EnclosedSpace Mapscript Discussion

TC01

Deity
UPDATE: 9/20/09

Based on discussion in the Next Patch thread, I'm working on making a variation of the Final Frontier mapscript to produce a region of "enclosed space" for Antaran territory. Then, there will be two wormhole-style Dimensional Portals linking the enclosed space and the territory outside.

CURRENTLY: The mapscript makes the enclosed space. It places a Dimensional Portal(FEATURE_DIMENSIONAL_PORTAL) inside. It places one outside as well. It randomizes the enclosed space- it can be in one of four corners. It places a barbarian city and 5 Battleship IIIs inside.

IT DOESN'T: Give "Teh Alienz" civilization the stuff inside enclosed space.

Changelog for latest update:

-Fixed bug where the row of nebula on the edge of the map was not generated, thus placing a hole in the barrier.
-Forced a solar system to appear in the enclosed space (as the generator didn't always put one there).
-Prevented radiation clouds, asteroids, or nebula from appearing inside the enclosed space (so the fractal generator can't fill the enclosed space full of radiation clouds before the solar system and portal are placed). Nebula still appear outside.

So a few questions to think about:

1. What should the Dimensional Portal look like? Should it just be one of the existing wormholes? Or should it be another recolor? If so, what color should it be?

2. What should be placed inside the Enclosed Space?

3. Should I change the name to "AntaranSpace"?

4. Should I allow the player to choose which portion of the map the enclosed space is located in?

Download: Download the zip below, overwrite your MOO2Civ patch4k directory with the one in the link, say yes to overwrite files. This isn't intended as a modmod, but you could install it as one.

Attachments

• MOO2Civ patch4k.zip
    27.4 KB · Views: 194
First off: thanks for picking this up so quickly.:thumbsup:

1. What should the Dimensional Portal look like? Should it just be one of the existing wormholes? Or should it be another recolor? If so, what color should it be?

Purple seems fine. (Is it possible to make it a hidden feature? Not sure if that's really necessary though.)

2. What should be placed inside the Enclosed Space?

I think the Antaran capital (i.e. Antares). A problem I see here is that it should contain the most advanced units available. Would it be possible to use the mapscript for a multiple scenario? (Where one of, say 4, scenarios load at random? So you'll know that Antares will be in a corner, but not which one? Don't know if that's possible with Civ IV.)

3. Should I change the name to "AntaranSpace"?

I'll leave that up to you, but it might be more appropriate,

4. Should I allow the player to choose which portion of the map the enclosed space is located in?

I think that's not really desirable. (See #2.)

Purple seems fine. (Is it possible to make it a hidden feature? Not sure if that's really necessary though.)

By "hidden" do you mean that you can't see it on the map? Well, since there's only two on the map, one inside and one outside, this shouldn't be a problem. You have to search for it.

I think the Antaran capital (i.e. Antares). A problem I see here is that it should contain the most advanced units available. Would it be possible to use the mapscript for a multiple scenario? (Where one of, say 4, scenarios load at random? So you'll know that Antares will be in a corner, but not which one? Don't know if that's possible with Civ IV.)

It should be possible. I've been working on randomizing it to appear in the other possible corners. Once that's done, I'll release a version of it.

By "hidden" do you mean that you can't see it on the map? Well, since there's only two on the map, one inside and one outside, this shouldn't be a problem. You have to search for it.

Yeah, I was thinking of Dimensional Portal being linked to a specific tech in MOO II. In BtS that may be both unpractical as well as unnecessary.

It should be possible. I've been working on randomizing it to appear in the other possible corners. Once that's done, I'll release a version of it.

Cool!:thumbsup:

Yeah, I was thinking of Dimensional Portal being linked to a specific tech in MOO II. In BtS that may be both unpractical as well as unnecessary.

I'd probably create a new feature then, using either the Purple Wormhole graphics or new graphics, call it DIMENSIONAL_PORTAL, and then you can block units from being able to move onto it without a certain technology (<FeaturePassableTechs> in CIV4UnitInfos.xml). But for the first version, I'm just using the Purple Wormhole.

I've uploaded a beta version. There are probably some bugs, but what it should do is make the enclosed space, randomly in a corner, and then place a solar system and Dimensional Portal in it.

It currently places a barbarian city and 5 battleship III units on the solar system.

