25% CPU usage

insert_brain

Chieftain
Hello everyone,

sorry for opening again another thread about turn times, but as the title says I get a CPU usage of ~25% (from 15 up to 35-40 tops) and turns take between 1'30" - 2', often taking a long time for a specific civ (with no apparent CPU usage increase).
Here are my specs:

I5-4670 (3.40 GHz, turbo 3.80GHz, 4 cores)
8GB RAM
Radeon HD 7950 (3 GB VRAM)

I play with no combat/movement animations.
I checked the process settings and the affinity is set to all cores, and checking in the resource manager none of the cores is ever going even near 60% usage. The GPU clearly is not a bottleneck.
It would seem like (although I have no hard evidence, e.g. I didn't time it) this slowdown happens once I load a saved game, because it seems to me that a few hours ago when I stopped playing the time between turns was way less (I'm almost certain). To this regard, I loaded a manually saved game (no auto/quick save).
I cant seem to figure this out, so I'm here asking for the community to help if you will, thank you all :)

Do you use any mods? If so, remove them, and all related files from the steam and windows folders. If that fixes the problem, then load back one at a time. Doing test games each time.

Do you use any mods? If so, remove them, and all related files from the steam and windows folders. If that fixes the problem, then load back one at a time. Doing test games each time.

Thanks for answering. I do use mods and will definitely try what you suggested, but in general they just update the DB, no dll/lua and I'm pretty sure I had the same problem with no mods.

Civ V is mostly single threaded.
What you see is windows distributing a single thread across your 4 cores. 25% each.

Civ 5 is not single-threaded. Civ 5 is able to use multiple threads to increase performance and decrease turn time.

Someone else on this forum had this same issue with 25% utilization, but was unable to find a solution. It's a strange issue. The only suggestion I can offer you is to go Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5\config.ini and scroll down to the [CONFIG] section. Make sure the first 2 settings look like this:

; Enables the game core to run in a separate thread
EnableGameCoreThreading = 1

; Set the game core thread to use the Job Manager, or its own dedicated thread
GameCoreThreadingUsesJobManager = 0

If that doesn't work, try setting GameCoreThreadingUsesJobManager = 1

Good luck.

Top Bottom