LS Civilization Set

Because other than the UI's, every single Unique Unit and Building in the game is a replacement for something else. If killing off your own workers seem wrong to create the UI, then perhaps don't expend the worker and only allow the amount of times the UI can be built to be limited to the amount of enemies you've killed.

Having a standalone unit doesn't really make sense and it would kinda break precedent.

Loving the UA though, kind of a blessing and curse at the same time. You don't have to improve heaps of tiles to keep yourself from being happy, but your empire doesn't grow as fast. It's an interesting tradeoff.

Because other than the UI's, every single Unique Unit and Building in the game is a replacement for something else. If killing off your own workers seem wrong to create the UI, then perhaps don't expend the worker and only allow the amount of times the UI can be built to be limited to the amount of enemies you've killed.

Having a standalone unit doesn't really make sense and it would kinda break precedent.

Loving the UA though, kind of a blessing and curse at the same time. You don't have to improve heaps of tiles to keep yourself from being happy, but your empire doesn't grow as fast. It's an interesting tradeoff.
I have already broken this rule with Tatars. Reason were pretty valid (suicidal medieval unit, it would waste upgraded units experience).

UI would remove other Improvements.
AI wouldn't build UI. I bet UU with proper City Defense flavour should do a trick.
It's hard to add duration to UI.
It needs freaking amount of code to make UI having "Fear" effect. :D

Though, you might be right. I will probably go with building replacement (colloseum with the effect of UA?). Then UU with some kind of Fear system.

Perhaps some kind of spearman? The Numidian mercenary in civ 3 was a spearman replacement with more attack strength, I think.
This spearman was the reason I started thinking about Numidians. :) However, I didn't find anything about it on the internet.

I have quite serious question. Does AI give units to CS? If yes, is there a leader flavour responsible for it?

I have already broken this rule with Tatars. Reason were pretty valid (suicidal medieval unit, it would waste upgraded units experience).

UI would remove other Improvements.
AI wouldn't build UI. I bet UU with proper City Defense flavour should do a trick.
It's hard to add duration to UI.
It needs freaking amount of code to make UI having "Fear" effect. :D

Though, you might be right. I will probably go with building replacement (colloseum with the effect of UA?). Then UU with some kind of Fear system.

This spearman was the reason I started thinking about Numidians. :) However, I didn't find anything about it on the internet.

I have quite serious question. Does AI give units to CS? If yes, is there a leader flavour responsible for it?

A similar unit apparently exists in Rome Total War II as well (I need to get that game, haha)

http://www.honga.net/totalwar/rome2/unit.php?l=en&v=rome2&f=rom_gaetuli&u=Num_Spear

Some of the info here may be useful.
By the way, the other leaderscreen you posted: Songstan Gampo of Tibet?

Yes, it is Tibet. I don't like background (face, too colourful) and I should find other head.

I could name them 'African Legion', however it turned out that unit gifting' isn't so easy to detect (might be able to do it if only one Numidian player in game), anyway I bet that AI wouldn't take use of it. I am currently thinking about some combination of DoF, CS alliance, CS first-meeting and XP.
Civ will be early-warmonger (yeah, it will be crap :<, because this game encourage people to do nothing, before tall).
Early charriot with possibility to move after attack should easily meld enemy cities, while African Legion (or better name) will be SO imba. One hit to take Pikeman down. ;) All in all, it was the most powerful ancient UU of civ 3 iirc.

What is more, I shall upload ready set VI today. I am finally happy with each of 3 civs.

Set VII including Cherokee, Hittites and Numidians is out.

