Operation Barbarossa

Divaythsarmour

Adventurer
I've been playing Ricoteh's "Operation Barbarossa." Wow, what fun! It may not provide answers to questions like "what if Hitler had chosen to _______ instead of...." but it's close.

I began at Brig General level playing as Germany. It was surprising how much the Soviets take the offensive in the first couple of turns. No matter what, they take Kosice (present day Slovakia) in their first turn. It's impossible to stop them. It takes awhile to get units over there and get Kosice back.

By early 1942 I had Leningrad, Moscow, the cities to the east (along the rail lines) and was beginning a push toward Voronezh. It felt like it was too easy.

So I started a new game at Lt. General level thinking that it might be harder. The only difference was that it took a lot longer to pop a great general with an elite unit in battle. In spite of that fact, I did a lot better than in the first game.

Here's what I learned for strategy:
  1. don't bomb enemy cities with airplanes - only use them against enemy units in open field
  2. create a lot of workers in low production cities during the first dozen turns or so - they build roads, improve the economy and clean up the mess of pollution and destroyed improvments. They can always be used to lure enemy units :)
  3. Don't forget to build good defensive units - my favorite is motorized infantry
  4. keep building artillery and form it into armies with 30 or 40 artillary units or more/army
  5. use artillary to soften up units that are defending cities
  6. don't forget to use "hurry production" especially for building "food supplies" in captured enemy cities.

I think I'll try the hardest level to see if there's any difference. Eventually I'll try a game as the Soviets too.

Top Bottom