New Technology Ideas

fulano

Warlord
The idea for this thread is for people to discuss ideas on how to include new techs in from MoO2.
This link is to a website that describes all the techs in Masters of Orion II
http://strategywiki.org/wiki/Master_of_Orion_II/Table_of_Contents
I found out that many of the buildings in this game are coded to do what they do, like those that add population to planets or those that add to worker output.

I left out some unneeded techs.

Construction:
Artificial Planet Construction:
Can you add planets to a star? would require scripting

Advanced City Planning:
+1 max pop on all planets (national wonder) would require scripting

Power:
Outpost: ??

Food Replicators:
+2 food -1 industry (building) (Would require scripting)

Megafulxers:
+5 experience (national wonder) (Included in the minimod v2.0)

Sociology:
Xeno Psychology:
+relation with other players?

Alien Control Center: ??

Computers:
Scoutlab:
+50% attack vs Barbarians (and creatures) (Would require the barbarians to have unique ships)

Rangemaster Targeting Unit:
+1 first strike? (promotion) (Included in the minimod v2.0)

Biology:
Cloning Center:
+10% food (building) (Included in the minimod v2.0)

Telepathic Training:
+5% espionage (building or national wonder) (Included in the minimod v2.0) (or promotion for spies??)

Microbiotics:
+10% food (national wonder or building) (Would require scripting to make it increase food across the empire)

Terraforming:
+2 food per worker, +2 max pop (building) (Would require scripting)

Psionics:
+10% espionage (national wonder) (Included in the minimod v2.0 as a building)

Heightened Intelligence:
+1 gold per worker (national wonder) (Would require scripting)

Universal Antidote:+10% food (national wonder) (Would require scripting)

Biomorphic Fungi:
+1 food per worker (building) (Would require scripting)

Gaia Transformation:
+2 max pop, +1 food per worker (building) (Would require scripting)

Evolutionary mutation:
1 free tech, free great person (Included in the minimod v2.0, gives health and happiness and free tech)

Physics:
Communication Techs:
+5 free units each tech (It is possible if the techs enable civics that give free units)

Time Warp Facilitator:
+1 movement, +1 first strike (promotion) (Included in the minimod v2.0, allows multiple attacks per turn)

Star Gate:
+1 road travel or Airlift ability (or both?) (Would require scripting)

Hyper-Advanced Physics:
Doomstar II (Included in the minimod v2.0)

Force Fields:
Gyro Destabalizer:
+10% vs capital ships (promotion) (Included in the minimod v2.0)

Warp Dissipater:
can you reduce or prevent enemy withdrawal?

Stealth Suit:
10% espionage (national wonder?)

Pulsar:
+10% interception, +20% collateral (Included in the minimod v2.0)

Warp Interdictor:
Block barbarians from entering borders (Probably would require scripting)

Stasis Field: ??

Subspace Teleporter:
Para-drop ability (Would require scripting)

Hyper-Advanced Force Fields:
Doomstar III (Included in the minimod v2.0)

I will edit this list as people suggest ideas.

Excellent initiative, once again! :)

Some techs may be unnecessary (Alien Control Centre is kind of an automatic Civ function on "city" capture, where there is more or less resistance, depending on pop size) or hard to implement (AFAIK), like the Force Field techs... (And I'm afraid I haven't gotten around to adding more Great People, but I like the idea of, say, Advanced City anagement as a National Wonder.)

On

Outpost: Similar to starbase. Built by worker, invisible like spies or stealth units, has large extra line of sight, no gold cost, does consume worker.

I'd like to say that AFAIK the MoO outpost merely functions as a range extension (like a culture/fort square?); I do seem to remember a modcomp for something like this, but not what it is called.

Outpost: Similar to starbase. Built by worker, invisible like spies or stealth units, has large extra line of sight, no gold cost, does consume worker.

I thought of the idea to improve the gameplay of the mod for these reasons, not emulate MoO2's outpost:
-It would be a good barbarian defense method by reducing the number of tiles available for them to respawn in and keeping them away from your empire.
-It can help a player keep track of his space lanes.
-It can be a warning of invaders since ships can show up at your star in one turn when they get the movement updates.
-It makes the worker unit a little more useful.
-They would be cheaper than stealth ships and starbases.

Although the stealth ship does do pretty well for these things too. I just thought an outpost would have better sight range. Would it be better to just stick with the stealth ship for these purposes? Stealth ships are able to attack stray scouts, marines, and invasion ships and an outpost wouldn't be able to do that.

Indeed. Also, you'd have to actually defend the outpost square. (It'd be nice though to have an Outpost function that spawns a Marine/Armor/Robo-Warrior once.)

