Video greed

jeroir

Chieftain
After installing Civ 5 on my new laptop I was unhappy with the video resolution in the game. Being a greedy guy, I went with the highest possible resolution and started the game. The intro movie went fine, but when I got to the "click to continue" screen it locked up and refused mouse input.

I can't get in to the game to downgrade the video settings. I tried to uninstall/reinstall, but the problem persists. Anyone have any ideas?

Go to Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5

Delete your config files (they'll be recreated from default the next time you start the game).

config.ini
GraphicsSettingsDX9.ini
GraphicsSettingsDX11.ini
UserSettings.ini

Might not be necessary to delete all of them, but doesn't matter since you've just started playing the game and have no custom settings you care about preserving.

Go to Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5

Delete your config files (they'll be recreated from default the next time you start the game).

config.ini
GraphicsSettingsDX9.ini
GraphicsSettingsDX11.ini
UserSettings.ini

Might not be necessary to delete all of them, but doesn't matter since you've just started playing the game and have no custom settings you care about preserving.

Thank you for the response. I deleted all the files and it didn't help - after viewing the GraphicsSettingsDX11.ini I was able to edit it to get the game to at least start. However, the only settings I can figure out to make it launch are 1280x768 in a window. I have a Radeon R9 M275 GPU and I think I should be able to do much better than that - any suggestions as to the best settings this adapter can support?

Thanks,

Jeroir

The game normally defaults to the recommended settings for the GPU. It may be possible to try moving up to the next one, but go one at a time to get to one you are comfortable with.

So, I deleted all the config files, uninstalled/reinstalled, and the game tried to come up in 1920 x 1080 fullscreen mode and it failed with the dreaded Renderer etc. error. Please help!

Do you have anything else besides steam and civ5 running in the background? I tried to run another GPU intensive program and it caused a renderer error in steam itself and my screen went to black.

So, I deleted all the config files, uninstalled/reinstalled, and the game tried to come up in 1920 x 1080 fullscreen mode and it failed with the dreaded Renderer etc. error. Please help!

Have you tried loading DirectX9? Or DirectX11? (Whichever one you haven't tried)

Top Bottom