Share Your First BNW Experiences Here

Just now coming up for air. It's 11:24 est. I started at 1:30 a.m. est. Slept through alarm, oh well. Chose Poland, standard,continents on prince. settled three cities and assyria was forward setttling right up to my borders. Got mt. sinai in borders, so went with the pantheon four faith bonus on natural wonders, also got rock of gibraltar, so busting out faith like mad, so my who le continent is catholic and I'm the mfing Pope! Was getting a LOT of culture right away so went with it, started producing great artists/writers/musicians like crazy. beelined to caravels and met everyone and hosted world congress. by that time brazil and I combined in a war to push assyria back a few notches, puppeted a few of its cities. first world congress I had catholicism deemed the world relilgion, much to the other continent's chagrin. they also brought in worlds fair, won that. then I propoased arts funding, everyone was happy with that, it passed easily. Now I have forbidden palace, with world religion and host so I get 6 delegates out of a total of 19 for the next WC. Just need four delegates to do whatever I want and my best friend, brazil, has three...On turn 286 I'm cranking out 400 culture per turn (result of worlds fair prize), 46 tourism per turn, 83 gold, and 381 beakers. I can win any way I choose. Definitely playing King next time, but this is FUN. the intrigue around the WC is very cool, I look at the countdown number every turn thinking "is it here yet? is it here yet?" Well, gotta go to work for a few hours, then I'll probably crash.

1 - I found there to be more gold. In fact, the trade routes gave me more gold quicker than I would have gotten it prior to G&K.

2 - Not my experience at all so far.

3 - Again, not at all my experience so far. In fact, they seem to be playing more aggressive in my games.

Keep in mind that i didn't pass the turn 60 so far(only 1 caravan available). How much gold at best can you get from your first caravan before the turn 50?

Interestingly enough, I had 4 positive diplo modifiers with him when he declared war on me... only one negative one and that was "covets land you currently own."
That's a pretty strong one if you're keeping him from expanding, sadly.

I have determined that Venice is my new favorite neighbor; they don't care about expanding.

Keep in mind that i didn't pass the turn 60 so far(only 1 caravan available). How much gold at best can you get from your first caravan before the turn 50?

Yes, I remembered you didn't play past turn 60 shortly after I posted. My bad. :)

To answer your question though, the best I've been able to do so far is +7 gold... with the caravansary building, +9. And that's just the trade route, that doesn't count any tiles or buildings. By turn 50 in my last game, I was running a total of +17 gold by turn 50, minus any trade deals.

That's a pretty strong one if you're keeping him from expanding, sadly.

I have determined that Venice is my new favorite neighbor; they don't care about expanding.

Yeah... and I was definitely keeping him from expanding. I wasn't actively trying to keep him from expanding, however. It was just an unfortunate reality of the map I was playing on. Venice is nice. I had Brazil as my neighbor the first game I played. That was really, really pleasant. Pedro II was a great ally.

Just finished my first game with a cultural win as Morocco on Prince.

I was playing against Assyria, Indonesia, Brazil, Zulu, Portugal, Shoshone & Poland.

Poland:

Very weak religious zealot. Founded 3 cities then sat there and spammed missionaries and tried to get Catholicism through as the world religion over and over and over. Pissed off the whole world and fell behind in tech.

Indonesia:

Founded 3 cities and made no attempt to go to the other continent. Kept up in tech and was doing well in trade. Eventually pissed off everyone by going Autocracy when me and my buddies were Freedom. Just sat there and made no aggressive moves the whole game.

Brazil:

Founded 3 cities and sat in his own corner building culture and trade. Was very friendly with everyone and actually leading in tourism and culture at some point, but fell behind massively once I hit industrial age. Made a few more cities and picked Order, had civil unrest by the end of the game due to my influence. Went to war against Poland and Indonesia together with me. We carved up the continent and shared it.

Portugal:

Weak and bumbling fool. Squeezed into a corner by the Shoshone and fell behind in every way. Was dominated by my culture in the industrial age.

Shoshone:

Surprisingly strong. Furthest ahead on the other continent and Freedom buddies with me. Kept going to war against Zulu, but never got anywhere. Pretty docile otherwise and never tried to get a religion.

Zulu:

Just sat in the middle of the other continent warring with Shoshone and being behind in everything. Pretty boring, was expecting them to be really aggressive.

Assyria:

About the same size as Shoshone, was behind in tech, but caught up by the end. Freedom buddies and took my religion. Just sat there for the most part, not as aggressive as I expected.

This all is probably because I was playing on Prince, but overall the AI was very docile, weak and content with a few cities. Brazil was surprisingly strong so I suspect he will kick even more ass on higher difficulties.

I was swimming in culture, religion and faith. Generating 200-300 gpt, 200 fpt and 1k+ cpt. It's insane how much culture you can put out now. I also was allied with every single city state and unchallenged, owned the World Congress since its foundation and won every vote.

It's really fun, gonna try King next as Shoshone and hope the AI is more active.

Just started playing and I'm wondering why none of my trade routes are sending out religious pressure. Is there some prerequisite technology or belief I'm missing?

Trade Routes only generate pressure if the destination town is outside the normal range of your religion.

From what i've seen in some streams today the AI seems really passive and slow in tech and expansion even on King Difficulty.
Hopefully the AI can compete on higher difficulties.

Played for 10 hours straight from 12:30 AM EST until near 11 AM EST

10 Civs/10 CS/Full Shuffle Random Map/Standard Size/Prince/InfoAddict Mod v.19 running

Playing as Germany vs 9 other new civs

Map wound up being Pangaea. Zulu to the south, two CS up north followed by ice.
Shoshone to the Southeast, Portugal East, Assyria and Indonesia bordering them, Poland on the other side of the continent. Brazil furthest to the South

Learned that trade routes can not be ignored and got one as soon as possible and sent it to Brussels. Shoshone were off to a quick fast lead and have never looked back and own at least half of the map.

