New Natural Wonder Bit Much

God I love playing Spain. Doubling already great bonuses like this is so much fun :lol:

Sadly I've only seen the fountain of youth ONCE across hundreds of plays and I wasn't even Spain to experiment with an invincible army :(

Part of the reason +6 production is a little much for a single tile in BNW is that you can ship food to the city that works KSM until it catches up in pop, all the while working a +6 production tile.

And the frequency of KSM is 4, which isn't common, but it's more common than Eldorado. Someone else already pointed this out a few posts back. Thus KSM will be appearing more than a handful of other natural wonders.

Well more than El Dorado or the Fountain of Youth... I think I've seen El Dorado maybe 7-8 times total and the Fountain of Youth only once. I don't think it will be a big deal

Part of the reason +6 production is a little much for a single tile in BNW is that you can ship food to the city that works KSM until it catches up in pop, all the while working a +6 production tile.

But you could also just ship Production to a city working a couple of +5 Food tiles, if you were willing to use up a trade route like that.

It will be pretty crazy for Spain, I'll give you that.

But you could also just ship Production to a city working a couple of +5 Food tiles, if you were willing to use up a trade route like that.

It will be pretty crazy for Spain, I'll give you that.

There are already crazy wonders for Spain. A while ago someone posted a thread showing his game a Spain with a city founded near the coral reef. He got the double bonuses from BOTH the tiles, making it a better science civ than Babylon and Korea.

Spain UA is pretty random, it can give you insane bonuses in one game and absolutely nothing in another.

Damn, now I can't get Toto's Africa out of my head.

Anyway, I am not complaining about the new Wonders. FY is both fictional and overpowered but when it's in my empire I'm not mad. ;)

Unless King Solomon simply raised his hands, and nature provided him with a mine, I wouldn't classify it as a natural wonder...

I wouldn't classify El Dorado as one either, but we've crossed that bridge a long time ago.

It's actually not that much worse (I would even argue less bad) than the Fountain of Youth.

Crapton of happiness, and all your units forever heal at double speed. Yeah...

~R~
yeah i agree fountain of youth still the best, 10 happiness + heals at double rate, not to mention that if your playing Isabella you will get 20 happiness. :goodjob:

Unless King Solomon simply raised his hands, and nature provided him with a mine, I wouldn't classify it as a natural wonder...

Think of it more as the deposits that lead to King Solomon's mine. At least, that's how I'm looking at it.

-GB

Ignoring Spain (which turns virtually any Natural Wonder into an insane bonus), this shouldn't be that game-breaking. While you are working the 6 hammer tile, you aren't earning any gold, food, culture or faith from that citizen. Even with a granary and waterwheel, that means that (barring BnW food imports and Maritime alliances) the largest city size you could have without farms is 3 (1 citizen from granary and 1 from waterwheel).

Granted, you would eventually farm tiles to increase food yield and/or import food into the city, but I don't think it would just be an IWIN button in the early game, since you're giving up early population growth to use it.

It looks like Lake Victoria has 6food, which is pretty nice for the Ancient Era. Spain would get 12 food. I wonder if the Aztec Floating Garden would modify that.

Well if you play as Catherine and have iron on a hill that is 4 hammers without even mining it so this 6 hammer natural wonder is not such a big deal.

Started a game today with Uluru nicely placed for a second city. Guaranteed religion in one of the few NWs you can work as the first tile in a newly-founded city (because it generates 2 food) is nothing to sniff at, and as Spain it's downright unfair. The fact that it's a food tile makes it more immediately exploitable than the Mines, which really have to be right next to your first city's borders for most of these concerns to be a major bonus.

Not to mention that it isn't even close to being as powerful as starting next to Krakatoa (not that that's ever happened to me) - +6/+12 production isn't a patch on +5/+10 science.

KSM is very good, but there are several very good NWs out there.

Nvm, found it at well of souls. Interesting... doesn't seem very "natural."

It's the title and subject of an early (late 19th Century) adventure novel, one of the first riding on the back of a surge of popular interest in archaeology, particularly in Egypt. I presume that's the thematic link with the expansion (that and possibly great writings?) - unlike the other fictional NWs, King Solomon's Mines have no basis in myth, they're a purely literary creation (like, say, Shangri-La).

If they're making NWs on the back of popular adventure fiction, maybe we'll get Mt Roirama after all (though that's real and fully deserving).

While they're about it, they should rename the Iroquois "the Mohicans" and replace Hiawatha with Hawkeye...

I wish there was a way to disable some of the wonders but keep others. Fountain of Youth, Cerro De Potosi and El Dorado all annoy me.

There's already a mod that removes the two mythical ones. I'm also not sure why Potosi is in the list - I'm not aware of anything that makes it obviously deserving of "wonder" status, but it's a real landform.

No natural wonder can beat the sheer op of the Grand Mesa! In the late game it only yields one less :c5production: than a hill/riverside trading post and you didn't need to spend any precious turns building it.

Top Bottom