Generation of Great Artists, Writers, and Musicians

bdporter

Emperor
As far as I know, we are yet to find out how Great Artists, Writers, and Musicians are actually generated. Any ideas as to how these will be generated? My guess is that once you get to the culture threshold for the old Great Artist, you can pick which one you want.

Yeah, that's what I'm guessing. It'd be pretty damn annoying if it was random and you generate a Great Person you can't actually use because you don't have the room or the building for it.

Isn't it going to be possible to trade Great Works, though? Should be okay if it's random in that case.

Isn't it going to be possible to trade Great Works, though? Should be okay if it's random in that case.

True, but it would still seem a little weird if you have a Great Writer just sitting around because you can't fill any slots.

Do we know exactly how the trading of Great Works will happen yet?

Picking up what Talent to appear seem to be not an option for countries of this world. :)

True, but it would still seem a little weird if you have a Great Writer just sitting around because you can't fill any slots.

However, with all three of them having three different additional abilities, I would not be happy if their appearance will be pure random.

Haven't we been told that they all three have a secondary ability? So if you got one you didn't have a space for the work of, use the second ability. Or send it to sleep until later.

Haven't we been told that they all three have a secondary ability? So if you got one you didn't have a space for the work of, use the second ability. Or send it to sleep until later.

Using the secondary ability is definitely a possibility, but it wouldn't be the best option assuming you're trying to save up Great Works for Theming Bonuses.

My guess is that once you get to the culture threshold for the old Great Artist, you can pick which one you want.
While they might have a joint pool for all three types of artists (I don't believe so myself, but we don't know) I think it's sound to guess that they have been decoupled from the other Great Persons - i.e. popping a great artist won't increase your cost of the other GP, similar to how it works for GGs, GAds and GPs. This has been indicated from screenshots showing not GA counter(s) in towns, and also one would think that if a reasonable amount of GAs a going to spawn during a normal game (and one doesn't get the impression that great works are super rare from what we've seen in the demos, skewed as that might be), this would simply make it impossible to get normal GPs.

While they might have a joint pool for all three types of artists (I don't believe so myself, but we don't know) I think it's sound to guess that they have been decoupled from the other Great Persons - i.e. popping a great artist won't increase your cost of the other GP, similar to how it works for GGs, GAds and GPs. This has been indicated from screenshots showing not GA counter(s) in towns, and also one would think that if a reasonable amount of GAs a going to spawn during a normal game (and one doesn't get the impression that great works are super rare from what we've seen in the demos, skewed as that might be), this would simply make it impossible to get normal GPs.

Agreed, they should have their own pool to themselves, but not a separate pool for each. That would make it too easy to get them in my opinion.

I wouldn't like to seem them completely decoupled from the normal Great Person generation as it would really weaken the Garden building as well as Austria's UB.

Already Generals, Admirals, and Prophets are separate from that mechanic. To also remove Artists, that leaves only Engineers, Scientists, and Merchants (which would now be less than half the Great Person types, so it can hardly be called + Great Person generation).

Actually, if you think in terms of Wonders. If a wonder still gives great person points to a type of Great Artist, those points work through the normal Great Person generation mechanic. If they remove the Artists from that pool, they would have to change how Great Person points function or have all the Wonders that currently give Great Artist points give to either an Engineer, Scientist, or Merchant.

I wouldn't like to seem them completely decoupled from the normal Great Person generation as it would really weaken the Garden building as well as Austria's UB.

Already Generals, Admirals, and Prophets are separate from that mechanic. To also remove Artists, that leaves only Engineers, Scientists, and Merchants (which would now be less than half the Great Person types, so it can hardly be called + Great Person generation).

Actually, if you think in terms of Wonders. If a wonder still gives great person points to a type of Great Artist, those points work through the normal Great Person generation mechanic. If they remove the Artists from that pool, they would have to change how Great Person points function or have all the Wonders that currently give Great Artist points give to either an Engineer, Scientist, or Merchant.

What was meant is that getting a Great Artist won't increase the GP point cost for a Great Engineer, because as more and more GP's are introduced, you will be getting more of each type. It seems like lots of Great Artists, Writers, and Musicians will be earned in a single game, so it makes sense that because you get a lot of these, the cost for GE's, GS's, and GM's shouldn't go up.

Since G+K is being included in the expansion, do we know if we can buy great artists of all kinds with faith? It seems sort of logical, and I was just wondering if it was confirmed that you can, and if each type of artist would have separate policy trees that you'd have to adopt to purchase them.

Since G+K is being included in the expansion, do we know if we can buy great artists of all kinds with faith? It seems sort of logical, and I was just wondering if it was confirmed that you can, and if each type of artist would have separate policy trees that you'd have to adopt to purchase them.

We don't know for sure yet, but it does seem logical. Maybe one would come from Freedom, one from Aesthetics, and I'm not sure where the third would come from.

I wouldn't like to seem them completely decoupled from the normal Great Person generation as it would really weaken the Garden building as well as Austria's UB...

... about the Austrian UB (coffee shop), good point.
Perhaps they will be tweaking the coffee shop a little so that it specifically boosts great artist generation (think of Austria's famous musicians) and provides extra slots for great works... just a thought.

We don't know for sure yet, but it does seem logical. Maybe one would come from Freedom, one from Aesthetics, and I'm not sure where the third would come from.

If there would be specific policies for specific great artists, I would be more inclined to think that these SOPOLS would all be found with the aesthetics tree.
My guess is that the aesthetics tree is all about great artists and great works.
But perhaps I'm wrong, what else could fit in this tree?

I think you're guys are correct saying that they'll be separated from other GPs... Just imagine a scenario where you have 10 cities... Everyone of them with an Opera House and a Museum...

That's already 20 Great Musicians and 10 Great Artists... I don't think I ever generated that many GPs in a game...

About the faith... There's an interview where Dennis says that faith will be one of the best ways to purchase them in the late game. If I remember which one it is, I link it here. ;)

Found it:
Interview with Dennis Shirk

Dennis Shirk: It’s definitely going to be more of a challenge in Brave New World, you definitely want a religion in Brave New World. If you were playing the Culture game, one of the key ways you’re going to be getting great artists, great musicians etc… is through Faith.

Top Bottom