Washington State set to legalize Gay Marriage

Status
Not open for further replies.
Too right. People commit suicide every day, knowing it may be dangerous.

Going by your logic Matthew Shepard deserved his death, because he knew that by "chosing" to be gay in america, he may be physically abused and even killed.

In rural America homosexuality is legal, and it is in parts of the Middle East. Just because doing something results in the death penalty doesn't mean people will not do it, argument invalid.

Not really invalid. Normally when people do an activity that gets them a potential death penalty it offers some advantage like large scale stealing or murdering a rival. What advantage does choosing to be homosexual offer a person? And since you can choose to be attracted to whoever you want why dont people just choose to be attracted to ugly people to make finding a mate easier? If homosexuality is a choice why do we see that behavior in animals who dont have high enough thinking skills to make true choices?

Oh wait that's right, you brought religious articles to prove your stance :lol:

And those martyred saints totally had it coming to them.

In rural America homosexuality is legal, and it is in parts of the Middle East. Just because doing something results in the death penalty doesn't mean people will not do it, argument invalid.

I'm pretty sure those were less serious points and more satire about your "interesting" position.

This is all beside the point. How does it benefit anyone to outlaw gay marriage? Are heteros so insecure in the institution, that having gays marry would ruin it for them?

I just frankly wish to hear the reason that LGBT wish for the right of marriage so badly. What makes it so much more special than a civil union?
Why should a secular concept be restricted by religious views?
Marriage has nothing to do with religion and predates Christianity if not Judaism. I would fully support removing "marriage" as a legal concept and having just one thing.

Why can't I have more than one wife, Polygamaphobia must be stopped!
I fully support marriage between any individuals giving informed consent. There are legal issues regarding the rights in a multiple marriage that could need some laws rewritten. This could take some time, but there is no such issue for homosexuals.
The typical argument against polygamy is a high incidence of abuse amongst polygamous groups. While an issue, this should not be dealt with by outlawing polygamy because the people doing these things clearly don't going to care about laws against polygamy.

There is just one swooping difference, Interracial couples can Produce Children, and besides that, race is not a big deal, were all related to Adam and Eve!
This would be an argument if marriage was ever about producing children. Or if there weren't plenty of options for a homosexual couple to have a child (IVF, surrogate, adoption).

It was never proven that anti-gay violence caused his death, and no that makes no sense at all.

"At trial, McKinney offered various rationales to justify his actions. He originally pleaded the gay panic defense, arguing that he and Henderson were driven to temporary insanity by alleged sexual advances by Shepard."

Sounds legit.

"At trial, McKinney offered various rationales to justify his actions. He originally pleaded the gay panic defense, arguing that he and Henderson were driven to temporary insanity by alleged sexual advances by Shepard."

Sounds legit.
The killer saying he killed him for those reasons isnt enough proof, more please.

I just frankly wish to hear the reason that LGBT wish for the right of marriage so badly. What makes it so much more special than a civil union?

Marriage is a romantic ideal and people deserve to enjoy themselves on a primal level, even if it's nonsensual. There's a lot of pain in the world. There's no need to hinder yourself from compensating that pain by allowing people to do what they want when it doesn't hurt you.

I find it amusing that CELTICEMPIRE's defense of his backward views essentially consists of "They can't reproduce... Uh, it's unnatural... Uh, homosexuality is a behaviour and it is impossible to discriminate against people who choose to be the way they are... Uh, help, I'm being persecuted here!"

Remember, kids. As Uncle PS said, Christianity is a behaviour too. Therefore, it's impossible to be discriminate against people who make the lifestyle choice of being Christian.

Remember, kids. As Uncle PS said, Christianity is a behaviour too. Therefore, it's impossible to be discriminate against people who make the lifestyle choice of being Christian.

Hm. Actually, I'm curious - is it not possible to discriminate against something that is deliberately a choice? I'm feeling you're typing this to point out the fallacy of something - in actuality, I'm pretty sure - since honestly, I do feel there's a lot wrong with that line of thought. :p

Agreed, I hate how polygamy is tossed around as an argument, because hey if we can tie this to an even more unpopular group more power to them, cant wait for him to bring up bestiality.

And yes, for the record if a group of people want to enter into a polygamist marriage I believe they should have that right. Obvious everyone only gets marriage benefits one time and not stacking, but I see no reason why willing adults should be denied that ability.

Also, there is the fact that there are several practical problems with polygamy. Polygamy actually would be a rather significant 'redefinition of marriage'; gay marriage is just a very, very small change to the traditional norm.

And if it a choice, why in the world would anyone choose to be part of a regularly discriminated group when they can just as easily choose to like all american girls? Argument carries no merit.

Also this.

Because being gay is "cool" and "edgy". It's also great for teenage rebellion.

Hipster kids totally down for butt-sex, but only ironically.

next time I look at washington state they'll have turned in canada. And the rest of the US will ask, "whoa, when did that happen?" yet almost nothing will change.

Canada is too mainstream. We only wish we were Canadian ironically.

On a more serious note, this is completely awesome. We're now getting to work on spreading our radical gay agenda to wherever Celticempire lives. How? We'll build Gay Monasteries so we can build Gay Missionaries and have them spread Teh Gay, and eventually build the Gay Religious Wonder with the Prophet of Gayness.

Congrats to Canada for entering the 21st century. I have a feeling my state of FL will be waiting a while.

"God and science" :lol: Thanks Celtie. If you're going to go down, go down burnin'!

Aelf makes a good point. Keep this up Celt and you'll make the argument it's fine to treat religious people different by law (as according to "God and Science")

Anyway, good on Washington. Welcome to the civilized world.

“to reconcile my religious beliefs with my beliefs as an American, as a legislator, and as a wife and mother who cannot deny to others the joys and benefits I enjoy. This is the right vote and it is the vote I will cast when this measure comes to the floor.”

Can't argue with that, as clearly on display in this wonderful thread :)

Washington has a public referendum process in its state law. Regardless of what congress does on this issue, rest assured it will be put up for a public vote via the referendum process. This is in no way the final word on the matter. As several congress members are going against their constituents desires on this measure, it will probably be a quite interesting election period next election as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom