Assassins Mod

LyTning94

Dragonborn
I have recently started working on a mod which adds the following new units to the game: Assassin, General, and Diplomat. It also changes a few things about Spies and adds governors to the game (though they are not units). Here is a basic outline of what each unit does:

Spoiler :

Assassin
Can Assassinate Units: Each unit has a base chance of thwarting an assassination attempt. This base chance is modified by the Assassin's promotions.
Receives Experience with Every Succesful Assassination: The Assassin can then receive promotions (unique to assassins) when it reaches the required experience level.
Is Revealed upon Completing or Failing a Mission: When revealed, the Assassin is visible to all spies, assassins, and any units in the same tile as a spy or assassin. The assassin can then be killed by any of these units (not including the spy or assassin). The assassin becomes unrevealed when he moves out of sight of the tile where he was revealed, or after five turns.
Hidden Nationality Unless Killed: When killed, the assassin's nationality is revealed and you suffer a -4 relations hit with the leader of the unit you were trying to assassinate.

Diplomat
Improves Relations when in Capital: Receive a +2 relations boost with a leader, when you have a diplomat in their capital. (when there is no diplomat, you will suffer a -1 relations hit).
Cannot be Attacked
Ignores Border Rules: Can enter borders regardless of open borders or war
Can be Assassinated: 10% base chance of thwarting the attempt. Can hire bodyguard to raise this chance.
Can Hire Bodyguard: Pay 1:gold:/turn for +25% chance of thwarting, 2:gold:/turn for +40% chance, or 3:gold:/turn for +50% chance.
Can Use Unit as Bodyguard: Instead of hiring a bodyguard, you can also use a unit in the same tile. If the unit is in the current era, receive a +40% chance of thwarting. For each era previous, subtract 10%.
Cannot Hire and Use a Unit as a Bodyguard Simultaneously

General
Gives Units Expericence: Can attach to units like a great general, but can also detach. Instead of giving a total number of experience to the tile, and thus spreading the promotions out, a general gives the total number of experience to each unit. The units can use these promotion when attacking from or defending in the tile that contains the general.
Gains Levels when Victorious in Battle: As the general advances levels, he gives the units more experience. When a general reaches level 10, he becomes a great general.
Can be Killed with Units: When a unit is killed, the general has a chance of death equal to 1/(the number of units in the tile).
Can Only be Built in Capital
Can be Assassinated: 20% base chance of thwarting the attempt
Can Hire Bodyguard or Use Unit as Bodyguard: See above.

Governor (Not a Unit)
Rules City. Appears when city is founded. One per city.
Can be Assassinated: 15% base chance of thwarting the attempt.
Can hire bodyguard or use unit as bodyguard: See above
Causes Anarchy when Assassinated: When assassinated, produces anarchy in the governor's city for one turn. Following the anarchy, a new governor appears.
The King: The governor of the capital or the king (the actual title varies depending on your government civic) causes anarchy in the entire civilization for one turn when assassinated. The king has a 25% base chance of thwarting assassination.

Changes Made to Spies
Is Revealed upon Completing or Failing a Mission: When revealed, the spy is visible to all assassins, spies, and all units in the same tile as an assassin or spy. It can then be killed or assassinated. Stays revealed until it moves out of sight of the tile where it was revealed or after five turns.
Does Not Return to Capital upon Completing a Mission
Is Not Automatically Killed upon Failling a Mission: Instead, the spy is revealed.
Hidden Nationality Unless Killed: When killed, suffer a -2 relations hit with the leader against who you were trying to perform a mission.
Can be Assassinated: 20% chance of thwarting assassination.
Can Hire Bodyguard or Use Unit as Bodyguard: See above. When a spy has a bodyguard, however, it becomes revealed.
Can Search Tile for Assassin/Spy: Can spend a turn searching the tile for an assassin/spy. Has a 50% base chance of success (cumulative with multiple spies), but suffers a -5% chance for each unit in the tile or population point if in a city (also cumulative).
Removes the Kill Spy Mission

Does anyone have any thoughts/opinions on what I have already or suggestions on how to improve it?

EDIT: I am no longer working on this mod, but you can download what I did complete from here.

1 turn of anarchy is way to low and not really worth the investment.

My own take on governors is that they are named and have attributes that affect things like what they prefer to build, what sort of work they tend to assign the citizens to, how well they manage the city (bonuses/penalties to production/output) and how corrupt they are (increased maintenance).

