Puppet city not producing buildings

dopingman

Warlord
I've ran into a really old issue/bug with CiV today, my puppeted cities are not building buildings as they should (no, they are not revolting and yes, there are buildings buildable). As I don't want to wait for that SoB governer to get his finger out of his a*s, I'd like to know if there is a workaround to fix this problem. My first guess would be World Editor but I didn't used it with CiV yet and it doesn't appear to be able to open save game files.

Here are some threads that discribe the same problem:
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=431817
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=395262

No screenshots available right now as steam cloud refuses to load up, will add them later today.

it's a bug. if you can manipulate the puppet so it's working a production tile that'll sometimes kick start it, so build a trading post on a hill and nuke other trading posts

This does not work for me yet as I don't have guilds yet and won't get it soon (marathon speed, early warmongering Germany [I know this is chessy])

The following buildings are on puppets NEVER build list:
Court House
Barracks (& by extension all buildings that require a Barracks)

They should eventually build the rest, but top priority is to buildings producing gold and second highest to those with no building maintenance cost.

Puppets are locked to gold focus, so the primary means of tile manipulation involves trade posts. Second highest though is food; so if you see a hill tile next to a fresh water lake, you can build a farm there (and NOT build farms on grassland). [If the hill is on a river; the river gold itself will encourage the puppet to work it.]

The following buildings are on puppets NEVER build list:
Court House
Barracks (& by extension all buildings that require a Barracks)

They should eventually build the rest, but top priority is to buildings producing gold and second highest to those with no building maintenance cost.

Puppets are locked to gold focus, so the primary means of tile manipulation involves trade posts. Second highest though is food; so if you see a hill tile next to a fresh water lake, you can build a farm there (and NOT build farms on grassland). [If the hill is on a river; the river gold itself will encourage the puppet to work it.]

Erm, derp. They are building NOTHING at all. And they have buildings available which are not courthouse, barracks line or wonders, I'm well aware of that fact they can't build them... That's why I linked those two other threads, so you know I'm understanding that particular game mechanic. In my case it is a bug and I'm asking for a workaround.

Anyway, steam allowed me to upload my screenshots, take a look yourself:

Spoiler :

As you can see, the city could build PLENTY of buildings (monument, granary, shrine, walls, etc., etc.) and the city is NOT revolting.

I've seen this happen when the captured city was trying to build a settler at the moment you captured it. The settler is removed from the listed build order when you view the city screen, but for some reason it is unable to start a new building. I've seen this condition last for a long time before it finally 'lets go' and starts building something else, too. Of course you're much more likely to encounter this bug early on than later in the game.

If you're looking for a work around, I would just annex the city, especially since the example you gave was a capital and should be in a pretty sweet location to work the tiles.

Annexing is not an option. Happiness is already near -10 and I'm on the brink to kill the next civ before the other continents AI reach me. Also Courthouses take ages to build on epic and I have no cash due to large veteran army, making disbanding a no go. Thirdly, I can't take the culture increase for next SoPol as I started with Tradition, went Honour left side for warmongering and now need to finish Tradition ASAP so my core cities (and my empire as a whole) can grow with more food, more happiness and more gold. Fourthly, this is not the only city which bugs around and annexing two cities w/o courts is mere suicide with an :c5unhappy: empire.

I really don't want to restart as I've already sunk 4-6 hours into this game.

Tenochiltan's city spot is one that should be annexed whenever you can afford the court house. (It's very good)
It doesn't actually look like your missing much at the moment since it's locked to a 1 hammer per turn option that also won't grow until your happiness is no longer negative.

It's possible that your other conquered city might be better off razed; I haven't seen that city shot. If your planning on either founding another city or annexing one shortly after it finishes razing it won't slow you down that much.

Also note that since you started your conquest early that if you didn't self found 4 cities that cities you captured prior to getting the finisher count so you could very well end up with a free aqueduct in a puppet.

Save it a reload the game. After a reboot, if it is a bug, then that may correct it. I've never encountered this before, early or late game. It should start building the gold buildings. But if you're in unhappiness, then it should start building a happiness building.

I would reboot and see how it goes.

Well, after a third city stopped producing anything after a monument I decided to can this game. It would still be winnable and all, killed Arabia and only Japan to go, yadda yadda, but those cities doing nothing is so annyoing for me that I decided to stop playing and fire up the next match. This time with In Game Editor, then I can fix bugs at least... Time sunk: 8 hours, hooray!

Restarting PC/game does not fix the problem, there seems to be an underlaying issue with the puppets not producing anything.

Thank you all for the input so far, lets hope for a fix in BNW (though I doubt it as it seems that the bug is around since vanilla)

It's a bug. It is trying to build a work boat for connecting the two resources.Since it can't build units it doesn't do anything. Solution: bring workboats from somewhere else and improve the pearls and whales.

It's a bug. It is trying to build a work boat for connecting the two resources.Since it can't build units it doesn't do anything. Solution: bring workboats from somewhere else and improve the pearls and whales.

It has nothing to do with the workboat or trying to improve sea resources. Puppets can't build units and don't care about improved resources apart from gold tile yield. Also this can happen with a land locked city aswell and there the AI can't build a boat (the 2nd city doing nothing at all was landlocked)

Yeah, your game is definitely messed up alright. All the words are screwy. It's like it's not even in English.

;)

Top Bottom