The City States of Greece

how is it really a core mechanic. Its relevant in the beginning but beyond that its a non-factor. You should at least have it that people exist in-game and can talk with their words affecting NPC public opinion (peasant rabble raising, hurrah) and effect skill level in the relevant categories.

Of course for the sake of the game I agree that peasants should not be able to engage in political actions until they get uplifted by chance to the political state, but for the sake of peoples involvement encouraging RP and debate early is better than having them sit idly by twiddling their thumbs.

First off, I have the new Syntagma (Constitution) of Athens:

ATHENIAN SYNTAGMA

Are there separate branches of government?
No

Is religion a part of government?
No

Who has the power to decide:
What to build in the city: The Prinkipas
What to research: Technology Advisor. The Prinkipas appoints to this position.
What social policy to choose: Advisor on Domestic Affairs. The Prinkipas appoints to this position.

How will the things mentioned above be decided?
Each Minister advises the Prinkipas and submits the final decision, but the Prinkipas may override the advisor if they wish.

What is the Megalis?
The Megalis will be a council made up of a representative from each noble family in Athens. If no noble family is present, the Megalis will become dormant until a new noble family arrives in Athens. The Megalis can create laws, but said laws can be overturned by the Prinkipas.

How do you amend the Syntagma?
Amendments to the Syntagma can be made by decree of the Prinkipas or by a vote of the Megalis. Amendments passed by the Magalis can be vetoed by the Prinkipas.

-

Military

Who controls the units? Is there a general for each unit, for each group?
The Prinkipas is the Lord of the Army, but generals may be appointed to lead Athenian troops in times of war.

Who has the power to declare war? To order an attack?
The Prinkipas or the Megalis may declare war. The Prinkipas orders attacks, but can hand off that duty to a general or Megalis member.

Who has the power to make peace?
The Prinkipas of the Megalis may make peace.

What is the military's hierarchy?
The Prinkipas is in charge of the military, but may appoint generals to lead units.

-

Diplomacy

Who has the power to make agreements with foreign leaders?
The Prinkipas shall be in charge of diplomacy, but it may appoint an Ambassador that will temporarily deal with the nation. The Megalis has the power to negotiate a peace, or declare a war, however.

Who will travel to other civilizations or receive foreign leaders?
The Prinkipas shall appoint an Ambassador to travel to other lands, and the Prinkipas and Megalis, together, shall receive foreign visitors.

-

Policies

Who has the power to make domestic policies (which involve migration, crime, value promotion)?
The Advisor on Domestic Affairs.

Who has the power to develop foreign policies?
The Prinkipas, or an Ambassador when applicable. The Megalis has the power to negotiate a peace, or declare a war, however.

-

Offices

What are all the possible positions in government? What power do they have (what do they do?)
Prinkipas: The leader of the nation and the Commander in Chief. He may make laws, declare wars, make peace, and negotiate with foreigners.
Technology Advisor: Advises Prinkipas on technology, makes final selection, but may be overridden by Prinkipas.

Advisor on Domestic Affairs: Advises Prinkipas on social policies, makes final selection, but may be overridden by Prinkipas.
Megalis Delegate: The delegate to the Megalis from a specific noble house. Each House may appoint only 1 member to the Megalis, who must be above the age of 18.

Other Offices

Ambassador: appointed by the Prinkipas, in charge of relations with a specific nation.
General: appointed leader of a division of soldiers by the Prinkipas.

-

Land

Land
may only be owned by nobles, plebians, or warriors. All land once owned by a noble, plebian, or warrior is inheritable according to his will and owned by that persons’ heir of the land according to that will in perpetuity. This remains so unless they decide to sell the land to another House or individual. Land not owned by a noble, plebian, or warrior is property of the city and can be sold by the Prinkipas to nobles, plebians, or warriors. The Prinkipas can designate certain land “public” and under the control of the Megalis. Nobles, plebians, or warriors who die without any descendants have their land automatically put on the market for sale unless they specify a recipient in their will. The Prinkipas is the only body that can grant land. “Public” land is for the profit of the Megalis. Prinkipoi are free to sell land owned by the city. They may buy said land. However, all proceeds from the selling of the city’s lands go to the city’s coffers, not the Prinkipas’s.

Taxes

Taxes are income tax as a percentage of a person’s income. They are

Security Tax: 10% goes to paying the military, excess goes into city coffer (cannot be used for personal use) under the control of the Prinkipas.
Public Improvement Tax: 5% goes to paying for improvement, goes into city coffer (cannot be used for personal use) under the control of the Megalis.

No one is exempt from taxes.

Taxes may be created by decree of the Prinkipas or the Megalis. The Megalis may not have more than 2 taxes at a time, and the combined taxes may be no more than 10%.

