Pitboss Internet Game Switching to LAN + Player Slot goes to AI

capsocrates

Chieftain
I want to host a Pitboss Dedicated Server on my desktop computer. I want to play in that Pitboss game from the same network in my house while my friends play in that same Pitboss game online across the US.

I followed the Pitboss instructions here.
http://forums.2k.com/showthread.php?272271-Pitboss-Instructions

I am not 100% certain I have the port setup correctly, but that doesn't seem to be the issue (see below).

My buddies are Cous, Wing, and Bacon. For our initial start to the game, Wing came over to my place because his internet was out. Cous and Bacon live in other states so they were connecting over the internet.

I hosted a Pitboss game using the Dedicated Server from the SDK. (At this point I want to note a flaw in the design of the Dedicated Server--as far as I can tell, there is no way to know for sure whether you are hosting a LAN or Internet game, nor how to switch from within the Dedicated Server itself. Am I missing something?)

After many tries we figured out this sequence of events:

1) I host the game on the desktop
2) the game is visible in the Internet Pitboss lobby
3) any number of players connect to the game in a span of a few seconds
4) after that span passes, the game is no longer visible in the Internet Pitboss lobby, but it appears in the Network Pitboss lobby for myself and Wing. Attempts to connect directly via public IP are unsuccessful.

At this point we figured out that Cous and Bacon could join at the same time via the Internet lobby, then Wing and I could join via the Network lobby. Doing this, we were able to start a game and play 10-30 turns or so.

After that, Wing's game started slowing down--not lagging, just the game itself started being really unresponsive. I suspect this issue was unrelated, but I'm not certain. Anyway, he had to restart Civ 5. When he came back, he kept getting a Runtime Error and crash when he tried to join the game again. We did some troubleshooting until he was able to join the game again. By that time, Cous had gone to bed and Bacon had left to play Single-player. Wing had no trouble joining via the Network lobby but of course, Bacon could not see the game (see item #4 above) in the Internet lobby. This is obviously a huge issue for a Pitboss game.

Before I went to bed I closed the Dedicated Server and started a regular Civ 5 instance on the Desktop computer, loading the saved game from our earlier Pitboss game. I left it running in hopes it would not have the same problem as the Dedicated Server. Of course, since I have to be signed in to Steam to play online, I have no way of testing it from home. However, today, none of the other three players could see the game in the Internet lobby when they tried to join to take their turn.

--

I also have one other (separate?) issue. When I rehosted the savegame, the slot for Cous had been switched to an AI slot. I read about some possible fixes for this, but haven't been able to try any yet since they have not been able to rejoin the game.

Cross-posted to the Steam Community here. I have been trying to cross-post to 2K's forums as well, but the site keeps giving me "timed out" and "The requested URL was not found on this server" messages. Noting this here in case we are able to solve it and someone else finds this thread.

Top Bottom