Raliuven SG2 Demi-God Aztecs

Okay, mid-set trading question;

Turn Log: (so far)
Spoiler :
Turn 0, 450AD; Lot of unmoved units, empire has changed lot since my last go at this game. Kill 4 LBs, no losses. I assume we are ICSing in the west since we have some odd settlers. We have some Ivory I'd love to sell to Maya, but unsure or trade route. Slider to 60%.

IBT; Musket on hill kills two LBs, promotes.

Turn 1, 460AD; Lots of things complete, switch to aqueducts, barracks, and Knights. We have some Cities sitting at size 6, each size 7 we get earns us 4gpt in upkeep. Go after Herakleia, lose one elite horse, kill two Hoplites, retreat some Acavs and a horse. Move in for the kill. Found Tultitlan in west. Spain is willing to negotiate! They want flat peace, I take it.

IBT; Elite Acav kill LB on defense.

Turn 2, 470AD; Destroy Temple of Herakleia with trebs. Elite Horse attacks and kill Vets Hoplite! That was their only defender? I could have sworn there were 2 left. Burn to ground, flip risk. Get 1 slave. Move on Buto. Found Ecatapec in West. Oh geez, that must be WW kicking in. I think I'll but a lux from Spain. Sell them Chem for Wines and 14g. Still have to bump slider to 30%.

IBT; Maya get banking. Can't afford it, and no one has as money except the Maya anyway. I see an Egyptian leader move into Kahun.

Turn 3, 480AD; At Buto, vet LB kills vet Hoplite, then lose 2 vet knights and a vet Acav to a regular Hoplite, then take city with knight. Attack force decimated, but I have torn out their frontline cities. No new LBs have appeared, must be busy with Egypt and France.

IBT; Some greek boats move about, 1 LB appears.

Turn 4, 490AD; Consolidation, building more knights. Steal two greek slaves from the idiot AI who exposed them. Not al ot else.

IBT; Greece and Maya sign against Iros. Spanish are building Magellans, so they have Nav. Greece and Maya seem to have it as well. Damnit! There goes trading. I'll have to extort from greece for peace. Oh wait, we get Metal in 1!

Turn 5, 500AD; not a lot, build a few more knights. Waiting for Metal to trade up. Slider to 50%.

IBT; Get Metal-->MT in 8 @ -28gpt, 85 in bank. SoZ obsoletes. Palace expansion.

Turn 6, 510AD; Trade questions to consult on.

I can trade away Metallurgy (just got it), for banking, nav, and clean out the Maya's nice large treasury, and everyone else's except greece. In a military game I probably would not trade it though, to deny the AI cavs for as long as possible. I wondering about what to do.

I am tempted to hoard it for as long as possible, and only trade it when the AI is probably close to getting it or one has gotten it, on the other hand, we can really improve out economic position by trading it, and afford to upgrade some horses to knights. We are so behind in military, this would be nice, but we would be giving the AI a leg up to being even more ahead of us.

We'll probably get MilTrad in another 9-10 turns (8 if we get a cash influx) if that makes a big difference. I attached the save so you guys can have a look.

Attachments

• RaliuvenSG2 510AD.SAV
    264.2 KB · Views: 65
I'm inclined to take the trade now. With navigation we don't have to worry about trade routes being broken by unexpected war declarations. We could use the cash, and the AI having cavalry isn't as big a deal as us having cavalry. Plus, France and Greece don't have horses, right?

I agree. At best we are keeping the AI behind us by 10 turns on the way to Cavs if they really want it. We can always withhold the MT trade if we want to. Making the trade to get current on techs and to pick up some gold for rushing some knights and upping the research slider sound like a good idea to me. IIRC, Egypt has horses but no salt, France and Greece both have no horses. At least on our continent, we should be king of the hill.

The exception is the land to our west - I don't know that've inspected it close for resources. It has gems, but there may be a horse or something hidden in there. I don't recall?? As roads start to connect it might be something worth investigating.

Downside is that at this tech pace our cavs will probably be facing rifles soon.

Additional upside (I'm a man of many sides), Metal also expires the GW. :)

**Edit** Something I may not have mentioned clearly in my log - Japan came up with Chem on their own after 2-3 turns, so they may be right on our tail. They didn't have much to trade for it so I turned them down (7gpt, 53gp IIRC) and they had it pretty soon thereafter. I assumed they had researched it. No doubt they got a bonus to their research time after I traded it around, but something to consider.

