Light In The East: Civs Of The Orient(And Beyond)

I like Bangladesh. I was thinking of focusing more on the Bengal Sultanate period though, with a focus on trade. I don't have much of an interest in modern Bangladesh at the moment, but I want them to be a blob civ if that would work. I also have too much work so I don't know I would be willing to pick it up in this month.

Scapegrace, I'd say if you change that faith yield to 1 for every two tiles, you've got a bang-on engaging UA idea. At the Max - if every tile in a city range is a river tile and being worked, then it would be 37% growth, and (rounding down) 18 faith for one city. That's highly highly unlikely, but theoretically possible. A much more likely scenario is somewhere around 10% growth and 5 faith, which seems quite nice but not too strong.

Is there some way to represent the Muslim history - this sultanate period - though? If the hat's bonus is tied to the idea of Bangaladesh's international prescience, then perhaps the marine replacement could be turned to a UU representing this sultanate period? I don't know much about the history of the region, so I don't know the feasibility.

Double edit: if needing the faith-on-rivers to 1 per two (which I highly recommend doing, as so much faith early game for river tiles could be very very strong), then perhaps the hat's bonus could be changed to +2 gold and +2 faith for roads to city states? Or perhaps even 3 - it'd need testing. The key thing is that, yeah, roads to city states are kind of the worst. I really like the idea though. Especially since it would allow you to create a large and effective transportation network across the land, between city states.

If a UU could both reflect the sultanate period and have the city-state influencing element of the blue-cap, that might be ideal.

I like Bangladesh. I was thinking of focusing more on the Bengal Sultanate period though, with a focus on trade. I don't have much of an interest in modern Bangladesh at the moment, but I want them to be a blob civ if that would work. I also have too much work so I don't know I would be willing to pick it up in this month.

I was thinking about a more blooby Bengali civ too, here's what I came up with. Keep in mind I don't really think this is better than scapegraces, just thought it'd be worth exploring multiple directions for the civ. (Modern Bangladesh vs Sultanate of Bengal vs whatever else)

Bengal - Shamsuddin Ilyas Shah
UA: Paradise of the Nations
:trade: International trade routes from Bengali cities yield extra :c5gold: gold for every religion present in the :c5capital: capital. Receive points towards the next golden age when a foreign :trade: trade route connects to a Bengali city.
UU: Hat
Replaces Market, but forgoes the trade route bonuses for +1 :c5gold: gold on :trade: international trade routes, for receiver and sender, for each different luxury or unimproved marsh tile worked by this city. Bonuses doubled if the city is on a river.
UU: Thoni
Replaces Galleas, -3 :c5rangedstrength: ranged strength and :c5strength: -4 defensive strength, but may enter marsh tiles. When stationed on a resource tile, increases its :c5gold: gold yield.

The name 'Paradise of Nations' refers to the remarks of the Mughal Empire regarding the Sultanate back in the 16th century, as he was so impressed by its wealth and trade, hence the influence on trade. The religion bonus comes from the fact that Bengal was a heartland of many religions. It was traditionally ruled by Muslim rulers, with a mixed Hindu/Muslim populace, while it frequently extended its influence into the nearby Buddhist regions, being the closest place in India to Buddhist SEA. (Also, major centres of Jain teachings were in Bengal, afaik, so that's like literally every Indian religion save Sikhism (Speaking of which, this is making me want to do a Punjabi civ.)

The Hat focuses on resource diversity and marsh tiles, as Bengal is a pretty resource rich region and this was historically capitalised on by the Bengali rulers to make a hell of a lot of money? How? By using the existing river connections and the huge bengal delta, hence the additional focus on marshes and rivers. Finally the Thoni is a traditional Bengali fishing boat which would be fitted to be able to deal with the tight squeezes and frequent water level changes of the Bengal delta, hence the ability to enter marsh tiles.

Hm. I agree with your suggestions. Righto, here's some adjusted versions.

UA: Land Of Rivers
Cities on a River gain a +25% bonus to incoming and outgoing Trade Route output (whether :c5gold: Gold, :c5food: Food, or :c5production: Production). +1% :c5food: Growth and +1 :c5faith: Faith per two River Tiles in workable range of your Cities.
UU: Toofangchi (replaces Musketman)
Slightly lower :c5strength: Combat Strength than the Musketman it replaces, but starts with Amphibious and Medic I. Additionally, has a unique promotion allowing it to generate Influence with the nearest Friendly or Allied City-State per kill.
UB: Hat (replaces Market)
+1 and +25% :c5gold: Gold. +1 :c5gold: Gold from incoming and outgoing Trade Routes. 1 Merchant Slot. +2 :c5gold: Gold, +1 :c5culture: Culture and +1 :c5faith: Faith per City-State connected to your Trade Network by a Road, rising to +3/+2/+2 after Combustion is discovered.
---
EDIT: Okay, so I did a bit more digging. When the Sultanate of Bengal was on its last legs, it turned to technological innovations, and one of them was massed gunpowder. With the help of the French and British East India Companies, these peasant soldiers were slowly kicked into something approaching a fighting force, and the individual soldiers were called toofangchi. These caused a massive shift in the perception of warfare among Mughal and similar commanders; before then, the purpose of infantry had been a combination of roadblock and cavalry target, whereas now they could kick arse and drink lassi, and they'd just finished their lassi.

