TerraForm -- a map editor for CIV dos

Hi all fans civ , Civilization I , was the firs game i pley'd on pc computer ; ) and i like to play it every few months , but only this time i was looking for some kind of map editor because i don't like to destroy 3 - 4 civilization at the beginning on my continent : ) thats why i would like to create an map that allows all the civilization to build a 4-5 cities before start to make war.

so before i can send an email to dack about the registration , can anyone tell me if there is an page with maps to civilization I ?

There are maps for CivNet somewhere around the web for sure.But only maps/scenarios I know for CivDOS are to be find on this forum.

i finish making a map in terraform Editor ; ] now a need an registration key to save it , can any one give me an email adres to dack ? i wait 5 days and post at lest 5 post but i cant see his email. thx for help

Is there any way you would consider removing the registration? I have to request a new key every time I clean my computer or get a new one. Just hoping. :)

Hello,

I'm new here, this is about my 3rd post, and I'll be looking for the Terraform key in about
4 days.

This said, reading some of the comments on this thread makes me realize that
this key thing is somewhat annoying. It wouldn't be a problem if the program
functioned for once and for good, but I see many users having to request new
keys, because they change systems or computers or what else. Why so much
control, mr. Dack?

I read your reasonings. But is this key necessary still? I saw the
userlist of about 60 users. Maybe you could double that number for the next
3 or 4 years if it's posted in the downloads section: gives you approximately 120 users.
Is it a great number? Probably not. Depends on how many hours are put in
the project, but since it is already pretty much finished, why not just release
it with no key and say "no more updates, done with it, thanks for
the poor participation guys, you all suck", (etc...).

You ask elsewhere, what ignorant would just come up here like they have just
learned of Civilization. Well, I heard about Civilization since a few years, and always
promissed myself I would play some day, but then I wanted to play the original
one because that's the one that started all the buzz. Someone also told me
that it could be played relatively quickly.

I read people here who cracked Terraform. That's funny but also tentative.
Because what if in 50 years someone wants to use Terraform (they will
ALWAYS be people who want to try the original Civilization, because as
a videogame it has historical value (won lots of prizes, etc...))?
If the project is left as is they won't have a choice but to crack it.

Why does this key become unusable after many installations?
How does it keep track of the user or his computer?

Eridu
I’ve read your fascinating post and would have responded privately but I see you have chosen not to receive private messages or E-mail. Of course if I were able to I would have sent you an ISO file with all my notes and source code but my inclination to do that has now subsided.

Quotes from Eridu in Green
Why so much control … I read your reasonings. [sic]
The reasons remain the same
See post 1 See post 4

Maybe you could double that number for the next 3 or 4 years if it's posted in the downloads section
For me it is the quality of the user not the quantity, by that I mean TerraForm users that are active in the forum. TerraForm exists for active members of the Civfantics forum. As you can see from comparing the several lists of user names for the various versions that few members are repeat users.

…why not just release it with no key and say "no more updates, done with it, thanks for the poor participation guys, you all suck", (etc...).
As an alternative why not just pull the plug on the whole thing with no explanation.

You ask elsewhere, what ignorant would just come up here like they have just learned of Civilization
I certainly don’t believe I used the word “ignorant” or labeled anyone on this forum as such. If you have found such a post please point it out and I will edit the offending entry.
my statement was:
To new members I can only suggest that perhaps you could make an entry in a thread “How I came to CIV DOS at such a late date”. It always amazes me that a person interested in CIV DOS had not found this forum years ago. With the tricks sometimes needed to get it run on a modern machine. Why anyone would delve into a dos game for the first time is beyond me.

I encourage all and sundry to use this forum to learn and enjoy CIV DOS.

…what if in 50 years someone wants…
The question is how many more versions of Windows will support 32bit programs. Posterity will somehow take care of its self.

I don’t think I’ll will revisit the key controversy again. The final reason is that it locks TerraForm to the civfanatics forums.

There is no PM on this board? I thought I switched off my personal email
because spammers love when they find emails on the web, but I never meant
to block off PM. ?

I think there will always be people interested in videogame history, and want to try the original Civilization, and thus a program like Dosbox will always be available to emulate DOS on whatever system comes up.

For posterity, it would be more interesting it this application wasn't so limited, but eventually
it would be cracked even if you abandoned it. It is probable that the application is better than
this forum (since its attendance is so low), but you want it to be the contrary, and assume that any user who find merit in your application should forcefully find merit in this forum. Why? Already people who take time to try an editor of the old Civilization are serious quality players. And people coming each 6 months here asking for a new key don't mean they participate in the forum.

Why should people keep on playing and discussing Civilization forever? They can play for a good
3 months and come back to it 3 years later. You seem to imply that a "quality" player only
plays Civilization all his or her life, or spend time on this forum all his or her life.

Quotes from Eridu in Green
There is no PM on this board? I thought I switched off my personal email because spammers love when they find emails on the web, but I never meant to block off PM. ?
The interesting thing about accepting E-main on this forum is that your actual address is not exposed. You can only receive e-mail from other registered members. Others can only see your address if you choose to send them an e-mail.

… it would be more interesting it this application wasn't so limited…
In the first post I state “All constructive criticism welcome.” I have with the suggestion of other users attempted within my ability to improve the interface and function of TerraForm. If you don’t like the functionality write your own, all it takes is dedication to the task.

It is probable that the application is better than this forum
Without Civfantics TerraForm would not exist. In a reading of this thread there are many incidents of other members testing and discovering anomalies in this program. Without the efforts of those individuals TerraForm would not function as well as it does. And yes there most likely are other anomalies yet undiscovered.