Okay. made the trade and got lots of money, then squandered a bunch of it. :)

Turn Log: (complete)
Spoiler :
Turn 0, 450AD; Lot of unmoved units, empire has changed lot since my last go at this game. Kill 4 LBs, no losses. I assume we are ICSing in the west since we have some odd settlers. We have some Ivory I'd love to sell to Maya, but unsure or trade route. Slider to 60%.

IBT; Musket on hill kills two LBs, promotes.

Turn 1, 460AD; Lots of things complete, switch to aqueducts, barracks, and Knights. We have some Cities sitting at size 6, each size 7 we get earns us 4gpt in upkeep. Go after Herakleia, lose one elite horse, kill two Hoplites, retreat some Acavs and a horse. Move in for the kill. Found Tultitlan in west. Spain is willing to negotiate! They want flat peace, I take it.

IBT; Elite Acav kill LB on defense.

Turn 2, 470AD; Destroy Temple of Herakleia with trebs. Elite Horse attacks and kill Vets Hoplite! That was their only defender? I could have sworn there were 2 left. Burn to ground, flip risk. Get 1 slave. Move on Buto. Found Ecatapec in West. Oh geez, that must be WW kicking in. I think I'll but a lux from Spain. Sell them Chem for Wines and 14g. Still have to bump slider to 30%.

IBT; Maya get banking. Can't afford it, and no one has as money except the Maya anyway. I see an Egyptian leader move into Kahun.

Turn 3, 480AD; At Buto, vet LB kills vet Hoplite, then lose 2 vet knights and a vet Acav to a regular Hoplite, then take city with knight. Attack force decimated, but I have torn out their frontline cities. No new LBs have appeared, must be busy with Egypt and France.

IBT; Some greek boats move about, 1 LB appears.

Turn 4, 490AD; Consolidation, building more knights. Steal two greek slaves from the idiot AI who exposed them. Not al ot else.

IBT; Greece and Maya sign against Iros. Spanish are building Magellans, so they have Nav. Greece and Maya seem to have it as well. Damnit! There goes trading. I'll have to extort from greece for peace. Oh wait, we get Metal in 1!

Turn 5, 500AD; not a lot, build a few more knights. Waiting for Metal to trade up. Slider to 50%.

IBT; Get Metal-->MT in 8 @ -28gpt, 85 in bank. SoZ obsoletes. Palace expansion. 4 Greek LBs appear.

Turn 6, 510AD; Trade questions to consult on.

Trade away metal for Navigation, Banking, WM, 11gpt, 11g from Spain; Silks, spices, wm, 9gpt, 26g from Japan; WM, 10gpt, 1047g from Maya; No one else has money.

Some units move to intercept a few new LBs. Upgrade some units. Sliders to 80% sci / 20% lux, MilTrad in 7. 700 gold, +2 per turn.

IBT; Spain and Greece sign vs Iroquois.

Turn 7, 520AD; Bombard two LBs outside Jiloz-whatever. Kill both with Horse and Acav. Upgrade a bunch of trebs, and horses.

IBT; Greece unloads archer near texcoco.

Turn 8, 530AD; Kill maurading archer by Texcoco with Horse. Fail at bombarding LB near Jiloz, Kill with Knight. Move 7 units towards Thessalonica.

IBT; Watch Greek Galley get killed.

Turn 9, 540AD; At Thessalonica, lose elite horse, kill elite Hoplite, Lose elite Acav, Retreat elite Acav, Kill elite Hoplite, Kill regular Hoplite, Burn city, get 5 (!) slaves.

IBT; Japan and Maya Sign vs Iros. Everyone hates them. Acav kills LB on defense.

Turn 10, 550AD; Kill redlined Hoplite in west. They are really busy with the other civs. Move up a bunch of new knights.

Next player gets cavs :cool:, We might want to shut off research for a little while after that to upgrade and rush some infrastructure, we need to be able to tech faster in the IA. We can complete our MA techs with pointy stick, Greece alone ought to give us some techs for peace, assuming they have any. Those little colonies to the west of us are good for pointy stick as well.

Basic military situation is much improved from the start of my set, we have burned three greek border cities and killed off tons of LBs :hammer:. We are mostly fighting with knight now rather than Horses. Soon it will be cavs.