Which is good, because then I don't have to drink the horrendous muck.

The Hat bonus increasing at Combustion just makes sense; if you're building highways to these nations then it's only logical they bring more stuff precariously balanced on a moped. Traffic increases, variety of goods increases, we all become consumers and capitalism is victorious! =]

Wow, you guys have some good ideas.

I like the UA Urdnot_Scott suggested, but it is a bit similar to another civ that is in progress ;). That civ also focuses on trade and you can say is from India/Southeast Asia.

I would take the city state connection ability for sure or something similar if I ever do start it. I wonder if a better UA name can be found. I also have this feeling it might be close to Siam's UA...

I think the Thoni is a bit small to be warship... And I can't make up my mind to take a naval or land UU...

great ideas guys! keep em coming.

Well, here are the uniques for my Sri Lanka civ that will be released in LITE, which is almost done but had to be changed a little bit a while ago.

Leader: Parakramabahu I

Capital: Colombo (Srinagar added as a replacement CS)

Music: Peace | War

UA: Dipavamsa: +1 Production from Freshwater Tiles. Finishing a religious building starts a 5 turn “We Love the King” Day.

UU: Balata: Replacement for Longswordsman. When on top of River tiles it heals faster.

UB: Vatadage: Replacement for Shrine. +5% increase in rate of border expansion for every religious building in the city.

UA haven't been solidified for most civs yet,

The Yuan Empire
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/oaKuQrC.png[/IMG]

Unique Ability: (Pax Mongolica) or (Sinicized Brutes): Gain a free Great Person of your choice upon conquering another Civilization's capital. (Insert Trade/science? related ability here, suggest away!)

Unique Unit: Fireship. replaces trireme, can bring down any naval or embarked unit that is wooden(Trireme - Frigate/Privateer). Becomes obsolete at Steam Power. Cheaper than the trireme. (Also it is so weak to being attacked it goes down in one turn against any attack)

Unique Unit: Mangonel. Also damages units adjacent to the targeted tile by a fraction of the damage inflicted on the targeted tile.

I would like to thank ldvhl and a couple others for most of these ideas :)

Some spoilers!

I love those maps and icons, really pretty, and Yuan looks pretty cool! You mentioned suggestions, not sure if its anything like what you're looking for but I planned out a Yuan a while back, incase you wanted to steal any element to add on to the current design.

Yuan
UA: Great Yuan - upon capturing a city, all adjacent units receive an instant boost to XP. XP gained in this way contributes to golden age progress.
UU: Semu - replaces knight, the Semu automatically does a small amount of damage to cities when moving into adjacent tiles. Receive XP from pillaging improvements.
UB: Yam - replaces stables. When a cavalry unit is stationed in the yam, all outgoing trade routes have +5% range per level of this unit. +1 culture on horses.

Here's my idea for the Yuan.

UA: Pax Mongolica
Gain a free Great Person of your choice whenever you take over a foreign :c5capital: Capital. Generate a flat amount of :c5science: Science whenever a Militaristic City-State gifts you a unit.

I came up with this Srivijaya icon ages ago - feel free to use it :)

I had a different idea for the Yuan...
UA: the great Yuan:
When a civilization eliminated from the game, receive a free monument a free courthouse in all cities that this civilization founded and now belong to you. Science agreements cost 33% less. Receive 25% more science from trade routes.

Well, fair's fair, it's a lot more coherent than your usual ideas. I'm not certain it's entirely suitable for the Yuan, though. Maybe it'd work better for a Horde Civ, like the Oirats or something. Still, it's an interesting idea.

Enough mud at a wall, I suppose.

Srivijaya confirmed for fabulous.

Well, fair's fair, it's a lot more coherent than your usual ideas. I'm not certain it's entirely suitable for the Yuan, though. Maybe it'd work better for a Horde Civ, like the Oirats or something. Still, it's an interesting idea.

Enough mud at a wall, I suppose.

Srivijaya confirmed for fabulous.

:agree::agree::agree:
Oh, and a... its More like enough cement(gotcha?) =]

The Safavids have been updated to support Unique Cultural Influence and fix an issue with the war production bonus not working

Also, is anyone experiencing a problem when they adopt Liberty as the Safavids and the +1 culture per cities doesn't work?

The Safavids have been updated to support Unique Cultural Influence and fix an issue with the war production bonus not working

Also, is anyone experiencing a problem when they adopt Liberty as the Safavids and the +1 culture per cities doesn't work?

Have you thought about doing civs from the region of Malaysia and Indonesia(Malaca sultanate maybe) ?

I have an idea:
sultanate of Malacca

UA: Power of wealth

Civilizations with an emassby in your capital have 25% more chance to be afraid of you(bonus double during golden age)
New cities increase points required for a golden age by 50% less. +1 gold from all tiles with luxury resources during golden age.
[UU: pendekar
Replaces great admiral. In addition to GA's effects, he may start a golden age or be used for a show of power(claiming other civilization's sea tiles). May fight other naval units.

Top Bottom