There seem to be some problems with the mapscript. I installed it as per post #1, but on turn 2 my first Probe unit appears randomly on the map when I move it out of the starting position and I gain huge amounts of cash and several advances. Also, did you make the Portal feature hidden? (As it doesn't actually show.) I tried it on Huge size with Play Now and Custom Game, using different civs. There also seems to be a hidden Option added and checked , with no description as to what it does (didn't open the file to see what it was). Other than that, the Enclosed Space appears correctly on the map each time (in one of the corner areas) - I checked in Worldbuilder.

Do you have FEATURE_DIMENSIONAL_PORTAL defined correctly in CIV4FeatureInfos.xml? Exactly that?

The problem you are experiencing is the "Move through every plot at once!" problem. One of the four features below:

FEATURE_WORMHOLE
FEATURE_RED_WORMHOLE
FEATURE_PURPLE_WORMHOLE
FEATURE_DIMENSIONAL_WORMHOLE

is not defined in CIV4FeatureInfos.xml or in my module. The bug occurs because the code gets another plot with one of the above features if you move onto it and then sends you there. If FEATURE_WORMHOLE = -1, then all featureless plots will have FeatureType = -1, and your unit will be sent to every one. (Thus springing goodies, getting you cash and advances).

I didn't actually add FEATURE_DIMENSIONAL_PORTAL... you have to do that yourself, to the XML files. (Sorry, maybe I should have been clearer).

There seem to be some problems with the mapscript. I installed it as per post #1, but on turn 2 my first Probe unit appears randomly on the map when I move it out of the starting position and I gain huge amounts of cash and several advances.

Also endless promotions?
If yes: Turn on the python exceptions, something crashes on loading.

No promotions occurred, just gaining several advances.

Do you have FEATURE_DIMENSIONAL_PORTAL defined correctly in CIV4FeatureInfos.xml? Exactly that?

The problem you are experiencing is the "Move through every plot at once!" problem. One of the four features below:

FEATURE_WORMHOLE
FEATURE_RED_WORMHOLE
FEATURE_PURPLE_WORMHOLE
FEATURE_DIMENSIONAL_WORMHOLE

is not defined in CIV4FeatureInfos.xml or in my module. The bug occurs because the code gets another plot with one of the above features if you move onto it and then sends you there. If FEATURE_WORMHOLE = -1, then all featureless plots will have FeatureType = -1, and your unit will be sent to every one. (Thus springing goodies, getting you cash and advances).

I didn't actually add FEATURE_DIMENSIONAL_PORTAL... you have to do that yourself, to the XML files. (Sorry, maybe I should have been clearer).

I figured as much, so yeah, that's what I did. Since there were no errors or warnings after I changed the files, I assumed I did it correctly.

Ah, I forgot to mention: also on turn 2 my civ gains contact with all civs and the whole map is revealed.:confused:

I thought maybe I did something wrong installing (using my working version for the next patch, with Minor Annoyance's Charisma files), but that doesn't appear to be the case following some PMing with him...

I'll do some testing with this when I have time... worst comes to worst I can just make the Dimensional Portal the Purple Wormhole.

One thing you can try- try moving the Dimensional Portal feature from CIV4FeatureInfos.xml into Wormholes_CIV4FeatureInfos.xml. I don't know why it should work, but it might.

Try the zipped CIV4FeatureInfos.xml. Overwrite your existing one. A quick test revealed everything worked fine...

OK (haven't had the opportunity yet to follow up on your previous suggestion...); I'll check ASAP. ;)

OK (haven't had the opportunity yet to follow up on your previous suggestion...); I'll check ASAP. ;)

So... have you had the time to check it yet?

Just wondering how this is going.

Sorry, I've been on a bit of a modding break. Using your latest file, I now get stuck on init again... :( (I've used patch4k, not my current working version, so you can check if you want to.)

I downloaded the zip in the first post, copied over the mapscript into PublicMaps and the CvFinalFrontierEvents.py into Assets\Python. Then I unzipped the CIV4FeatureInfos.xml and copied it into Assets\XML\Terrain.

No errors occured on doing that... I successfully loaded a Duel map game. Was working off of an unmodded Patch 4k download... at least I think I was...

Well, that sounds good. Perhaps you could upload the mapscript with the correct attach files instead? Ready to install, as it were. That way I could include your creation easier in the next patch. Would that be a problem? (There must be an error somewhere, but assuming it's on my end, after I edit my files I get no errors/warnings and other than that I can't tell what I've done wrong.)

Top Bottom