Rhye's Catapult

I'm a little worried about the civ creation thing. Let's say you play as Rome, do you knowingly settle in German lands knowing they will flip? If it gets close to Spain's time, do you send your units to the Iberian peninsula to ambush them? How can you not?

Here's something I was thinking: no settlers. I love world maps, but the ai always angers me by spreading their cities too thin. Would it be possible for a city to be spawned based on mother city factors? For example, once a city passes population 3 for the 1st time with a certain amount of culture then a city is created 2-3 squares away and within cultural borders. Maybe another for size 6 or the capital could spawn more than other cities. Once there is no more room for another city, colonists could be spawned (with a tech?, one per turn in case of backlog?). Maybe certain tiles could be attached to certain city names, so if the Aztecs encroach on American lands atleast the city would be called Atlanta instead of Kolomoki.

Very interesting comment, Stile, but the questions you ask in the beginning of your paragraphs can be applied to what you propose too (maybe even more, as it's more scripted).
However, you will soon see and judge if and how it works in the current state.

Rhye said:
Very interesting comment, Stile, but the questions you ask in the beginning of your paragraphs can be applied to what you propose too (maybe even more, as it's more scripted).
However, you will soon see and judge if and how it works in the current state.
Thanks, Rhye. I can't wait.

I meant my comments to be seperate. I had the city-spawning idea (which I guess wouldn't have to be exclusive of settlers) and then started daydreaming about playing the mod you described and became a little concerned. I really don't have a solution, but perhaps it's not an issue.

Gah, seeing those screen shots returns that feeling of amazement at how well the first one was designed. I still can't believe how many times I saw history working itself out on the board.

@Stile: Bloody good point... you exploit monger! :p

Perhaps (in regards to the Spain point) there should be simultaneous spawns of barbarians at random points around the globe whenever a new civ spawns.

I admit its a messy way to deal with the situation, but it would at least distract enemies for a little bit while the civ in question ramps up. That, and a healthy military and starting cash load would give them some more time.

I am using Firaxis next patch (that will require many mods to be updated), so yes, I can't share the mod until you get it

Rhye, I envy you...

I assume you can´t give any details on it? NDA and all that stuff... But can you tell us if it is worth the wait?

Hey! No fair! If Rhye is using it it must be done! :p

Gah, patience is a virtue that sells for more than its worth. I'll give you all my patience for a sack of relief.

A thought about civ spawning - maybe it could happen in two phases: the first phase would see cities in the designated area turning barbarian (or instead large barbarian hordes appearing and attacking cities in the designated area); in the second phase barbarian cities would start flipping to the new civ and some units would spawn in the newly flipped cities. We could also try and set up actual unit-flipping for this purpose - any barbarian units within a tile of the flipped cities could automatically flip as well. In phase two if there are no cities to flip a place will be found in the greater designated area for the new civ to get a bunch of up-to-date units and a small number of settlers.
Now that I wrote this I'm not quite sure how it would help, but whatever... We will see how much of a problem this is when we can play the mod.

elhoim said:
Rhye, I envy you...

I assume you can´t give any details on it? NDA and all that stuff... But can you tell us if it is worth the wait?

Envy? Testing a patch a month earlier than you isn't that special...

Anyway I don't know how to judge if it's worth the wait or not...it depends on what you're waiting for

Mmm Candy... most definately worth the wait if its good candy... must be good candy.

Rhye, while looking to the "python sdk" I found the "minor civ" attribute. Do you know what does this mean? It seems that is different from barbarian and normal AI, but couldn't figure it out it's purpose (there's no documentation yet). Maybe that's the key for spawning cities to the new civilizations: turning them to "minor" civ for few turns.

Does anyone know the game Rome: Total War? I like the idea of cities used there: you can't found a city nor destroy it. What about using the same idea in your mods? (maybe a bit differently: this would be the rule only for Europe, Eastern Asia and North Africa). It would definitely take out some of the game's flawor, but could make the city spawn suggested by Blasphemous more realistic.

Mmm yes im a fan of all the Total War games and the all use that system... creating a Risk feel i think... Obviously though that would have to be implemented carefully.

For instance it still does not deal with the threat of a player gathering an army near where a city will spawn and rolling over it. Though honestly i cant think exactly how that will be dealt with best.

Minor civs: Creating it as a minor civ first might eject all foreign units in its territory since they start at war. I'm not crazy about minor civs because everyone gets a diplo bonus for being at war with them which prevents more wars between other civs I assume.

Maybe their territory could be protected with a 'Wilderness' terrain which grants crazy defensive bonuses and prevents settling but gradually changes to decent food producing tiles.

Or how about we just have a pop up which says: the nation of Spain is under construction! Please come back in five days!

And then just disallow declaring war on Spain for a few turns :p

Cheesy as it sounds, this would be the least invasive thing we could do.

A more realistic one is to have a regionwide troop count done before spawn, and then create an equivalent force for the spawning nation. Not the same size (which would cause it to go broke, probably) but give it a goodly force.

It is sort of ridiculous that most of our thought on how this will work is going into how to prevent player exploitation...

Its funny that you've thought along those lines Aeon, because I've been thinking about developing a system kinda like that recently. The idea of "production" has always bothered me too, you put it as well as I could. The conclusion I reached, however, is that changing that way this all works would upset the entire balance of Civ too much.

There also, as always, might be an issue with the AI's ability to handle a radical change such as this. I really don't know though, it would need to be tested.

I think that if you're really serious about doing this you should do it yourself as a stand alone mod and then if it works out well Rhye might incorportate it in. I could help you if you wanted me to. I have moderate experience modding xml files so far, its really not very difficult, just time consuming.

Gunner, that sounds damned delightful! I don't know much about coding, but I would pick it up to make something like this.

Problem is, I don't really know where to start with the coding, but since I just deleted a perfect sword in Guild Wars by accident, I'll be turned off of that game for the next few days... so plenty of time to feck with civ4! :p

If the rest of the team is interested, I'll not open a new thread. Otherwise, I'll pack up and put this show on the road. Which is _not_ to say I'm gonna abandon the greatest mod to be made for c4... just that I don't want to steal its thread :p

EDIT: Now listed as Mod Without A Name

Top Bottom