Birdilization 2

BIRDILIZATION II

Now released! There is one zip file named Birdiliz.zip

I have included a readme.htm and labels.txt files all versions of civ, although the game is playable without this file. Unzip the contents into your scenario directory in a folder called Birdilize or whatever you like. Treat as any other scenario.

Enjoy!

Please be sure to post here so that I know if you enjoyed it or not and if you have suggestions.

CivPartisan

Attachments

• BIRDILIZ.zip
    2 MB · Views: 232
*UPDATE*

Currently, I am play testing the scenario and making adjustments to the environment and events. All of the units have been remapped for game play to offer a new experience:

I like to make extensive graphics changes in modpack style whenever I develop a scenario. One of the gifs I like to change is the People.gif because it is a subtle yet nice detail when opening the city screen:

I don't generally go as far as to change faces by epoch, but I have in the past. Since they are birds I didn't think it much mattered. Also, in mentioning the city screen, it is cool to change the icon graphics. The icons are the little pics that show up for improvements and wonders, and also for food,shields,trade,etc. Here is what I came up with:

I tend to be less critical of the icon pictures. It is hard enough just to get a 36x20 pixel frame to even look like a picture than to even get the one you want. Essentially, its only 720 pixels to work with!

You can expect a release coming by next weekend as I have already started the preliminary work on my next scenario

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello to any and all Civ2 fanatics out there!

In October of 1999, Nick Coman created a modpack called 'Birdilization.' He also started a website

called 'The Nest Of Birdilization' and you can still find it here:

(http://www.oocities.org/timessquare/tower/4202/index.html).

I tried out the modpack and it gave me a number of ideas to create a 'bird' scenario but that was years

ago and I never worked enough on it to create a release. Going back over the files, I've reworked my

own ideas and I've just about finished the scenario.

Other than the name, however, this scenario has nothing in common with Nick Coman's original modpack.

I created 55 new units, replaced all the city and wonder icons and created an all new people.gif. I've

modified every unit of course, created a scenario based on a world map with 5 playable tribes: Avians,

Carrions, Water Foul, Domestic Foul and Birds of Prey. All of the Techs in the rules.txt as well as

improvements reflect the bird theme. I've also taken the time to include new sound files with authentic

bird and animal sounds.

I wanted to have this thread open for those who will want to play this scenario and get some feedback on

it.

Best to all,

CivPartisan

This looks very interesting...

Thanks for your comments :wavey:

Good news! We're on schedule for release. I was shooting for Saturday but might release this Friday night since play testing has gone well. This is a building and blood-lust scenario similar to the Dinosaurs scenario distributed with Fantastic Worlds and MGE. Some updates for what has been done:

*NEW Sounds rechecked and reformatted to 8bit, Mono, 22050, 176k (FINISHED)
*NEW Graphics for units rechecked and finalized for scenario (FINISHED)
*NEW Icons, Title.gif & terrains rechecked and finalized (FINISHED)
*rules.txt, city.txt, labels.txt, game.txt, menu.txt finalized (80%)
*events.txt finalized and checked in all civ versions 2.42-MGE (FINISHED)
*Map and Birdilize.scn file finalized and checked (FINISHED)
*readthis.txt file, readme.txt, notes.txt written and finalized (2%)

I will work on the .txt files and test them thoroughly before their release. Currently, I am writing a new labels.txt for Fantastic Worlds, since it is always the only version that never works with the standard labels.txt format (string heap size is critical to FW for some reason). I may add additional city names to the city.txt, and I am not sure how much work I will invest in the game.txt at this time. The menu.txt is a little tid-bit I do for those who wish to play the scenario often.

BE SURE TO CHECK BACK HERE ON FRIDAY NIGHT AT

10:00 PM Pacific Standard Time, AUGUST 21, 2015

TO DOWNLOAD BIRDILIZATION II

To all civ fanatics out there,

Thanks in advance to all who download the scenario. I hope that it brings you as much fun as it was for me to make it.

:goodjob:

Hello Everyone!

I am exceptionally pleased with the number of visits to this thread and I will definitely be adding more scenarios here in the forums for Civ II players. Here are some additional thoughts on Birdilization II to new visitors to give them a better feel for the game:

Use common chickens and roosters to spy on enemy birds and sabotage nest improvements!

Use cute, unsuspecting Chinstrap penguins to explore the continent and expand your territory!

Be on the lookout for fierce predators that show up specifically to raid your nests and eat canaries!

Capture human hunters and get paid ransom!

But this is only the beginning....

Build unique improvements to your nest including: Sun Flower Seed Hunt (Pyramids), Highest Mountain Nest (Great Wall), and even the Winter Flight South (Apollo Program). Play in an environment that feels like like your playing birds. Build powerful predators that consume your enemies and other angry birds that provide strong defenses against surprise attacks. Enjoy a game play that includes the sound effects of wings flapping, bird songs/bird calls, animal sounds and much more!

Then post your experience in this thread and your high score!

Good luck!

:thumbsup:

Hello Everyone,

I wanted to remind you that in the zip file there is a menu.txt file that modifies the menu for the game. It is a touch I added for those who like to see the atmosphere touched up a bit.

Look along the menu bar and you can see that even the pull down menu has been changed. You might have to play with it a little just to see what I've done, but I'm certain you will get a kick out of it.

I will continue to update this as much as time permits. I am currently working on other scenarios for release.

Cheers!

:D

Hey Everyone!

Great to see civfanatics out there having fun! I wanted to add a tidbit to the post and answer a couple of questions that I often get:

So why did I include some units and not others?

Such as with scenario building there are going to be units that you want to include but either (there are not enough unit slots but I could've use the additional slots for FW and MGE, but I never do anymore and that's just me) or they are just a repeat of the abilities of other units.

You see, I find the original civ well balanced in terms of the number of units. Unless there is a good reason, I really find there are more than enough unit slots. You can see The above graphic shows additional birds that I could have used but chose not to. Actually, you could add them by placing them in the bottom slots of the units.gif yourself.

I think players of scenarios should have that option because modding isn't just for modders, it's for players too and that's why I leave those slots open. You might have an idea to pick up from where I left off and that is just what you should do if you want to. It just makes the scenario better or the way you want to play it.

I really did like a couple of these units: the flying fish, the emperor penguin, the dodo bird. I wanted to make these available in case someone wants to use them. Just do the right click and choose 'save as' thing and you should be fine. If it doesn't work pm me and I will send them to you.

AND THANKS FOR DOWNLOADING BECAUSE IT'S SO FUN TO PLAY

Top Bottom