<<link>>

Currently in progress:
1. Music table
Civilization|War|Peace
Haida|Shoshone/Iroquis|Shoshone/Iroquis
Cherokee|Shoshone/Iroquis|Shoshone/Iroquis
Sioux|Shoshone/Iroquis|Shoshone/Iroquis
Hetmanate|Russia|Russia
Khmer|Siam|Siam
Kingdom of Jerusalem|?|?
Papal States|?|?
Phoenicia|Persia|Persia
Timurids|?|?
Mali|Songhai/Morocco|Songhai/Morocco
Durrani|?|?
Nepal|India|India
Ashanti|?|?
Scotland|England|England
Olmec|Aztec|Aztec
Zimbabwe|?|?
Bulgaria|?|?
Lithuania|?|?
Tatars|Mongol|Mongol
Hittites|Persia|Persia
Numidia|?|?
<need help>

2. Art list
  • Papal states icon
  • Church icon
  • Newspaper icon
  • Mausoleum icon
  • Some leaderscreens?

3. Abilities
I would like to know which civs you consider least interesting and/or imbalanced (too weak/powerful), with short comment if possible. Over last months I hadn't too much time to play...

Upload it here or at Dropbox, please. I can not use Steam workshop - it doesn't work in my game.

Hey, nice work! I've played with some of your civs and I enjoyed them a lot. One question, though: what is the Heavy Cavalry (Bulgarian UU) supposed to do? I read the description, and it seems like it should have 120HP, if I'm not mistaken, but it seems to have 100HP only in the game. That's the only issue I found, I thought you'd like some feedback. Cheers!

Currently Heavy Cavalry has 17 combat and 100 combat (used to have 15 and 120 combat). I forget to update this thread. I am preparing "Christmas" update and consider to make this UU more special. :)

I will upload the newest versions on non-steam host. By the way, polder on mountains looks hilarious. :)

Thank you very much.

:) Christmas Update :)

Featured Changes:
  • All Leaders now have assigned War and Peace music.
  • Added 14 (out of 22 UU) custom unit models.
  • New 2D art (featured: Church Icon, Papal States Icon, Rice Terrace Icon, Newspaper Icon, Tatar Leaderscreen)
  • Haida UA, Eagle and Raven, now gives you Gold and Culture from attacking Cities in melee combat, while reducing Food stored, which can result in reducing enemy City population.
  • Haida UU, War Canoe, can now embark instantly and have combat strength increased while embarked and Amphibious promotion. It makes it more effective while attacking from Water.
  • Mali UU, Sofa, creates new Sofa after killing two non-barbarian units.
  • Phoenician UU, Hippoi, increases embarked units movement when starting turn on the same turn.
  • Nepal UA, Roof of the World, now provides only Production, Culture, Faith and Science from Mountains, but newly found cities claim nearby neutral Mountains.
  • Nepal UU, Rice Terrace, is available now at Agriculture. Provides +2 Food from Mountains, while Mountains adjacent to this City have one extra food and a fancy Polder graphics.
  • Olmec UB, Collosal Heads, is now Monument replacement; claims 3 neutral tiles and creates Antiquity site when first build.
  • Zimbabwe new UA, Trade Link, allows you to meet new Civilizations and City-States through "Trade Links" (if you send Trade-Route to player B, and player B send trade Route to player C and D, you meet player C and D, if not yet met). It also gives you bonus 30 gold for meeting other civilizations.
  • Tatar UU, Czambul, is no longer suicide unit. It is weaker Knight (18 combat), but has Ambush promotion (+100% attack, +2 movement, No City Attack Penalty), which is lost after first attack.
  • Bulgarian UU, Heavy Cavalry, has new ability "Crushing Victory", dealing additional damage if won combat (losing less HP than enemy) during attack.
  • Cherokee UU, Raven, has now quite funny ability, though I am afraid It will be never seen in game. Raven can settle city, when original capital is lost (he must be alive during capturing the city). I wanted it to represent the Trail of Tears.
  • Numidia new UB, Mercenary Camp, is Barracks replacement; it gives you 5% Production of Land Units and +2 City defense per International Trade Route in the empire. +5 XP for Land Units for every International Trade Route connecting to the civilization currently at war.
  • And more. Merry Chistmas and Happy New Year.

Hooray! These files are quite big, thanks for sending them at Sendspace.

I have finally created ToDoList, even minor issues will be fixed once reported. See OP.
Next update will be more about separating LUA code on two parts (one specific-civ related, will be included only if this civ is in game). I hope it will save precious seconds in later eras.

