Your 'personal' rules.txt

Starke Von Oben

Chieftain
Do you customize your rules.txt?

Do you remove certain units?

Do you add certain units?

Do you add certain attributes to certain units?

Do you modify any of the governments?

Post any modifications you've made to your rules.txt

Currently I'm toying with the idea of allowing caravans to ignore ZOC, and removing the elephant and making the horseman a little more powerful... not sure how it will balance out just yet.

I always changed the attributes of some units and activated the 3 units hidden.
Also I changed the costs of the wonders, but you need to be cautios with that,
else your enemies will get them first.

I usually enlarge the gap between ancient and modern units.
There's just no way in hell that a musketeer, even a veteran behind city walls, can ever defend against an armor.
Typically, I add 5-10 extra points of attack and 2-3 points of defense to units past the industrialization/combustion era, sometimes also giving them more movement points. It kind of makes sense that armors should treat all squares as roads, they were designed for that.
I also mess with hit points and firepower, to avoid situations like veteran catapults or crusaders destroying my mechanized infantry.

My favorite though, would have to be base time for engineers to transform terrain. I switch that from 20 to 2. Finally lets my engineers show what they're made for.

Hello Starke von Oben, it's been a while since my last visit to this Forum but I'm glad to see more players like to tinker with their .txt and .gif files!

Here's what I did to the rules.txt file (and modified my units.gif file to suit) :

1. The cost of city improvements is now in multiples of 40; this is because 40 is divisible by 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 10, 14, 15...

2. The cost of military units is now in multiples of 20; except for plain warriors (10) phalanx and pikemen cost 20, horsemen 20, musketeers cost 30, all other mounted cost 40 (60 for modern cavalry, 80 for all armor)

3. The cost of ships is 40, from trireme through caravel/galleon/ to frigate; ironnclad is 60, all others increase by 20 every tech improvement.

4. Movement and ZOC: caravans/trucks ignore ZOC; diplomats, explorers and spy are all in the same "ignore ZOC + diplomat" regimen, all cost 30, the real difference being movement (diplomat move 2, explorer move 3, spy move 3x road i.e. forever)

5. I have invented the following units: extra land = minefields (req. explosives, cost 20, move 1); extra sea = seamines (req. explosives, cost 20, move 1); extra air = hot air balloon (rep. physics, cost 40, carry 1, move 3, ignore ZOC)
At which point, if you flag not only paratroops but settlers/engineers as air transportable, you can airlift settlers to colonize that sweet spot the AI enemy ships are blocking, and disband the baloon to create a instant phalanx/pikemen for immediate defense :)

6. For all my efforts, there is no way I can shoot with land artillery against a ship hugging the coastline, so I am experimenting with a military unit called "coastal fortress" so I can not only defend my harbor (there is a city improvement by that name) but also "shoot first"; now a coastal fortress is fixed, but if you don't allow at elast "1 square move" you can't shoot at enemy ships; the problem is the AI is likely to create coastal fortresses and send them off to sea... :rolleyes:

7. On the other hand, I find it absurd that a seagoing vessel may attack a land unit (i.e. trireme vs. horsemen), not kill it and be sunk by failure... :rolleyes:

8. I have edited the cost of some Wonders, mostly NOT making some obsolete through time but keeping them forever (i.e. Pyramids, if they're silos for grain, they're there forever; same for the Oracle or the Hanging Gardens)

9. I do not enjoy playing with the most recent technologies, so I have not tinkered with electronics/laser etc.; however I do believe that the "Manhattan Project" was engineered in the wrong way, i.e. the one to complete such a wonder should become the ONLY nuclear superpower in the game, rather than giving away the secrets of nuclear weapons for all to use!!!

10. After Temples the Coliseum and the Cathedral, no more entertainment city improvements? Discotheque, anyone? Golf courses, baseball diamonds, theme parks? Disneyland???
:)

I'm going by memory so I may have forgotten something :cool:

How do you make a baloon able to to carry units??? I tried many times but failed....

Can you show the whole informations of this unit?

Thanks!

How do you make a baloon able to to carry units??? I tried many times but failed....

Can you show the whole informations of this unit?

Thanks!

lol, seems that inventor of hot air balloon is not even aware that his creation contain some flaws hope he's not burning it after more thorough inquiry, but I like the idea of seamines though.:)

Do you remove certain units?

Howitzer maybe.

Do you add certain units?

Nope.

Do you add certain attributes to certain units?

Nope.

Do you modify any of the governments?

Not really.

Post any modifications you've made to your rules.txt[/B]

As far as I know once the Manhattan Project has been done anyone can Nuke. It's a Wonder I believe the particular civ has to build to launch Nuke.

I'd like a Hanging Garden that didn't expire. Though you had to keep Wonders at 7 per age. ;)

> Do you customize your rules.txt?

I do.

> Do you remove certain units?

No.

> Do you add certain units?

Yes, but only for the purpose of making the tedious final stage of the game go faster.

> Do you add certain attributes to certain units?

I just did it for the first time: for the new game I am going to start, I changed the cost of some units.

> Do you modify any of the governments?

No.

Settlers and engineers ignore zones of control.

Wine, buffalo, and ivory get two food.

Explorers get two movement.

Riflemen are made obsolete by Alpine Troops (this is only so the opponent will stop building them...)

My biggest changes are to city names - I build so many I've added every African country (I always play the Zulus), plus after the Naples list of cities I add A to Z and 1 to 50.

Sincce quite some time now I like to play the standard set for the sake of it. But when I modded that way, I did the following:

- the ancient and early units were heavely inspired by the scenarios: "the great kesh" and "ultima online".

- I also "reversed" the system of attacking cannons and defending rifles like in the Civil War scenario.

- I had the idea of making Adam Smith an Luftwaffe wonder by having only airports and missile stations having cost 1 gold

- as others have mentioned I activated the extra-units and plumbing

- I also experimented with having only armored units having movement rate 2 and the pikeman flag was used to differentiate modern units.

- The Marine would have the road movement multiplier set.

- I used the Fascism patch with the Sturmtruppen.

And more stuff I cannot remember any more.

If I would do it again, I would heavely think about city improvement costs, making the old stuff cheaper, but this maybe would also come with a lot of changes in the terrain yield section.

Top Bottom