You would basically not have all the values visible once you hire a governor - and firing one can prove precarious. Because he might just declare the city as his own personal fiefdom... But you would also be able to move useful governors to other, more important cities.

I also plan on getting rid of some of the micro-management of cities by simply having the governors do much of the decision making for you. Different civics would give you - the player/head of state - more/less direct control over cities however. Early on you'd only be able to control your capital though, making it doubtful if you even want a second city before you have a more advanced government in place... :rolleyes:

1 turn of anarchy is way to low and not really worth the investment.

I know...I was planning on 2 or 3 turns, but it seemed rather unrealistic when switching civics or religions is only 1.

My own take on governors is that they are named and have attributes that affect things like what they prefer to build, what sort of work they tend to assign the citizens to, how well they manage the city (bonuses/penalties to production/output) and how corrupt they are (increased maintenance).

You would basically not have all the values visible once you hire a governor - and firing one can prove precarious. Because he might just declare the city as his own personal fiefdom... But you would also be able to move useful governors to other, more important cities.

I also plan on getting rid of some of the micro-management of cities by simply having the governors do much of the decision making for you. Different civics would give you - the player/head of state - more/less direct control over cities however. Early on you'd only be able to control your capital though, making it doubtful if you even want a second city before you have a more advanced government in place... :rolleyes:

Some of this would be interesting, but I don't want to mess with it (at least not right now). Maybe when I get the rest of it finished I could look into making a more advanced governor.

Another Question:
When will you release this?
I need it for a mod...

I just started working on it a couple of weeks ago, and since I am relatively new to modding I don't work as fast as some :D. I am close to completing the diplomat unit, which is my first one. As for the entire mod...I'm not sure. It will probably be a couple months at least. The whole assassination concept will most likely take a lot of SDK work, and I haven't even looked into how to do it yet. When I get it done, I'll let you know. :)

What parts do you need? If you only need one or two units it might be sooner than that. Also, I'm curious...what do you need it for?

I just started working on it a couple of weeks ago, and since I am relatively new to modding I don't work as fast as some :D. I am close to completing the diplomat unit, which is my first one.

I don't care when, as long as it is done.

As for the entire mod...I'm not sure. It will probably be a couple months at least. The whole assassination concept will most likely take a lot of SDK work, and I haven't even looked into how to do it yet. When I get it done, I'll let you know. :)

Thanks! :woohoo:

What parts do you need? If you only need one or two units it might be sooner than that. Also, I'm curious...what do you need it for?

I need all of them for my "Rome: Total War" Mod! :hammer: :aargh: :mwaha:

:lol:

I had a simmlar idea for my Jamie's Medieval mod, So I await this is anticipation! (I wanted to add an assassin at least, with the ability to kill certain units...)

I do have a VERY small preliminary idea for a python assassination... involving a bool statement stating whether the player wants the unit to kill something and use the

VOID kill (BOOL bDelay, PlayerType ePlayer)
void (bool bDelay, int /*PlayerTypes*/ ePlayer)

to... Kill them....

Good Luck!!!

how is it going? I am thinking of using python buttons and stuff to attempt it to soon..

I would be interested in porting this to a mod once it's done. Great ideas. :goodjob:

I apologize for not replying sooner to J_mie6. Apparently I missed your post. Sorry.

The going is slow, much slower than I anticipated. As it is, I'm not even done with the Diplomat unit yet, which was my first unit. I have had numerous unforseen problems, which have slowed me down a lot. I am also working on another project right now, so I only have so much time to work on this one.

Since my last estimate of a few months was almost two and a half months ago, and I am nowhere close to completion, I'm not going to attempt to come up with another estimate. Hopefully it will get faster as I move on, since I am really still learning how to do things, and the remaining units will not take near as long. Then again, unforseen problems will doubtless be an issue with the other units as well.

I apologize for underestimating the time it is taking, and I will try and keep this thread updated with where I'm at in the future.

...Numerous unforseen problems...
They always happen, without fail :(
Even if you're adding just one feature, you can count on them! :lol:

They always happen, without fail :(
Even if you're adding just one feature, you can count on them! :lol:

So I've discovered. I'm hoping as I get more familiar with the SDK and learn how to do more things, they will become less frequent.

Due to a lack of time and interest, I am afraid I am no longer going to continue working on this mod. :(

I nearly completed the Diplomat unit; the only thing remaining to do is fix some problems I'm having with the AI. If it will be of any use to anyone, I can upload the source code.

Top Bottom