Killing spies, or not...

technome

Fission Chips
I'm a little puzzled. I was under the impression that once a player's spy had been killed, it was gone for good. Was I wrong?

Here's a timeline that just happened. Playing on prince as England.

• Turn 165: 2 unmet Civs entered the renaissance. I get 2 spies, everyone else gets 1.
  • Turn 165: I place 1 spy in my capital and another in Berlin.
  • Turn 166: Germany entered the renaissance.
  • Turn 167: My counter-spy killed a German spy and was promoted.
  • Turn 179: My counter-spy killed another German spy and was promoted again.
  • Turn 179: I swopped my spies around, assigning the unpromoted one to my capital.
  • Turn 194: My counter-spy killed another German spy and was promoted.
  • Turn 208: My counter-spy killed yet another German spy and was promoted again.

I checked after each kill. Germany was still in the renaissance each time. Is this another example of the AI getting a helping hand or have I misunderstood the system?

Spies are replaced after a certain number of turns. The same is true for your own spies.

Yes, but note that the replacement spy starts as a recruit (no promotions), so it won't be as effective as a killed spy that had one or two promotions.

At least your spies are killing other ones. I'm playing a game right now (year 1898, not sure of turn number--standard speed).

I'm getting techs stolen left and right, and I've yet to kill one spy all game. And I've got constabulary and police station in my capital (as well as my original spy).

I'm getting techs stolen left and right, and I've yet to kill one spy all game. And I've got constabulary and police station in my capital (as well as my original spy).

Yes; the spying mechanics are completely non-balananced in favor of offense.

I'm hoping some future patch will fix it by doubling the effectiveness of defensive spies and/or having constabulary (& police station) also increase the kill rate in addition to only slowing down the stealing.

^^I hear 'ya.

What makes it really bad is that those AI spys get promoted when stealing a tech. Hawiatha has already stolen four techs from me. So he's got a level three spy in my capital. And so do the other AIs.

And I'm stuck with a level one trying to combat them all... :( And I'm serious--I have not stopped one single spy from stealing from me the entire game.

There´s also the situation when your level 3 spy not only doesn´t kill the enemy spy, but also doesn´t prevent him from stealing techs from you...
at least you can talk to the civ, saying you´ll overlook the situation and then they will ask for forgiveness and you can forgive them (or not)

Top Bottom