Final map of Rise of Rome

Great thread!!! Have just finished this scenario for Rome on the emperor level. My global aim was to recreate the Roman Empire in borders it had existed in 3rd century BC, and despite trying really hard I failed. The game was ended by domination victory of Rome when only 10 turns left, while I was conquering Greece and preparing to attack Asia Minor owned by Macedonians. Considering the fact, that it took 20 turns to conquer 8 Macedonian cities in Greece (including Athens), I definitely wouldn't have wiped the enemy off Asia Minor till 270 AD or whenever the last turn would be.
Short description: at first I gathered all my forces including army confusingly called Caesar Augustus (I renamed it to L. Papirius Cursor) to clear Sicily and then landed in Africa. I needed to destroy/capture Carthage and nearby cities very quickly? for I was aware of Carthaginian military potential. Previously I had lost on monarch because the war for Sicily, Sardinia and Corsica dragged on endlessly involving 3/4 of my forces. After destroying Carthage and capturing some cities in its vicinity, my forces proceed westwards.3 armies comprised of legionaries were very useful in conquering Africa and Southern Spain. But there still was Carthaginian remnant in Gaul and I decided to attack Celts. This war was much easier for they hadn't built any Gallic swordsmen yet. I traded 2 Celtic cities in Britain fo peace and the Roman colonization of Britain and Ireland had begun. It was a problem to pick up appropriate nams for Irish cities, Dublinum and Corcum really looked strange...
Having finished with Celts and Carthaginians I attacked the weakest surviving rival, Egypt, enlisting Persian help. I succeded to get Egypt, Phoenicia and Crete but was still lacking population to win. So, breaking peace treaty with the Macedonians was the only decision. Macedonian War was very hard for they had more than 2 stacks of >30 Heavy Cavalry. By the end of the game I had 10 armies in the field (the last was named Maximinus Thrax), but still failed to capture Asia Minor and Middle Greece

Oh... forgot the map...

Attachments

• clipboard01.jpg
    clipboard01.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 1,174
Hey everybody

I pulled off this win on Monarch by score when time ran out. I had a comfortable 600-point lead. I wasn't even close to a Domination win though, I think I had 10% of land area and 23% of the population.

This game took me a month to win. I'd play, then get really frustrated, take a week off, then try again. Most frustrating were clearly the Roman Legionnaires. At 6.5, those were really hard to deal with using 3.3 Hoplites. As you can see I pulled off a sort of Greek Hadrian's wall in the mountainous area north of Greece. Being Industrious was pretty clutch here. I had about 80 Hoplites, 20 Fire Catapults and 20 Heavy Cavalry manning barricades in those hills :D

Out east, I had an easier time dealing with Persia. You can see in the world map that I conquered all of Turkey and Palestine. Also, within 10 turns I could have wiped out Persia...I had finally broken those bastards. The key here was armies. My Alexander army lasted me the entire game, and thanks to an early Heroic Epic I eventually had 7 armies at the end of the game. Only one army of mine was destroyed all game. I think I went through all the heroes of the Iliad, too :) Felt so good to finally win, I came really close to just giving up many times :)

Peace

You did good, rustydrill. Thanks for the story. It seems odd that you could leave such a good game for a week at a time. I reckon struggle and close fights are much more fun than a cake walk. You got me wanting to try this one (after I shut off the time limit and victory point endings).

How big a game is this? My computer is bit slow so like I can play the Napoleonic conquest no problem but the Middle Ages is too big to handle. How does this conquest compare?

The Rise of Rome map is doable on slower PCs too ( played it no problem on a PII-450MHZ with 128MB), since there are relatively few civs so your PC won't get bogged down calculating the trade routes like happens in the Middle Ages conquest.

Below is a shot of my final map for my win as Carthage.
I played at Emperor difficulty, and won with 3 turns remaining. I had 25% of the land area, but just barely 50% of the population. This game was MUCH tougher than my last win with Macedonia.

Attachments

• carthage.jpg
    carthage.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 814
I dun ahve an image right now, but i got Cartage, hunting the last city of the celts, got Egypt spit shining my sandals and Greece and Persia locked in an all out battle with my legions all ready piercing deep into the empire of the persians. Wich caused sum suply line trouble wich forced me to regroup my troops and take a wider line.

Then i won with VP, with my most advanced army at the gates of sum city to the far East of Persia. Oh and sum troops closing in from the north.

I'm gonna try modding it so I have a great unit, Wookies (100.100.10 adm) all over the Macedonian empire. Not going so well so far. :rolleyes: :mischief: :(
Maybe I should try it un modded. As Rome this time. :undecide: I'm not much of a warmonger.

Wow, this thread is still alive?! :eek: Great stories from all! :goodjob: And thanks for the screenshots. They're very interesting. ;)

Well, nothing extraordinary, but here´s my first try at C3C :)

Only on a low difficulty level, for I am a bloody Noob :p (Second level).
I was doing fine just until Macedons and Carthagians joined against me. I had most of my legions still in Germania (was defeating the Goths there and then turned West to invade Britain), and a small invasion force in Western North Africa. The two most Western cities of Carthage on African Mainland have been recaptured in the very same turn as I won, so unfortunately I couldn´t get them back before the final map... :(

Anyway, here it is:

Attachments

• rome1_20ad.JPG
    rome1_20ad.JPG
    32.3 KB · Views: 730
Hmm... since this thread is still alive, I guess I'll post one of my prouder moments as a C3C player...

Well, this game was at Sid difficulty back during the conquests beta-test.

At that time, on Sid level in scenarios the A.I got additional units at the start which made things considerably more difficult on certain scenarios. Hell, it was nigh on impossible to take the Phillipines as Japan on Sid level!

Edit: I'm the Romans! :D

Attachments

• 0.29romeendofgame.JPG
    0.29romeendofgame.JPG
    181.4 KB · Views: 679
My game as Rome. Played on Chieftain, but now I'm playing a game on Regent. This is the turn I won. Just look at the size of my chieftain empire!:smug:

Attachments

• Romegame.bmp
    70.6 KB · Views: 654
I may have to try that, rebuild the Roman Empire on Cheiftain or Warlord. Sounds like fun. Be even better if I could do it on Monarch or Emperor.

Yeah, I was surprised too that I could more or less create the borders of the Roman Empire by 20 AD...Ignoring all of those little spaces I have to fill.:p

Oh, so close. Just lost RoR last night on Regent, with 50% of the population and 18% of the land, which was a lot more people and a little more land than Persia, but they beat me on score.

I think my big mistake was not taking the war to Carthage sooner.

Top Bottom