You seem to imply that a "quality" player only plays Civilization all his or her life, or spend time on this forum all his or her life.
I made no statement about Civilization players. I defined what I was hoping for in TerraForm users (perhaps quality was a poor choice of words). There are no restrictions on who receives a key but membership to the forum.

CIV DOS stands on its own merits and functions quite well without any ancillary programs, be they editors or cheats.

Dack, i need a key - something is not working here again and you didn't reply to my IM / PM / mail last time --
so i try now email your g_mail account (of 2008) next directly.

Dack, since the PM option is not working, I'm posting my request here:

Request For Registration Key 86

English
.::.40266,4752662037
oaOymsi3WMpOMUBVW/S0K5rLXuW07N6NWuqRnvQq3C4smYQhehq2VOKnDwPkNdPo
t6a1OhEScgN1sQj3/Abpol8WchO1CbgwqjrF8PW/SX9fORJcFlqfbL9pjlQ4z===
::::

... you didn't reply ...
I did then and you should have a new PM in your box now.
Set your [X]Receive Email from Other Members box and double check you E-mail address!
I thought you fell off the planet good to hear from you.

___________​
Dack, since the PM option is not working, I'm posting my request here:
New Member Restrictions (see forum rules)
Newly registered members may not use signatures, e-mail forum members, post visitor messages, use the private messaging system or join or create social groups, until they have been members for 5 days AND have at least 5 posts.

Because of these rules you will not be able to request a key until you meet the 5 days / 5 posts rule.

To anyone is having difficulty with civfanatics E-mail I would try the following simple test.

1) log on the civfantics, on find your name on a post you made, left mouse click on you user name, click send email to.
2) On the page that appears enter “Test message” in the Email Subject: box and enter “The text of your message” in the Message: box.
3) Click the Send Message button.
4) If your E-mail is setup correctly you will receive the following message through you E-mail service. The contents will be as follows:

This is a message from YourUserName at Civilization Fanatics' Forums ( http://forums.civfanatics.com/index.php ). The Civilization Fanatics' Forums owners cannot accept any responsibility for the contents of the email.

To email YourUserName, you can use this online form:
http://forums.civfanatics.com/sendmessage.php?do=mailmember&u=XXXXXX

OR, by email:
mailto:YourEmailAddress@XXX.com

This is the message:

The text of your message

5) If the above test fails I suggest you try a hotmail, yahoo, or gmail E-mail account they seem to work. Try the Site Feedback forum maybe they can resolve your problem.

This is an excellent tool which I have used previously to "fix" the British Isles in the original Civ1 Earth Map.

Hi
why I do not the access to send the e-mail to Dack ?
please help :(

ok, i find the 5 / 5 rule already, :) sorry

congratulations on the program

First of all, I've to congratulate to the programmer for this great job, because isn't only functional it is yet very intuitive to everyone, include if you not know English can use it without any problems (I'm proof).

I found very complete the editing of maps and also surprised me that the map is very similar to the version of MS-DOS, I've to reaffirm my congratulations again.

Also, wanted to ask if you could, please, make or include in the program a option for editing the names of civilizations, technologies etc etc. I'm currently translating the game editing it with a Hexadecimal editor and I'm very limited by this. And seeing the great program do you have made, I have no doubt that probably you could do it.

I translate the game into several languages, including Spanish.

Thanks in advance.

Regards.

Dack, I was getting to edit my options, and it says that private message is enabled. Why do you need email to send the key?

Is it possible to get 2 keys? (1 each for 2 computers)

Eridu

Is it possible somehow to (re)build a scenario with Terraform if /me just have the MAP file left of an old scenario ... ?
(It would spare me the time to redraw all the maps, may i use a "virgin first sve" of any type with the map
and start editing?)

just tried with the NO KEY version of TF 0.86 "english" /// (infact: 0.87 ?)

took a 474.05 a fresh created SVE with same settings 'Americans' 'Abe Lincoln' 'turn 001' and the old MAP file

it -detects?- a "city remains unprotected" bug (?)
and tries to repair this
and produce afterwards a
run-time error '9'
subscript out of range
( >>> crashes TF )

Is it possible somehow to (re)build a scenario with Terraform if /me just have the MAP file left of an old scenario ... ?

If the MAP file indicates a square has a city on it and the SVE file has no record of a city there, TerraForm gets lost.

If this error appears then TerraForm could assume that the MAP & SVE don’t match.
1) I could force a reset to 4000BCE.
2) Delete this one city data.

As this is not a normal occurrence and there maybe other pointers that will clash
perhaps (1) above is the best choice but maybe not.

If the MAP file indicates a square has a city on it and the SVE file has no record of a city there, TerraForm gets lost.

If this error appears then TerraForm could assume that the MAP & SVE don’t match.
2) Delete this one city data.

As this is not a normal occurrence and there maybe other pointers that will clash
perhaps (1) above is the best choice but maybe not.
Thank you Dack!

I did try
first
and it did already do the job (the 2004 excel script based drawn maps didn't include any scenario data worth to save anyway)

i did test the altered games / maps now for hours and looks all good,
so i can rework the old ideas from the excel days now.
With reset to 4000 BC things get even better, from that workpoint it's possible to change game difficulty and name of tribe (colour of own tribe) and 'my' name in the game,
that opens a lot of addtional possibilities to create different scenario names and so on. Great.

It looks like my old key for version 2 isn't working. So I have to write 5 posts to be able to request a new key.

Seven posts, three years after joining, and still unable to request the key??

Top Bottom