Not quite sure where to put this (it also contains some gameplay feedback), but the main idea is that the tech tree sucks:

Ok, I've played this a few times through and I need to comment fully, for better and for worse:

1) Excellent endeavor, very nice so far -- however:

2) The tech system is rather worthless. Making weapons and armor be merely unit upgrades makes them a joke when they can only be applied as combat experience upgrades. It's much more intelligent to simply tech up to the next ship class and take the preset attack/defense numbers and ignore the other 3/4 of the techs dealing with minor 10% bonuses.

Suggestion: Why not have certain weapon/armor upgrades be prerequisites to unlocking larger ship classes? This forces more techs to become viable.

Example:
Scout (default) -- no req -- nuclear missile (default) -- no req

Frigate -- req laser cannon -- req merculite missile -- req titanium armor
Hv Frigate -- req fusion beam

Destroyer -- req mass driver -- require pulson missile -- req tritanium armor
Hv Destroyer -- req neutron blaster

Cruiser -- req ion cannon -- req anti-matter torpedo -- req zortium armor
Hv Cruiser -- req graviton beam

Battleship -- req phasor -- req zeon missile -- req neutronium armor
Hv Battleship -- req gauss cannon

Titan -- req plasma cannon -- req proton torpedo -- req adamantium armor
Hv Titan - req disrupter cannon

Doom Star -- req mauler device -- req plasma torpedo -- req xentronium armor
HV Doom -- req death ray

This forces your techs to be directly related to the ships, just like in MOO2. Then make your techs that give combat bonuses make up the combat upgrades, example:

Weapon upgrades: piercing -> enveloping -> continuous -> autofire
System upgrades: battle scanner -> auto repair ->
Defense upgrades: jammer -> capacitar -> displacement device -> cloaking

That way as a ship levels, the upgrades unlock as well, which is probably about the time the research has unlocked them. That would make your game WAY closer to MOO2 and much more enjoyable to level, not to mention the AI would be much better.

3) Can you list requirements in the (moo)ilopedia? It would be nice to know what techs unlock starbases and other game improvements. I don't know if it's a bug or a requirement somewhere, but I've noticed I cannot build them or even shipyards on certain star systems (cities) regardless of my resources, techs, or connected starlanes (roads). It'd be nice to know what's required so the player can seek those needs.

Other than that, great game, I hope you take it to another level.

Star Gate: Allows a tile imporement of the same name to be built. All of these improvements that you control (i.e. are within your borders) are effectively one and the same tile. That means, that a ship standing at a Star Gate can move to ANY plot surrounding ANY owned Star Gate. This would be cool, but judging from what I know on Civ engine, not very likely to be implemented.
Another way to do this: give the Capitals a "Star Gate" ability so that they are able to paradrop anywhere, provided it is inside your borders. This would not interfere with the Subspace Teleporter much, as the former has limited range, but can be used anywhere.

Pulsar: a weapon promotion that adds interception chance (say, 10%) and aloows the ship to do little collateral damage.

Warp Interdictor: I for ine do not see a way to implement it MOO-style in Civ. So I propose another variant - make it a Great Wall analogue. So, it will be a national (rather than great) Wonder, would require "some" research to unlock, and would prevent the barbarians aka Aliens from entering your borders... However, if we poise the Barbarians as Antarans, this utterly sucks. Maybe it'd pay off to create two types of barbs - ordinary Aliens/Pirates that appear in fog of war and Antarans. Then (if I get the mechanics right) it'll be possible to interdict Pirate movement without messing with Antaran.

And I do not agree with adding additional ship "tiers". (see Hyper-advanced Physics). The main question is: what do you need such ships for? If you wish a counter to Doomstars, then why not use your own Doomstars - as they appear even earlier.

Maybe the Hyper-Advances should be made repeatable and add a relevant bonus per each research: say, Hyper-Power would add 1 point to ships' movement (yes, these techs MUST be costly!), Hyper-Sociology - one happy face and so on.

I like the pulsar idea, and the warp interdictor is an interesting idea, keeping barbarians out of your borders...

Those are my thoughts with the ship tiers, of them not fitting well, though I think sourboy has a good idea going.

And yes, the hyper-advanced techs are already in the mod. One adds worker production, one adds ship movement, one adds fighter movement, happiness, health, etc.

EDIT:
Here's my thoughts on ships requiring techs:
I think the tiers of ships should be unlocked with techs. Like the Battleship II needing Neutronium armor and shields V or something. Then the techs could simply be starting techs for those ships. I think this has some good potential, too bad I'm so short on time to implement things! :)

Also to Sourboy:
The civilopedia is pretty much automatically created by the game. Any prereq for starbases and such is listed in there. As far as I know there actually aren't any requirements for starbases and shipyards. Starbases just have to be built by workers and can't be built on systems. Shipyards are limited to one per star.

As far as I know there actually aren't any requirements for starbases and shipyards. Starbases just have to be built by workers and can't be built on systems. Shipyards are limited to one per star.

You currently need Engineering to be able to build a Starbase. (Plus a Construction Ship, ofcourse.) ;)

Top Bottom