No World Congress UA?

Agravesx

Chieftain
Out of all the new features in BNW, the one that I thought was the most interesting was the world congress. I was pretty disappointed after I found out that the Shoshone and Venice were the last two civs, simply because I really hoping that there would be a civ with a world congress UA.

So, I'm hoping they will update one of the current civs with a World Congress UA. Do you guys think they will do it? If so, what civ do you think will get the change?

I'm actually happy that there isn't a World Congress UA because diplomacy should be a level playing field that doesn't make anyone better at it because there has never been a nation that was universally noteworthy for its diplomacy, only noteworthy men & women

It would be a somewhat late game UA. Like I said in my thread I don't think any old Civ is goanna get a major rework besides France so at best you might get someone with a tacked on extra thing like England got in G&K. I'm not sure what it would be exactly though, extra delegates? A bonus to projects like the World games?
This could possibly apply to America although it is simply tacking more on to an already jumbled UA. At least it would fit in between it UU's. Who else would have this type of bonus?
Maybe Korea could ignore a world ruling once per era :p

You gain additional delegates for city state allies. It could be argued that city state civs like Siam and Greece have the diplomacy bonus.

Russia or Austria could get an extra delegate for every city state they conquer or annex like what the Soviets tried to do in the UN.

While no Civ has a UA deliberately designed to take advantage of the WC there are some UAs that will clearly impact on it, if only indirectly.

- England: Extra spy/diplomat. Probably the most direct impact of any UA.
- Greece: City-states influence.
- Austria: Permanent removal of a city state.
- Venice: Permanent removal of a city state? I'm not sure if Venice's CS puppets can be liberated or not.

Yeah really the only ones I can think that would get it would be Russia, Austria, Germany, or America.....and the more I think about it the less I think it would work. Most of the ones either are too straight forward/boring or else are gamey and involve the AI.

There are already civs that get a bonus to Diplomacy, though. Greece is the most obvious one, though Siam also gets help incidentally if you are playing them correctly.

More importantly, to me, is that financial civs get a MAJOR bonus to diplomacy if you choose to go that route. (Religious civs as well, though a more minor one tied mostly to the Piety track.) Basically, if you want to play a diplomatic game in G+K, and you go as The Netherlands, you are likely to be miles ahead just because you are rolling in gold to buy off CSes and because the smart "secret goal" of the Dutch is to try to get every luxury resource going through your nation, which will have the added effect of giving you a lot of CS allies.

Moreover, as some have already noted, Polynesia has a WC bonus just on account of them being able to meet every civ first much more easily than everyone else and thus get the WC first of everyone, gaining the extra delegate. America also has a slight advantage over most cultures in this, thanks to their extra sight.

Out of all the new features in BNW, the one that I thought was the most interesting was the world congress. I was pretty disappointed after I found out that the Shoshone and Venice were the last two civs, simply because I really hoping that there would be a civ with a world congress UA.

So, I'm hoping they will update one of the current civs with a World Congress UA. Do you guys think they will do it? If so, what civ do you think will get the change?

They don't balance in multiplayer, like at all. Venice is arguably also possibly bad in multiplayer, but they can play water maps fairly well and generally speaking can do the peaceful game. Civs with CS bonuses are going to do well with congress I suspect.

Any civ which can more easily buy CS allies will indirectly have a bonus in the diplomatic game. Portugal, Morocco, Venice (Double trade routes), et cetera. In addition, the civs which whose unique ability has to do with city states will get a diplomatic bonus, such as Greece.

In the same way that England got an extra spy in G&K, I'd bet money that someone (maybe Greece?) gets an extra delegate in BNW.

Sweden can buy city=state influence if you have great people to spare. Along with Greece, those two civs will probably benefit most from the new emphasis on city states (which incidentally also seem to be good sources of international trade).

In the same way that England got an extra spy in G&K, I'd bet money that someone (maybe Greece?) gets an extra delegate in BNW.

I doubt it will be as simple as extra delegate. Probably one civ will get more delegates from allied city-states. Another one could get more delegates on other special conditions like on hosting the WC (sorry for the abbreviation).

Its hard to think of a UA that would balance in multiplayer that affects diplomacy

Its hard to think of a UA that would balance in multiplayer that affects diplomacy

If it increases votes from city-states, for example, it would work in MP in completely the same way. There are many other approaches which would fit too.

If it increases votes from city-states, for example, it would work in MP in completely the same way. There are many other approaches which would fit too.

True, but it would be rather bland. How would it work, an extra delegate per 2 city states? Meh.

Something more exciting might be 1 veto per era, but I struggle to see which Civ this would suit. Or perhaps the ability to propose a motion/vote once per era, even when you're not hosting?

Both seems very weak, as only comes into play the late game and don't do that much. The only way a WC UA would be good enough is if it lets you completely dominate the UA, which wouldn't be fun for the others. Although I guess a weak UA could be compensated by stronger UU/UB/UI

True, but it would be rather bland. How would it work, an extra delegate per 2 city states? Meh.

Number of delegates is increased with era, so you could have full 1 additional delegate per CS after specific era.

Something more exciting might be 1 veto per era, but I struggle to see which Civ this would suit. Or perhaps the ability to propose a motion/vote once per era, even when you're not hosting?

This could be a bonus ability of Russians, for example.
"During the first 10 years of the UN, the Soviet Union used its veto 79 times. In the same period, the Republic of China used the veto once, France twice and the others not at all." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrei_Gromyko#The_United_Nations

Both seems very weak, as only comes into play the late game and don't do that much. The only way a WC UA would be good enough is if it lets you completely dominate the UA, which wouldn't be fun for the others. Although I guess a weak UA could be compensated by stronger UU/UB/UI

These could be additions to existing UA the same way as bonus spy is adition to English UA. I'd expect veto to be part of Russian UA and bonus city-state votes could be US UA.

Top Bottom