Military fronts around the world are pretty stable, it is everyone on our continent vs Greece, and everyone on the other one vs Iroquois.

We can trade away banking and nav for some money, I'll leave that up to the next player. We are importing a bunch of Luxes, so watch out for those ending.

EDIT; Next player might want to try out using an explorer to cut off Greece's Saltpeter if we are going to keep fighting them for a while. They only have one I think. Same for their luxes. And build some settler to take the land I freed up!

Attachments

• RaliuvenSG2 550AD.SAV
    261.6 KB · Views: 49
Nice work, creamcheese!

Got it, I'll post strategy thoughts (and probably play) tomorrow night. For now, it's sleepy time!

WM, 10gpt, 1047g from Maya

How nice of them to hold our money for us. That's excellent! :goodjob:

I'm done with my set.

Spoiler :

Pre-turn:

We have a Curragh in Chiconautla -- I'll disband that next turn.

There are two Horsemen near Tenoch; I'll upgrade them as soon as we can afford it.

We can get 321 gold (plus some gpt, probably) if we sell Banking al around. That'll fund research and a couple of upgrades.

Change Jilotzingo to Court
Change Tepexpan to 'duct (it'll grow in 7 turns, and the Court build is 9 turns away)
Change Chiconautla to 'duct

Selling Banking:
Hiawatha gives us WM, 18gpt, and 221 gold
Tokugawa gives us WM and 79 gold
Cleo gives us WM and 7 gold
Joan gives us WM and 14 gold

MM cities.
Tenoch can get 4-turn Cavs by working both forests (or by growing to size 12).

Income goes from 601 to 630, including 18gpt from the Iroquois. Net: +5gpt, MT still due in 3.

Upgrade one Horseman to Knight in Tenoch (from the quick-response force by the capital)

IBT:

Spain wants to talk. They want a RoP and Alliance vs. the Iroquois. Silly Isabella.

Tepexpan: 'duct > Court
Tultitlan: Workers

Turn 1 (560 AD):

Disband Curragh.

IBT:

France and Maya sign MA vs. Iro
Japan offers a map swap. We give territory map for WM and 3 gold (all they have).
Iro want alliance vs. the Maya and a RoP! Yeah, right, as if we want to break the deal where they're giving us 10gpt for 15 more turns!

Ecatepec: Walls > Worker

Turn 2 (570 AD):

Science to 50%; MT in 1
Move workers. I need to restack them for greater efficiency.

IBT:

Military Tradition > Physics

Chalco: Settler > Duct

Turn 3 (580 AD):

Forces are mustering outside Argos...
Sci slider to 30%; Physics in 17 at +177 gpt. That will give us some coin to finish upgrading Knights to Cavs.
Change Texcoco to Marketplace -- we'll need it to avoid riots soon.

IBT:

Greece LB suicides vs. Knight, who promotes.
Tenoch: Cavs
Calix: Cavs
Atzcapotzalco: Mkt > Barracks
Cuello: Settler > Court

Turn 4 (590 AD):

Temple and Lib of Argos destroyed by cannon fire.
Spain and Maya have Democracy.

IBT:

Tlacopan: Court > Cav
Tula: Harbor > Mkt
Tlapanaloya: Lib > Court

Turn 5 (600 AD):

Bombardment ineffective at Argos.
Coatapec founded NW of Coyotepec, in the ruins of Buto. Making Settler.

Science to 60%; Physics in 8 at +79gpt.

Xochicalco: Harbor > Mkt
Palace expansion. We get an east wing.

Turn 6 (610 AD):

Battle of Argos:
Cannons miss. The second one gets the 'hit' animation, but then it plays the 'miss' animation :confused:
LB kills rMusket
eKnight kills rMusket and razes the city.

Move quite a few Workers.

IBT:

Atzcapo: Barracks > Cav
Tzin: Court > Cav
Malinalco: Cavs
Tequixquiac: Settlers

Furs deal ends.

Turn 7 (620 AD):

Trade Ivory + 7gpt for a new supply of Furs.

Battle of Rhodes:
Lose a Cav to a vMusket
Cav kills rMusket, promotes
Lose a Cav while redlining rMusket
Cav kills wounded vMusket
Cav kills redlined rMusket and takes the city!
This one we keep.

