Let's Fix "Renderer Error" Once and For All

Petek, thanks for the info on the nVidia forum. FWIW the blogpost link didn't have anything revolutionary, but the support forum appears well moderated by nVidia insiders who are in a position to do something about this.

I'm going to wait for Redaxe to report back on the Babylon save when his PC is back and running. Then I'll make a post redux of this thread on nVidia and see if it gets any traction.

I'm going to wait for Redaxe to report back on the Babylon save when his PC is back and running. Then I'll make a post redux of this thread on nVidia and see if it gets any traction.

Ok reporting back.

They did reproduce and confirm the error.

What they did do was
1) Reinstall the video card driver
2) BIOS update (Motherboard is old so perhaps there was a conflict between the BIOS and the graphics card)
3) When I reinstalled Windows 7 Microsoft went ahead and tried to install its 150 or so updates :rolleyes:
Some of these failed to install correctly and one update I think they said that was either corrupted/or failed to install correctly was a NVIDIA driver that Windows tried to put on. So possibly that clashed with the Graphics card or the BIOS although I'm not sure. I'm not sure what they did with that one; they might have either removed it or reinstalled it.

After those fixes they reported no crashes or any other problems. They had Civ 5 running over the entire weekend and reported that on Monday morning it was still running clean and fresh. Temperature was good. When I tried it and actually I'm amazed. They had all the video settings turned up on Max and it runs really well (before it was a laggy as and the screen was tearing and even in the lowest graphics settings it was unstable. So I'm really surprised just how much kick the E8500 CPU produces when the Video Card is optimized. I honestly didn't expect to be running Civ 5 on max on a large sized map.

I tested your save twice and no CTDs or other problems. Seems to be clean so it was definitely a driver or BIOS issue.

Ok. Thanks for your update.

Glad they were able to resolve it for you.

If you start a thread on the nVidia forum, please link to it here. Thanks!

Thanks for posting the link. Some of our moderators will attend Firaxicon this coming weekend. I've asked that they raise the issue whether this will be patched (extremely unoptimistic, though).

@Petek, good idea. It never hurts to ask.

Also, you posted your dxdiag put I'm unable to determine exactly what graphics card you have. Can you please post a link to the card specs? I may need to point to it on nVidia as a competitor's comparable card that does not experience the error.

I've made a very subtle breakthrough on this issue. I've been able to replicate a Leaderhead-scene Render Error with a debugger attached and gotten an interesting message:

DXGI WARNING: IDXGISwapChain::present: Fullscreen presentation inefficiencies incurred due to application not using IDXGISwapChain::ResizeBuffers appropriately, specifying a DXGI_MODE_DESC not available in IDXGIOutput::GetDisplayModeList, or not using DXGI_SWAP_CHAIN_FLAG_ALLOW_MODE_SWITCH.DXGI_SWAP_CHAIN_DESC::BufferDesc = { 1920, 1080, { 60000, 1000 }, R8G8B8A8_UNORM, 0, 0 }; DXGI_SWAP_CHAIN_DESC::SampleDesc = { 1, 0 }; DXGI_SWAP_CHAIN_DESC::Flags = 0x2; [ MISCELLANEOUS WARNING #98: ]

I've never gotten this message in non-Leaderhead crashes, which suggests we may be dealing with two different types of Render Errors. This error message implies that some Leaderhead Render Errors can be mitigated by playing in Windowed mode. I remember reading in the longer Renderer Error thread someone reporting that Windowed mode temporarily helped them, so there is some credence for that.

Do not read this as a workaround. I do not believe all Leaderhead errors are caused by this. I know for certain not all Render Error are caused by Fullscreen as the majority I've reproduced I've done in Windowed mode. At best, playing in Windowed mode will generate fewer of them. But here's hoping someone on the nVidia forum has some insight on this and the problem at large. Also of interest, the debug message points the finger at Firaxis.

@Petek, good idea. It never hurts to ask.

Also, you posted your dxdiag put I'm unable to determine exactly what graphics card you have. Can you please post a link to the card specs? I may need to point to it on nVidia as a competitor's comparable card that does not experience the error.

