks have already made these points so I won't go over them. I will say that, if I manage to get a GE in the early game, I won't be using it to bulb Feudalism.

Oh, and welcome to the forum. It's good to see some new blood around here.

Thank you for the polite and cordial response. Since you have an open mind and a cordial attitude, I look forward to the opportunity of convincing you otherwise. Good times.

Who agreed with you that actively wins on Deity? Duckweed? I'll give you that he is better than me, but he sure as hell didn't agree with you.

Now this guess that it will be good about 30% of the time is extremely over exaggerated, and is really more like 6%. But to make things even better, before you said you should do it ALL the time. Not just on certain maps that it might help a small amount on. But then again you are forgetting about tech brokering so it is still not very good there.

I believe you incorrectly assumed gender again. :D

Cool for sure. Dude? I don't think so...

Wow! 0 for 3 on that! Sorry, ladies.

Now this guess that it will be good about 30% of the time is extremely over exaggerated, and is really more like 6%.

6%, huh?! That's a significant portion of the maps. So you agree with me now, huh?

But to make things even better, before you said you should do it ALL the time. Not just on certain maps that it might help a small amount on. But then again you are forgetting about tech brokering so it is still not very good there.

From the article: "a lot of maps sync with Bronze Working, but not all...Bronze Working with its chopping, whipping, and Axemen is often times great, just not all the time."

And of course, tech trading and brokering is just fine (you can trade for Mathematics, Construction, Aesthetics, Drama, Music, etc...).

Really, it's hard to have a meaningful conversation with you about this. Don't worry though, I just rolled an excellent map on my second try (literally second try). I look forward to playing it and posting the 4000BC save for everyone to enjoy. In the meantime, enjoy your Bronze Working...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom