Clearing System Cache

Swargey

Penguin Warlord
Okay, so I don't have a whole lot of memory to begin with, around 360MB of RAM, and it says its low on memory since my system cache is 140k+ (and alot of programs use up the rest). I'm wondering what the heck system cache is, and how do I clear it so I can actually do stuff again...any help would be really appreciated.

Reboot, that should clear it up.

I've tried that, only lowers it about 30k...which still leaves me with not enough memory...because my computer is some kind fatty for memory. Seriously, my computer is to memory as super fat people are to chocolate cake :lol:

What OS? If you're running XP, that's just not enough RAM for decent performance.

What OS? If you're running XP, that's just not enough RAM for decent performance.

Yea its XP, but the computer is E-machines...because my parents are cheap. The computer only cost like 300 Dollars and that was a few years ago, its practically ancient tech by now.

Even if its ddr1 RAM, you can still buy another 512 megs pretty cheap ( maybe 20$ ). Even that much will make it run a lot faster.

XP really doesn't wanna run on less than a gig. that's your problem.

360MB of ram is an odd number. You have one 256MB unit and one 128? The above posters are right that you just need to increase your memory period.

You need to know a couple of things first. One, what type of memory your computer takes, and two, the maximum amount of memory your motherboard can handle (I'm going to guess 1GB but it could be 2). Knowing if you have 2 or 4 slots would be nice too.

The easiest thing to do would probably just use a memory configuration list, which you can find on most sites that sell memory. Newegg and Crucial have them. Just plug in your computer model number and it'll tell you what you can use. You can probably max out the motherboard capacity for relatively cheap. if it's old SDRAM, you can pull out the 128MB module and pop in a 512MB one for $40 or so, giving you 768MB which should be plenty. If you have more than two slots on your motherboard, you can just add it and have almost a gig.

If you have DDR memory, your configuration is screwed up. DDR emory works best when installed in matching pairs. In that case you can get 1GB (two 512MB) for under $35. If your motherboard supports it, 2GB is around $60.

360MB of ram is an odd number. You have one 256MB unit and one 128? The above posters are right that you just need to increase your memory period.

You need to know a couple of things first. One, what type of memory your computer takes, and two, the maximum amount of memory your motherboard can handle (I'm going to guess 1GB but it could be 2). Knowing if you have 2 or 4 slots would be nice too.

The easiest thing to do would probably just use a memory configuration list, which you can find on most sites that sell memory. Newegg and Crucial have them. Just plug in your computer model number and it'll tell you what you can use. You can probably max out the motherboard capacity for relatively cheap. if it's old SDRAM, you can pull out the 128MB module and pop in a 512MB one for $40 or so, giving you 768MB which should be plenty. If you have more than two slots on your motherboard, you can just add it and have almost a gig.

If you have DDR memory, your configuration is screwed up. DDR emory works best when installed in matching pairs. In that case you can get 1GB (two 512MB) for under $35. If your motherboard supports it, 2GB is around $60.

Actually I have exactly 384MB of RAM, I just gave a rough estimate then because I didn't want to go through control panel to system information at the time (because of laziness I suppose). How exactly would I find out how many slots I have for my computer? And if I did have enough for more, I would likely get the most possible so how would I install it?

I'm not good when it comes to installing computer parts, I'd be too afraid of messing up my computer =/

To find out how much memory your computer can support, its best to simply google the model. Ex: E-Machines 1234ABC maximum memory

That oughta tell you how much it can support, and very likely how many slots you have.

RAM is so cheap these days I got 4gigs for $90au
But if you must ! goto admin > services and disable useless components to free up memory and process. Disable themes, desktop, screensavers, set windows to performance. goto into msconfig.sys and disable useless startup items

FriendlyFire: you have to consider that DDR2 RAM is cheap. Other kinds are less so, although still quite affordable.

How exactly would I find out how many slots I have for my computer? And if I did have enough for more, I would likely get the most possible so how would I install it?

I'm not good when it comes to installing computer parts, I'd be too afraid of messing up my computer =/

Upgrading RAM is one of the easiest installs to make, so it's a great step for someone who's never messed around with the internals. As long as you get the right parts and install them properly, you're good to go, even easier than a hard drive install. So I'd say give it a shot.

The best way to find out what your system can support is to go to a site like newegg or crucial and use their lookup tool. If you go to Crucial.com it's right on the main page. It'll even point you to exactly what products work in your system.

I believe they have installation guides there too but installation is pretty easy. Once you have your case open, just look for the memory modules. There are two plastic clamps on each, on the ends, that you snap open, and the module should lift right out. Put in the new ones (they're impossible to install incorrectly, there is a notch on the module that lines up with a spot on the slot you install them in), and snap the clamps back in place. Restart your computer, check to make sure it recognizes the new memory, and you're done.

Just make sure you work in a clean, comfortable environment, and ground yourself on something metal before touching the internals (static electricity from even walking on carpets is unlikely to but can cause problems). While you're in there, you might want to invest in a can of compressed air and clean out all the dust, too.

Good luck. I'd suggest just upgrading to the max you possibly can, which I'm gonna guess is 1GB. But look up your system on crucial and tell us what it says about it. Or just post the model number.

Upgrading RAM is one of the easiest installs to make, so it's a great step for someone who's never messed around with the internals. As long as you get the right parts and install them properly, you're good to go, even easier than a hard drive install. So I'd say give it a shot.

The best way to find out what your system can support is to go to a site like newegg or crucial and use their lookup tool. If you go to Crucial.com it's right on the main page. It'll even point you to exactly what products work in your system.

I believe they have installation guides there too but installation is pretty easy. Once you have your case open, just look for the memory modules. There are two plastic clamps on each, on the ends, that you snap open, and the module should lift right out. Put in the new ones (they're impossible to install incorrectly, there is a notch on the module that lines up with a spot on the slot you install them in), and snap the clamps back in place. Restart your computer, check to make sure it recognizes the new memory, and you're done.

Just make sure you work in a clean, comfortable environment, and ground yourself on something metal before touching the internals (static electricity from even walking on carpets is unlikely to but can cause problems). While you're in there, you might want to invest in a can of compressed air and clean out all the dust, too.

Good luck. I'd suggest just upgrading to the max you possibly can, which I'm gonna guess is 1GB. But look up your system on crucial and tell us what it says about it. Or just post the model number.

Thanks for the quick rundown on how to install memory, though I'll probably still use a guide. After looking up my system on crucial it said the most I could get was 2GB of RAM, which was around $73 their price...which sucks. I'm curious as to whether or not buying and installing the most memory possible will make my computer run faster. I don't think it will, but maybe certain demanding programs will open faster?

Unfortunately also I don't have that kind of money, since I'd have to earn it myself and I have no source of income. I've located and nearly solved my computer problem, anyone know a quick fix for really cheap parents? ;)

You can probably get 1GB which would be fairly cheap(er) and will most likely be more than enough.

Adding RAM has always been considered the lowest cost option to speed up a PC

Thanks for the quick rundown on how to install memory, though I'll probably still use a guide.

That's the best idea, really. The gist is, it's really easy! I'm sure you can find an online guide with pictures pretty easily, and this stuff does come with basic instructions.

After looking up my system on crucial it said the most I could get was 2GB of RAM, which was around $73 their price...which sucks. I'm curious as to whether or not buying and installing the most memory possible will make my computer run faster. I don't think it will, but maybe certain demanding programs will open faster?

It will definitely, absolutely make everything you do faster. Absolutely. Unfortunately, with what you have you're bets off pulling and tossing what's already in there. Fortunately, you will see a noticeable difference even if you only upgrade to 1GB. That'll be cheaper, though not that much; it's probably most cost effective to just get 2GB because memory is pretty cheap, but you won't see as much of an improvement going from 1GB to 2GB as you will going from what you have now to 1GB. So I'd say if you can afford the 1GB upgrade (should be two 512MB modules), do that.

Thanks to everyone for helping me with my computer problems, it really helped me to understand what was wrong. Unfortunately when I asked my parents for the memory upgrade they wouldn't do it, seeing as they could care less about me not being able to do much on my computer. Oh well...

If 2GB is $73, I'd guess 1GB is somewhere around $40. Maybe scrounge and save up whatever money you can, you'll see a tremendous performance increase.

If 2GB is $73, I'd guess 1GB is somewhere around $40. Maybe scrounge and save up whatever money you can, you'll see a tremendous performance increase.

I have no money to spare at the moment, since I spent most of it extending my subscription to Xbox Live. Plus I don't want to have to go through all the trouble of getting a work permit (since I'm only 14) for a crappy job.

Maybe you all could pitch in and help?

Spoiler :
Just Kidding :p

Top Bottom