Yosemite Reports?

jpinoniemi

Warlord
Supporter
Other than romanempire1 having hot key problems, has anyone else upgraded to Yosemite and tested Civ V?

I'm holding off on upgrading to see if Civ V is working or not.

Jason

I've upgraded but I haven't tried Civ yet. I just finished my last in-progress game, and with BE coming out in a few days...

I have noticed that Steam itself seems to be having some kind of rendering issues in the client.

Other than romanempire1 having hot key problems, has anyone else upgraded to Yosemite and tested Civ V?

I'm holding off on upgrading to see if Civ V is working or not.

Jason

I have an Early 2011 MacBook Pro (Intel HD 3000) and as far as I can tell, it runs about the same as it did before. I still don't get leader animations, unfortunately. I haven't noticed any bugs or graphical improvements. The game loads slightly quicker, but that's it.

edit: This is in the Mac App Store version, btw.

I upgraded today and had no problems launching a game or loading a saved game. I won't have time to play much until later in the week, but so far so good.

I upgraded several days ago, and I started Steam and Civ 5, but got an error message saying that it is "not available on your platform" and won't play.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-10-21 at 6.57.51 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2014-10-21 at 6.57.51 PM.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 162
  • Screen Shot 2014-10-21 at 7.14.00 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-10-21 at 7.14.00 PM.png
    45.4 KB · Views: 126
I can't get it to run, at least the Steam version...the Aspyr launcher just bounces and bounces...

Is your Steam client up to date? Here is my Steam client info. You can check for updates from the top menu bar. Click on Steam, check for updates.

Attachments

• steam.jpg
    steam.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 156
I'm running the Steam version on a 2007 iMac with Yosemite, no problems.

I've launched both App Store and Steam versions on my new Yosemite iMac. They seem to run fine - it's a 27" 5K Retina, and everything looks as smooth as silk.

It's also interesting that the Mods menu has now appeared in the App Store version, and it seems to work! I've no idea how that happened, as I was never able to get it to appear on my older systems.

I've been considering how to replace my first generation Mac Pro for some time. It can only run Lion, as it has a 32 bit boot rom, even though it's a 64 bit system everywhere else. When the new iMac appeared, I decided to jump. I think it was the first one my local Apple store had sold.

Congrats on the new iMac, Alan! I'll be replacing my 2006 Mac Pro with one at the beginning of December since I'll be on the road before then. What screen resolution are you running Civ V at, and was there any problem getting Civ up and running on the new machine?

It was pretty painless. I told the iMac to migrate all my settings, documents and applications over from my Mac Pro, and left them to it overnight. The next day, it all seemed to have happened.

I have selected the largest screen resolution available in the resolution menu, and set all the graphics options as high as they will go. The available screen res options seem to vary between App Store and Steam versions. There are no HDPI options listed under Steam, and at least one of the options that was listed resulted in a tiny window with miniature, unclickable buttons.

I don't really play the game for its own sake, so I always run it in a window. This allows me to flip between it and other activities. For example, I may be checking the forums, or running Xcode and other utilities if I'm working on code to analyse saves for GOTMs. I have tried running full screen mode, which scales well, and there may be other ways to set it up that I haven't tested yet.

As far as I recall, I was able to launch both versions of Civ5 after migration without any further action, and they both came up initially configured as they were on my Mac Pro. The only major change was that, as mentioned above, the App Store version now has its Mods menu enabled. The Steam version has since updated to the new patch.

Thanks, Alan. I only have the Steam version, but I'm not migrating from my old machine. I'm going to start fresh, except for the data files, of course.

I just updated to Yosemite today and no problems.

I did have a sound issue, but it was system-wide. I was able to fix by going to my system preferences and fixing the sound output there. For some reason after updating to Yosemite it changed to digital instead of my external speakers.

Top Bottom