Chalchihuites founded NW of Tamuin. Making Court.
Change Chalco to Settler.

IBT:

Japan and Iroquois sign peace.
Egypt cancels the Iron for Ivory deal.

Tenoch: Cavs
Rhodes riots (two resisters quelled).
Tlalmanalco: Cavs
Ixtapaluca: Cannon > Settler

Turn 8 (630 AD):

Chiauhtia founded near the Flood Plain valley to the west.

Cancel our MAs vs. Greece. As the Greek military stumbles, there's no need to encourage France or Egypt to make their own gains before we can take, say, Sparta or Pharsalos :)

IBT:

Iro and France sign peace.
Teoti: Court > Harbor
Tlaxcala: Cavs
Tamuin: Court > Cav

Turn 9 (640 AD):

Worker moves...

IBT:

Greece kills aCav at Knossos.
Chiconautla: Duct > Court
Cempoala: Harbor > Settler
Huexotla: Cannon > Settler

Japanese start Magellan's

Turn 10 (650 AD):

Move troops. We have stacks in place to attack Knossos and Eretria next turn. We can also learn Physics at 0% science because of the scientists we have working.

We should probably move a few more Cavs to our border with Egypt to avoid losing cities if they attack us.

Well, this is a nice turn-around from the mess I left you guys.

I probably can't play until Monday; if the weekend is good for you, Raliuven, go ahead and play.

Well, this is a nice turn-around from the mess I left you guys.

I probably can't play until Monday; if the weekend is good for you, Raliuven, go ahead and play.

I really should finish GOTM 116 (don't know if I'll be able to get it done in time to submit). :mischief:

But I will review and see where I'm at tonight. I'll check back and post a got it if I can pick it up.

I have to say that was a really fun round of turns to play and read. Everything seemed to come together very well!

re: GA - I've always gone with the sooner the better. Our GA should put the final nail in the tech race coffin. Once the AI get's lost searching for Fascism we'll have the tech lead for the remainder of the game after the GA boost.

If we wait until after we have universities built in our core we could make a tech killing. Of course a GA would really help to get universities up and running. :crazyeye:

On the war side, triggering our GA soon would give us more units to put an end to this continental war once and for all.

On the war side, I think the current crop of Cavs can probably finish off Greece with modest reinforcements. We really just need some garrison troops to follow along and pacify the cities we take, plus Settlers to fill in all that yummy science-farm space ;)

How about finishing off the Greek core (Egypt is in the way for Greece's southern province), building Newton's in our FP city, Unis in all the core cities, then kicking off our GA once we have Newton's and a dozen Unis complete?

Alternatively, we could wait until we have ToG, then kick off the GA to help build Newton's and the Unis. I'm not really sure which option is best.

I'd say get some infrastructure up before GA, then we can nab some of those early IA techs that are so crucial to victory. We can probably manage the ToE-->Hoover's thing as well. Golden age into factories can be a very powerful combination, effectively extending your GA and giving you an industrial powerhouse.

Once Greece is gone we should go hardcore infrastructure+farms (maybe a few pointy stick minor wars), then when we have infantry and artillery we can clear our continent and finish the farms we will need for the final tech push to Space.

I was thinking that we'd cut Greece down to a client kingdom, then restack Cavs and declare on Egypt a couple of turns later. If we keep Cav production up, I don't think we have any need to wait for infantry or artillery to clear the continent. We'll really only need them if we get bogged down.

I was thinking that we'd cut Greece down to a client kingdom, then restack Cavs and declare on Egypt a couple of turns later. If we keep Cav production up, I don't think we have any need to wait for infantry or artillery to clear the continent. We'll really only need them if we get bogged down.

Possibly, We'll have to see how we are doing by then, I am naturally pretty cautious about these things. Isn't it France that doesn't have horses? They might be a better target. Or were you thinking to kill off Egypt before they can get a bunch of cav?

Well, Egypt is in the way to take Greece's southern province, so I was thinking we declare on them, take those blocking cities, and finish taking out Greece. At that point, we're already at war with Egypt, so we might as well finish the job. After that, France will be a cinch.

I was just thinking that France would be easier and thus we'd get more science farms up faster, but there is something to be said for going Egypt first. The not-letting-them-get-cavs thing might be important, I do so hate having to defend 3 deep.

Top Bottom