So, I got ultimately lucky with leader model, created map and diploscreen, but I have no idea what to do with UniqueSet. I think about the contest on the best Romania (Wallachia, Moldavia and Transylvania) representation. Remember that black legend of Vlad is mostly germanic nonsense.
The prize is fully workable civ of your idea and a bonus.

Possible UB: fortified church
There are about 150 of these in Transylvania, built in areas particularly susceptible to ottoman attack. They combined the functions of a church and a military defensive structure.
I think that making this building tie defense points and faith generation together would be interesting. So either +1 faith for every certain number of defense points in the city, or + whatever number of defense points for every faith point generated in the city. I have no idea if this is possible in the code.
Either way, I think that historically speaking, if you want to represent medieval Romania, a faith/defense based civ is probably most accurate.

Possible UB: fortified church
There are about 150 of these in Transylvania, built in areas particularly susceptible to ottoman attack. They combined the functions of a church and a military defensive structure.
I think that making this building tie defense points and faith generation together would be interesting. So either +1 faith for every certain number of defense points in the city, or + whatever number of defense points for every faith point generated in the city. I have no idea if this is possible in the code.
Either way, I think that historically speaking, if you want to represent medieval Romania, a faith/defense based civ is probably most accurate.
Looking for Romanian architecture, I have found only churches, monasteries and castles. It is probably valid material for UB, but I decided it is not unique enough.
Currently, I am betatesting:

UA: Three Principalities: Increases influence in first two met City-States by 1 per turn.

UU: Szeleky, unique Knight replacement, 1 range, 20 ranged strength, 17 combat. It breaks enemy fortification on attack and has 80% withdrawal chance before melee.

UU2: Hajdúk, unique Musketman replacement, ignores terrain cost and has double heal from pillage and heal rate on pillaged improvements.

I would say it is good enough. UA represents Wallachia, Moldavia and Transylvania; Szeleky cavalry was used to mess up with enemy formation and lure them in the traps; Hajdúk was not stricto Romanian unit, but I like their guerilla combat style in game. To be honest, everything works correctly, but I have to write DoM and diplo responses.

<------->
BETA set VIII, Sendspace
Spoiler :
Romania can be seen above; replaces Bucharest with La Paz.

Tibet; replaces Lhasa with something on S, couldn't recall.
UA; land units have 15% combat bonus against wounded units. +1 Faith and +1 Golden Age Point per killed enemy.
UU; heavy knight; +33% versus Archers.
UB; Ghanta (shrine); +1 culture, slow down enemies crossing empire borders in city territory (complicated, but let's call it very weak Great Wall).

Vikings.
UA; in medieval era, sieged cities have heal and range attack disabled.
UU; berserker (swordsman); amphibious promotion; fights until one of units is dead.
UU; longboat (galleas); melee, increase movement of nearby embarked units; available at metal casting.

I rather like these civ packs, they're very unique and well done, with some interesting ideas. Some suggestions!

- The Phoenicians strike me as a bit overpowered. Acquiring all luxuries isn't /that/ difficult, and you end up with absolutely ludicrous happiness. I'd suggest making it -50% or so city unhappiness.

- The first part of the Hittite UA is actually a hidden bit to Greece's - as Alexander you're free to move your units through city-states, even though it's not indicated anywhere. I'd suggest adjusting it for something more interesting, like...hmmm, maybe that Militaristic CSs will give you unique units even if only at Friend level?

- Some of the civ descriptions are a bit vague: the Timurids especially. I don't get how sabotaging cities works at all from that UA, or turning half of the civilization into barbarians. Maybe give a more mathematical and precise description, like "During war, attacks on Cities will occasionally ignore defensive building bonuses. Upon capturing a capital, half of that empire's population is converted into Barbarian units."

- Actually, flavor text in general could use work, and I imagine there'd be plenty of people around who'd be happy to provide Civilopedia entries. The grammar in the game opening screen is a bit off, and I sorta wish to offer to help improve it.

- Use music sets! There are generic music sets for each civilization style, which play throughout the game during peace and war. I don't know how the coding goes, but they're in there somewhere, and IIRC all match up to what architecture style that civ is using.

Top Bottom