Worst Civ?

My experience is that gifting has very little impact on AI relations and is next to worthless and might even lead them to think you're weak. Without fail I've always got a positive reputation bounce from giving if asked though, as if the AI is simply testing your hostility levels. They wont ever demand every tech, just one every now and then, which makes little difference if you're 10 techs ahead.

Portugal is a weird one indeed. I tried them once or twice on an Archipelago and they were ok. Just ok though. The main problem was that they were just... too boring. I couldn't be bothered to finish any of the games. I can't really explain it, just boring.

Getting early techs free from exploring is all well and good, but for the rest of the game it feels like a boring slog. Having said that, whenever they're on a map being played by the AI they always seem to be one of the top 5 Civs, hence why I tried them a few times. :dunno:

I love starting next to the Portuguese. Providing that they don't swarm you within the first 15 or 20 turns, they usually are sitting ducks and make a good target for early conquest. In my experience, the AI is rarely effective with them. I can remember only one game in which the AI Portuguese became my most powerful rival.

You are absolutely right, I've never seen them be the most powerful rival. Just top 5... ;)

Can you post the start save? Even on Pangea Seafaring should be strong, because two early 3-movement curraghs will give you many early contacts.

PS: I want to add one reason why I think that Portugal definitely is not the "worst" Civ: it is one of the few Civs that start with the "perfect" combination of starting techs: Alphabet and Pottery. (The only other civs with that tech combination are the Netherlands, England, the Iroquois and the Hittites.)
- Pottery is most useful, because of granaries.
- And Alphabet is the most expensive starting tech, so not having to research it yourself saves you a lot of beakers. It also allows you to start Writing on turn 0, so the Republic Slingshot has a good chance of succeeding even on high difficulty levels like Deity (provided a good start position).

The save file is attached
I played VERY carelessly but still even with that strat it's harder then almost any other civ choice.

Top Bottom