The exact model is AMD Radeon HD 5870. The specs are given here (in the Specs tab). Hope that's enough information. Let me know if not.

Ok. Thanks for your update.

Glad they were able to resolve it for you.

Looks like I overshot my assumption on the last post. I have recorded about 3-4 Renderer errors but this is over a period of about 2 weeks.
However it certainly is no where near the problem it was, just a case of remembering to save occasionally.

Looks like I overshot my assumption on the last post. I have recorded about 3-4 Renderer errors but this is over a period of about 2 weeks.
However it certainly is no where near the problem it was, just a case of remembering to save occasionally.

I encourage you to go to the nVidia forum thread above and add your voice.

The GTX 750 shouldn't get any Render Errors. It's a powerful card that I expect nVidia to be pushing this holiday season, and if you let them know it's also experiencing this issue, they will be more inclined to resolve it

Hi
Since i updated my graphic card (HD7870) drivers (for CivBE), i experience some renderer error corruption (win 7 reset the cg driver, nedd to kill CiV and restart) on DX11.

it remind me my old pc:
1 driver for cs
1 driver for cod4
1 driver for lol

Boring to have to change the drivers each time i want to play a game.

Boring to have to change the drivers each time i want to play a game.

Be happy that you at least have a fix.

It's a real shame if this issue is present in the BE game. The silver lining is you would have a new basis from which to exert pressure on the developers to fix it.

I encourage you to report this issue on your graphics card vendor's forum.

Aprel,

(thought I'd join this party)

Do you have any evidence that supports anti-aliasing being on or off making a difference to the frequency of this problem?

I have a save game that reliably crashes with the renderer error immediately after loading, but - so far - plays fine if anti-aliasing is set as 'off' in game. It's the only thing I've changed - all other settings otherwise the same.

I'll also try your savegame and see how it behaves on my set-up with anti-aliasing on and off.

Happy to upload mine if you're interested - let me know.

Haven't reported my long-running DX11 renderer error problems to 2k yet, but will later today.

My config, FYI: http://pastebin.com/cufWc1WW (you can add the 8600 GTS to the list of nVidia cards affected)

I have solved the render error once and for all!!!!

I removed the graphic card and the program now runs on the standard PC graphics.
Sure the water doesn't look as good anymore but no crashing!!! Damn 5700 card. I will buy a new card that doesn't use nvideo.

I have nvidea and glitches come and go, but the GPU still works fine. If a GPU fails, and no one manufacturer is perfect, because they will fail, seeing as nothing last forever, you get another one and hope it does not fail, before one can get a fair amount of use for the amount of cost one incurs.

Aprel,

(thought I'd join this party)

Do you have any evidence that supports anti-aliasing being on or off making a difference to the frequency of this problem?

I have a save game that reliably crashes with the renderer error immediately after loading, but - so far - plays fine if anti-aliasing is set as 'off' in game. It's the only thing I've changed - all other settings otherwise the same.

I'll also try your savegame and see how it behaves on my set-up with anti-aliasing on and off.

Happy to upload mine if you're interested - let me know.

Haven't reported my long-running DX11 renderer error problems to 2k yet, but will later today.

My config, FYI: http://pastebin.com/cufWc1WW (you can add the 8600 GTS to the list of nVidia cards affected)

I haven't had time to play Civ in a while so haven't been working on this, but I've installed Windows 10 Preview over Windows 7 on the same PC that's had problems and hope to test if the fresh operating system install will make a difference.

As for anti-aliasing, the only evidence is anecdotal. If on your setup it makes a difference, then exploit it to reduce Renderer Error.

And yes, please upload a savegame that crashes on "Next Turn" if you have one.

My new PC has an nvidia card. I fired up Civ last night and played for a few hours without issue. Today though, I've experienced this error within a few minutes of loading my game.

I've turned off the GPU Texture Decode option. Checked the stability of my CPU and GPU, and ensured I have the latest drivers.

Frustrating.

Top Bottom