Broken Star

hoffman44

Chieftain
No one has said anything about the scenario BrokenStar.

Has anyone played it and likes it? Some general information would be nice.

It is entertaining, too many units near the end though (WAY too tedious). I think it is good practice for playing with modern units. Between me and my biggest foe we ended up using ~3000 troops over 250 turns! :eek:

Maybe epic would allow for fewer troops and less tedium, but I think the turn limit is still the same (250 turns) so you have to move faster. Marathon is way too slow to win with anything other than a time victory IMO.

I beat it on deity/normal but it sure was a tedious pain after the first six hours! (~8:58 total ~6500pts)

I am a big Fan of Broken Star and think its a great mod. I am no good at modding and therefore only good for ideas. so here are some modding ideas for the mod: I would like to see more UU's and UB's as well as have different units and buildings for the diferent districts. I would also like to see the Rebel Forces and Coalition as Playable Civs.

I am a big Fan of Broken Star and think its a great mod. I am no good at modding and therefore only good for ideas. so here are some modding ideas for the mod: I would like to see more UU's and UB's as well as have different units and buildings for the diferent districts. I would also like to see the Rebel Forces and Coalition as Playable Civs.

Your ideas have no substance because the firaxis modders never change much to their mods except maybe Jon Shafer. Modding is easy especially those ideas.

Your ideas have no substance because the firaxis modders never change much to their mods except maybe Jon Shafer. Modding is easy especially those ideas.

I am no good at coding or any other modding skill, so I post My Ideas so other people may include them in their mods if they wish, whether they are Firaxis Modders or a consumer Modder.:scan:

I have 2 issues with this mod.

1) The leaders and their respecive diplomatic music are different from the epic game. (small issue)

2) The unit strength progression is too small. Each advancement only grants you 2 extra strength, which is hardly anything in the inmmediate steps. Perhaps they can make the strength progression greater and more toward the end.

Otherwise this is a fine scenario.

I have 2 issues with this mod.

1) The leaders and their respecive diplomatic music are different from the epic game. (small issue)

2) The unit strength progression is too small. Each advancement only grants you 2 extra strength, which is hardly anything in the inmmediate steps. Perhaps they can make the strength progression greater and more toward the end.

Otherwise this is a fine scenario.

I agree with the unit streghth. Most of the units end up being underpowered.

I found it fun, though it's mostly about tactics and promotions, rather than a true historical sim. Pretty much the goal is to get oil; research, build and promote a powerful stack and take down some nukes. Then the fun really begins when the other players try to take the nukes from you, and the coalition sporadically assaults towards the nukes. I lost, pretty much because I neglected anti-air until the other players started to want the nukes, as the coalition doesn't use any air forces.

I think you will find that the sound change was probably deliberate.

AI spams their settlers though, and i hate them gobbling up land between two of my cities.

I found BS a little easy and didn't become a challenge until Immoral. In my Immoral game I barely got my 4th nuke armed to win before one of the AI with two vassal was about to take it on the very next turn. This AI almost double in power and growing each turn which already took my two of my cities around the 4th nuke. These cities acted as speed bumps that lead to my victory.
As Captinkid pointed out there were a massive amount of units near the end.

My second favorite scenario. I like the modern warfare in civ4 so it's nice to be able to use the modern units when tech and power levels are balanced.

If you hadn't built a settler yet they are very cool in this scenario, because the city starts with around 5 population and all the building preconstructed.

I played the eastern district and got nuked four times, but still managed to win domination after nuking them twice. It is a little too easy, so are all the other scenarios, but it might be boring to have to replay them many times to win.

Yeah, I think the scenario has huge potential but I felt like it was rushed and simply made use of some of the standard bts concepts (i.e. mercenaries) instead of going above and beyond the norm. I just visited Russia, so I'm a little biased, but I would love to see more history in this scenario as well as region specific units, buildings, etc.

Here in the West we always think of Russia as this monolithic country, but the areas of NW Russia (Moscow, St. Petersburg) are very different than other parts of the country. This mod just feels like a giant free for all that could be located in Africa or anywhere. I mean when you're going to have a mod about Russia, at least make it obvious that it's Russia!

I played this scenario a couple of times with the spiritual leader (forgot the name)

I always end up turning off research for the first couple of turns to save up money to buy 2 bomber. That way I can concentrate on building Mech Infantries for my initial conquest of the barbarians with oil.

With bombers, you can pre-bomb, as opposed to artilleries where you'd have to do it with the other units in place. Plus you can do air strikes once the Mech infantries are there.

My opening strategy was to use my main city solely for building buildings (and maybe some worker), with buying units with all remaining gold (100% gold, later less to quell unhappiness with culture slider).

With stack of mech. infantry and mobile artillery I could overpower any city.

It is an easy scenario if:
1- you concentrate immediately on taking a maximum of barbarian cities
2- you do no waste time trying to create settlers and new cities!
3- using teh tec tree is pointless: concentrate on "future tec" for expanding more (health + happyness), hence having a better production
4- using higher units, ex. infantry IV vs infantry I only makes sense if you also promote them. A +2 bonus for each research makes a lot of sense if you have a +20% or 30% strength.
5- do not take prisonners. Vassals will take nukes and wont give it to you: stand alone in the battle
6- built your armies while nukes are not taken. Places groups close from at least 4 nukes. Wait for an opponent to weaken the group and take the nuke when both sides are weaken...
7- don't worry too much about building stuff in your cities: make them good at producing units and use ALT+unit for infinite unit creation loop

I enjoyed playing it. No need to have so many units as some players!! Just have groups of units with good promotion ratherthan quantities: it will be more fun to play with less micro management.
However, I won it, and I am unsure if I will play it again. and might favor anotrher scenario where fighting is less crucial (I am a builder...)

I played this scenario a couple of times with the spiritual leader (forgot the name)

I always end up turning off research for the first couple of turns to save up money to buy 2 bomber. That way I can concentrate on building Mech Infantries for my initial conquest of the barbarians with oil.

With bombers, you can pre-bomb, as opposed to artilleries where you'd have to do it with the other units in place. Plus you can do air strikes once the Mech infantries are there.

Its an interesting scenario but the tech tree and oil distribution are problems. As the previous poster stated, there is little benefit from researching better units. The power increase is too small to justify turtling.

Rushing the nearest barbarian city with oil is clearly a dominant strategy. Its easy to pump out stacks of modern armor and bombers to claim a huge empire after capturing oil. The AI doesn't prioritize oil enough and this really weakens it. Several AIs researched Flight or Armor without trying to take nearby cities with oil.

It probably would be an interesting MP map but the AI doesn't recognize that it should ignore early research and prioritize capturing oil.

Top Bottom