GWall question

dasaard200

Prince
Dutch Willy doth hide behind his GWall in Amsterdam(n), I wonder IF :
1) I pound the crap out of his city, with +1 range frigates, down to zero health;
2) CAN I drop Paratroops directly ON that city ??; or;
3) Just ram a Privateer or two into the city and be done with it ?

1 and 3. Use Frigates until 0 health, sail the Privateer in that is hiding behind them and capture Amsterdam. If he doesn't even have Dynamite (GW not absolute) and you are using Paratroopers - 2 eras ahead of Dynamite, I don't think he has a chance no matter what you do. Why would you be using Frigates and not Battleships if you have Paratroopers anyway since Electronics are required to get Radar?

I don't YET have BB's, but I was thinking ahead with a look at Rotterdam (MCMXL).
Now buying LOTS of sea tiles to do a 1-3 turn mass upgrade in my foreward cities ... then Dutch Willy is TOAST .
Or, I could punch out Byzantium, for sea tiles; but I'm going for a cultural VC (hahaha) .
While I have 20 oil, Willy has half the oil on the map . Not an easy nut to crack .

So #1, #3 it is.

I believe that to capture a GW city it is always best if you can get to it from the sea; even if it isn't actually coastal it may still be available to naval bombardment and marine landing.
Failing that I would wait for artillery or bombers and/or citadel bomb your way to it.

So wait, the GW becoming obsolete happens the Wall-having Civ researches dynamite, not the Civ who is trying to attack it?

Correct. The builder of the GW gets the benefits of the GW until such time as he decides to obsolete the GW by researching Dynamite.

Of course, if the attacker has bombers, tanks and artillery, the GW is merely a slight impediment. Also, the GW does not affect naval movement, so if the GW was built in a coastal city, that city remains vulnerable to capture from the sea.

Top Bottom