Diplomacy - Stop Digging!

Mesix

The Allfather
Alexander doesn't like me to send archaeologists into his territory.

Looking at the options, neither seems to be very friendly:
Spoiler :

It's essentially the same as spying I believe. I chose "We meant no offence when attempting to steal your cultural heritage" thinking it was like how you get to choose between "Very well" and "You'll pay for this in time" without any negative drawback. It turns out as I kept digging that apparently the first option is a promise and I broke said promise and it made many people quite mad. The whole world denounced me and embargoed me at the World Congress after many years of all of them DoF'ing me before I started digging. So walk softly when excavating, and if you are planning to continue, for the love of god don't choose the first option.

I guess Alex got mad at Elizabeth because of the Parthenon Frieze.

At present, the majority of the frieze is at the British Museum in London

But of course they meant no offense when they stole their cultural heritage.

Can you make the same demand of the AI or is this another annoying variant on the 'Stop hiding in the shadows like a poof' demand that you aren't able to make in return?

That sounds like a sarcastic insult.
"Hey I just stole your car but I did in good faith man! I meant absolutely no offense when I jacked it!"

I think this WAS their intention, to make the statement FUN and Cynical... Like if you didn't know you were ACTUALLY stealing their cultural heritage...

I laughed when I saw that your "polite" response is to just baldly admit to stealing artifacts. The one time I had this pop up (with Portugal), I told them I'd dig wherever I want and proceeded to steal even more of their cultural heritage. They never denounced me or declared war, and the negative modifier eventually went away. Ironically, that first artifact I unearthed from Portuguese territory was a Polish artifact that they had settled next to thousands of years later. This made the "polite" reply seem even more sarcastic.

Yeah, the writing needs some tweaking.

Also, it doesn't matter what option you choose. I wish there was some value in your dialogue choices. So far the only one I know that has any impact is the one where an AI approaches you and says "I bullied your CS. Whatcha gonna do about it?" and you can choose to back down (losing 20 influence with that CS) or standing up to the AI (but I'm unsure how much that adds in diplomatic value).

I really wish more ancient and modern artists were in the game. Phidias should be added in, as the Parthenon frieze was likely made under his direction and he was a sculptor, painter, artist.

The painting the Parthenon comes with is nice, but it wasn't made in the Ancient/Classical era (which is when you unlock and most likely build the Parthenon)

Luckily, if you say that you mean no offense, their is no negative diplomatic modifier, unlike with spies, where you get a bad modifier just for being caught. It's a good idea to steal one artifact from every civ and promise to not do it again.

Top Bottom