Tentative New Strategies

Icaria909

Emperor
I've played a few games of BNW so far and wow has the game changed. I am greatly enjoying the way the new dynamics have revolutionized the way I play many civs, especially the few pre-existing civs that were changed in BNW (like France and Arabia). I know it is really early to ask for this question, but considering that all the new mechanics have radically changed the way you can play some civs, I was curious what new strategies people have found to be most effective with the civs they're playing as.

Here was my first game:

New France: I played a standard continent game as France on King (usually play Emperor or Immortal but moved down to test new mechanics). I feel like the new France plays best when playing wide and conquering in the mid game so they can take advantage of their tourism and ideology in the late game. The few things that I found really beneficial were to start with a liberty opener and grab as many luxury resources as possible, focusing on building Chateauxs everywhere. Then when I hit gunpowder, I took advantage of my musketeers to conquer several civs before they needed to be upgraded. With a large empire, many trading posts and chateauxs, I had more than enough museums and archaeological sites to take advantage of my UA and pursue a culture victory. By the end I received like 700 culture a turn and I filled out the liberty, Aesthetics, exploration, and rationalism trees and almost filled out my autocracy ideology. Was incredibly fun to watch a few civs change their ideologies when it became clear I was dominating the tourism game.

So what new strategies have you guys tried in BNW?

One strategy-kind-of-thingy I found: Arabia is really good when going tall, instead of the ICS-tactics it was famed for. I came up with the following: in the early game, build few cities and develop them. Starting at medieval, settle colonies on other continents and supply them with trade routes using your extended range. This way you can spread out your empire (exploration tree is nice!) in the later game, and spread your religion along those routes into the other landmasses.

Oh, and by the way: Chateau in plural is Chateaux, not Chateauxs :)

I tried France too but I chose Tradition instead.
I conquered as soon as I could get an army with composite bows catapults and swordmen. I took advantage of the fact that Assyria started a war against Brazil and I took them out without getting hated for that.

After filling up tradition I switched to Aesthetics and then Freedom when it was available. Later I filled up Aesthetics, Rationalism and Commerce.

I filled up my museums by excavating 12 artifacts around the world while I converted my ruins into landmarks.

I chose tradition because having a good capital is pivotal in any game as far as my experience tells me. The food boost and the Hanging Garden are awesome.
As for expansion I always found that if you need more land it's better to take it from some other civ rather than from the wild.

My first game, as Shoshone, I went with a liberty/piety start (got a great pantheon thanks to a early religion boost from an ancient ruin). I ended up not being as expansionist as I originally planned--was kind of boxed in--but ended up with a fairly easy cultural win (would have been a diplomacy or science win too, I'm pretty sure).

Second game, as Morocco, I did the traditional "tradition" start and, due to nice placement that left me within easy reach of 8 city-states, grabbed the patronage tree next. Late renaissance and I'm anticipating an easy diplomatic win, with science win also possible (although not a sure thing).

Between those two, I tried several times to start a game as Indonesia on archipelago maps, but ended up abandoning them as a bit boring.

Top Bottom