Law and Justice

Who has the power to make laws?
Prinkipas or Megalis, but can be overturned by the Prinkipas.

Who has the power to reform laws?
Prinkipas or Megalis, but can be overturned by the Prinkipas.

How are laws made?
Laws will be made by decree of the Prinkipas or by a vote of the Megalis, but laws made by the Megalis can be overturned by the Prinkipas.

Who can punish criminals? How?
The Prinkipas, or a person he appoints. The Prinkipas may also send a criminal to the Megalis for judgement.

Who is enforcing the laws?
The Prinkipas.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Second off, I agree with Jehoshua. I actually thought I put the scout first, but... I guess we all make mistakes.

NEW ORDER CHANGE
Scout FIRST then monument

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Third, does anyone have any requests for positions? (When you actually exist, that is)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Fourth, Prota is the Prinkipas, in case it wasn't obvious.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Fifth, I think people that dont exist yet should be allowed to talk as little unimportant people that are planning for greatness.

So if I were to join, and I just so happened to be the person joining when a new city was founded, I'd rule that city?

That's not true. It will continue to be relevant throughout the game. Even after all the players are born NPCs and eventually second characters will still be a large factor in the game. Potentially that can mean NPC run city-states, players who were previously weak getting their own cities to run, and powerful players getting control of a new city.

And besides that, it limits who can be in what city. The most powerful players can move to any city they want (Gaining prestige from renown, or manipulating the structure of a new city), while the weak players are stuck in whatever city they are put in. I like the system, it is staying.

Also, even though sessions will eventually be 10 turns, in the beginning I will be playing until something significant happens. So with the current build orders that will be a new citizen being born.

I will be willing to be advisor on domestic affairs if your so willing. Filli may be a good tech advisor I might add since he tends to have a good head for technology. If you think Im too irritating to be a domestic advisor I suppose I would accept a job running that warrior group for you.

As to Dot, fine have it your way, you are our glorious GM, but its still supremely bizzarre to me to prevent people from having any interaction with the game until some random birth. At least peasants should be able to talk and have their words have some effect in game. As to your system, I was thinking that players after a certain point will always be in the game thus making the principle of absence irrelevant in later stages of the game. Are you saying that they will at times be absent after they enter the game originally?

So if I were to join, and I just so happened to be the person joining when a new city was founded, I'd rule that city?

Yes you would. But it'd be impossible to wait to join the list until a city is being founded because when the players run out I am just going to add NPCs and allow rejoining. So you have to join ahead of time and hope you get a city.

Even if it had an effect on what happened, it would be very very minimal because who is going to listen to some peasant? No players don't become inactive but eventually you will be allowed to have a second line of characters to control in addition to your original, and of course NPCs. The system is set up to give some players random advantages over others. When you are born your advantage will be that yours is the only other noble family in Athens, and that your only competitor is Tambien until another citizen is born.

peasants listen to peasants, ever hear of the archetypical peasant revolt ;) although in reality should you follow my suggestion that would merely be shifting opinions based on a particularly charismatic peasant over time. But as I said its up to you.

I will be willing to be advisor on domestic affairs if your so willing. Filli may be a good tech advisor I might add since he tends to have a good head for technology. If you think Im too irritating to be a domestic advisor I suppose I would accept a job running that warrior group for you.

As to Dot, fine have it your way, you are our glorious GM, but its still supremely bizzarre to me to prevent people from having any interaction with the game until some random birth. At least peasants should be able to talk and have their words have some effect in game. As to your system, I was thinking that players after a certain point will always be in the game thus making the principle of absence irrelevant in later stages of the game. Are you saying that they will at times be absent after they enter the game originally?
As soon as you are born, you may be a Domestic AND Tech Advisor.

hmm, I would rather someone else gets the tech position but I suppose I would be the only person. I can always give it to someone later.

yes, anyways, dot, are you continuing with the game today until we get that second citizen? I mean there is nothing else to do really :p

Just wondering, does our houses start as noble houses, or do we have to make that happen? :p

Also, when I'm born (Should happen soon, I'm 2nd in line :p) I'd like to get well... Any job, I'm fine with pretty much everything :p

You'll probably get that tech thing since your third in line.

I believe that I'm second in line :p

Edit: A suggestion:
In order to solve our future economical trouble, I believe that we should beeline for Bronze Working, and then build The Colossus wonder, so that water tiles will be 2/0/2 when "mined"

Im counting Tam as the first in line, although you are correct in that since he is in the game already he is really not in line at all.

My thoughts exactly :p

Also, a question :p If a player owned a tile, could they then deny the city to work that tile?

probably not. Because the authority of the city would override the player and he would end up hanging upside down in a cesspit if he even tried to deny the city authorities.

Top Bottom