Assyria, Venice, Portugal and Morocco all taken out by either the Shoshone or Indonesia. Currently have 8 trade routes (7 by land, one by sea). Bringing in more than 260 gpt.

Have four cities on the main continent, one off on a one-hex island (Frankfurt). War hasn't been declared once on me because of my miraculous good relations, especially with Shaka, but a lot of death for the rest of the world.

Venice was the world #2 superpower at one point, until Indonesia and the Shoshone broke down their doors. I've been world #2 ever since.

Barbs were a huge pain in the neck early on. Lost my scout and a warrior rather quickly. Lots of trade route plundering, denouncements and I'm loving the World Congress even though the mighty Shoshone just about get everything done their way.

Owned the World's Fair, came up short with the International Games.
Influencing Poland.
Dyes, Wine and Whales outlawed.
Most of the world my religion (Protestant) but can't get it pushed through as World Religion.

AI very aggressive in their wars and tactics seemed to be improved from what I saw.

Even though I play with all of the victory conditions off because I stop when I feel like I met my goals or am too far ahead, the AI doesn't seem to care.
Cities being razed to the ground, several large sized naval and land battles along with good use of bombers and fighters.
The AI really does seem to be out for blood, even on Prince.

I have several Themed collections in Berlin and Cologne and a decent collection of Wonders but Shoshone, due to contributing the most during the Olympics tripled my tourism, the game is a lot more fun than it has been for me in recent memory. I was almost ready to give it up.

Haven't really noticed any bugs so far and believe me after a 10 hour session you'll notice them quite easily.

Expecting, at some point, Shaka or the Shoshone, both my best buds the entire game, to be knocking down my door. I really don't want to see the full size of the Shoshone army. :(

Definitely :goodjob: :goodjob: from me. :D

-Mark

It's invincible. Deal with it.

It doesn't seem to be an error, every value related to the religion spreading system has been multiplied by 10. This includes units as well as passive religion influence.

"Atheism", that is the natural tendency of a population to not get any religion, is 10 times as stronger than before too.
This technically should lead to no particular differences than before.

Yes, I remembered you didn't play past turn 60 shortly after I posted. My bad. :)

To answer your question though, the best I've been able to do so far is +7 gold... with the caravansary building, +9. And that's just the trade route, that doesn't count any tiles or buildings. By turn 50 in my last game, I was running a total of +17 gold by turn 50, minus any trade deals.

+7 gpt isn't bad. But 3:c5food:>+7 gpt. And as soon as you can DoF a civ you can get 240 :c5gold: from a lux. We need more infos!!!

7-Also, you can sell ambassy very soon in the game for 1 gpt :)(and maybe accelerate DoF apparition)

8-AI units still don't explore very far. Starting with a scout or 2 is optimal for early ruins and first meetings of cs. But they are more aggressive over barbs, i saw an AI double banging a camp and destroy it before the turn 10 :eek:

Playing as Arabia. Sadly, I'm on the island of Australia and no other civ is near me so I know no one :(

Can't believe someone played germany as their first roll with so many new civ features!

I actually plan on playing germany as well for my first game when i go home. Going to aim for a Cultural Autocracy Victory. I wanted to play a civ that had no connections to the new mechanics at all and also wanted to try and grab a Hand-Axe unit just because.

8-AI units still don't explore very far. Starting with a scout or 2 is optimal for early ruins and first meetings of cs. But they are more aggressive over barbs, i saw an AI double banging a camp and destroy it before the turn 10 :eek:

From what I've seen, the AI scouting units were far flung all over the map. I was surprised myself when I came across a Polish unit from the other side of the world They definitely do seem to range farther, at least in the 10 hour+ session game I'm playing now.

Right about the barbs though. I thought I would never feel bad for them until I saw multiple civs whacking them from all angles every turn.

@DeutschDachs - That was the first civ I wanted to use against the other 9 civs for my first game. I'm big on WWI/WWII history and somewhat of a scholar on Hitler and the NSDAP and I wanted to see Panzers run roughshot over everyone. Since i don't play with victory conditions active, that can definitely become a possibility if I play my cards right.

-Mark

Or make friends. He has the highest loyalty factor.
Interestingly enough, I had 4 positive diplo modifiers with him when he declared war on me... only one negative one and that was "covets land you currently own."
I'm not sure the number of positive modifiers themselves will trigger his loyalty factor. Loyalty should, if I'm not mistaken, affect the value he puts into you helping him, as well as - along with his very low deceptive rating - make him very unlikely to backstab you if you have a DoF. So maybe if you had cozied him into a DoF things might have turned out differently.

+7 gpt isn't bad. But 3:c5food:>+7 gpt. And as soon as you can DoF a civ you can get 240 :c5gold: from a lux. We need more infos!!!

7-Also, you can sell ambassy very soon in the game for 1 gpt :)(and maybe accelerate DoF apparition)

I hadn't even thought to sell an embassy for GPT instead of lump sum. Thanks! I've found selling luxury resources much harder in BNW... none of the AI seems to have any gold for me to trade for, other than what I'm getting from my trade routes with them. Maybe they're actually using is properly now! Haha

I'm not sure the number of positive modifiers themselves will trigger his loyalty factor. Loyalty should, if I'm not mistaken, affect the value he puts into you helping him, as well as - along with his very low deceptive rating - make him very unlikely to backstab you if you have a DoF. So maybe if you had cozied him into a DoF things might have turned out differently.

I think you're right. I actually tried to sign a DoF with him twice, but he wasn't having any of it. I can only conclude that his military campaign against me was premeditated. :lol:

Top Bottom