Final map of Rise of Rome

It "looks odd" because that was an old replay bug.

I notice nobody's posted a Goth or Scythian victory. Shall I be the first?:mischief:

I tried a game as the Goths not too long ago. I had no problems taking out the celts or scythians, but then I decided to tackle the Romans. That was not my wisest decision, I should have traken the Carthaginians or Persia (Greece was knocked out by then). Their Legionary III steamrolled me, even with me having about 60 Fire Cats, and 70 Teutonic Warriors. After I lost about half the territory I gained I gave up.

I know this is a very old thread but I was just so proud of my victory as Carthage on Monarch that I just had to go digging it up.

Anyway...I went after Rome first. Oddly there was no counterattack whatsoever until I had reached the Alps, when huge stacks of legions started appearing. It seems Rome was more concerned with conquering the Celts than defending their homeland. The Celts had been completely torn apart by the romans so I had no hard task there. After that I just threw everything I had at Macedon and Eygpt to complete to required population:

Area: 21%
Pop: 51%

The key to winning this Conquest is really Eygpt. By the end of the game they have huge 20+ cities which really help get the necessary population. Oddly Macedon was doing really well until I invaded them. For most of the game they held all of Asia Minor and occasionally were able to take Antioch.

Here is mine:
http://www.civfanatics.net/uploads9/RoRMapMG.jpg

I played that game as Macedon. First I conquered evil Persians with the help of Scythians. After that I attacked Egypt but Carthage was also capturing Egyptian cities so I declared war against them!
I captured all carthagian cities (expect one island town) and after that I attacked Celts.
But soon I reached domination limit.

I don't have a minimap shot, so this will have to do.

I played as Glorious Rome, but I didn't conquer Gaul :crazyeye:

Attachments

• rorminimap.jpg
    rorminimap.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 610
The victory map from my first real go at it, and the final map from that game, since I enjoyed it so much I kept on playing. One thing I want to add to Justus' warning about capturing Carthago is that holds well if you plan on letting them live. If, on the other hand, you plan on pressing the attack on all three fronts (east from Carthago, west from Carthago and in Spain), which I know is feasible up to Emperor, but may not be on Deity, the capital jump won't mean a lot in the long run. They may be able to crank out more attackers than otherwise, but that's just more elites and more leaders for you ;). They'll be losing cities fairly steadily, especially east from Carthago. Another tip is that if you capture Carthago before razing Lilibeo (which, every time I've played, has been founded NE of Carthago Novo), the capital will jump to Tingis, not as centrally located as CN.

Attachments

• Victory Map.jpg
    Victory Map.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 179
  • Final Map - 140 AD.jpg
    Final Map - 140 AD.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 182
I just finished my "Rise of Rome"! (emperor)
Made it to domination (20% land, 50% pop) exactly in the last turn!! :D

It is great, because I didn't want to win by score when you have a goal of domination and playing Rome.

When I was in the position I wanted and already slayed the celts and Goths, I got to dealing with the rest... but I was lacking population, and in the last 10 turns I gained about a percent population per turn by sending all I got towards Byzantine Africa and Macedon, taking cities and joining slaves.
I didn't play the citizen card early on, since I love to have a nice hard core...
Here it is, I must show it to you guys:

This may hae only been cheiften, but i've tried higher difficulties and I always scuk on Regent, so...

Report on the map, ok...

First i concqured persia, that was rather easy especially when you attack the immortals first. Besides, they had one or two spearman defending each city. After that, Carthage somhow killed off Egypt, coincidentally, rome asked for an alliance with these grey-tards, so i took the opritunity. so, thats how i got eygypt, i also "rescued" Leptis Magna and Carthage form the raze happy romans. Then i was trying to get domination, so ALL of my cities whent settler happy... THE END! :ar15:

How do you get these maps? I know how to get the big map (Print Screen), but how do you get just the minimaps with everything "discovered"?

I've beaten this conquest as all four civs (on Regent) and I want to post each map here.

BTW, I think the difficulty is as follows, easiest to hardest:

1) Persia
2) Carthage
3) Macedon
4) Rome

It's in the replay screen.

Anyway...

Rome last??!!! :eek: They should be second! Citizens are really really good for Domination!

Carthage should be last - they have no chance to hold Sicily, and against a high-ish level AI, an attack on Rome is practically impossible.

I'd say you should switch Rome and Carthage on your list.

I think he´s referring to the difficulty ON WHICH he has completed the scenario... So he only managed a win with Carthage on an easy setting, while his Rome survived on hard ;)

My Rise of Rome.

Civ Rome
Difficulty Monarch

The reasons I think Rome is harder to play as than Carthage, on Regent...
1) I've lost as Rome twice (and not at all as anyone else in this Conquest), so I definitely have had some bad experiences with them.
2) Playing as Carthage was really easy, since Rome never made any initiatives.
3) Rome as AI against Carthage as AI never takes more than maybe a city in Spain and loses Syracuse to Carthage, so Carthage is by far better on AI.
4) In my Persia win, Carthage controlled Corsica, Sardinia, and Sicily, but at the same time had an SOD of about 30 Heavy Cavalry and several near Leptis Magna, just in case I declared war on them. Wow.

As for citizens being great for domination, that's what I thought before I lost twice. I settled the area NE of Padua with garrisons in each city, which worked great until Macedon declared war on me, with Heavy Cavalry. I concluded from that that one must either attack Celts/Gaul and focus your energy there (which AI likes to do), or go for Carthage right away. Without taking Massilia, citizens are a less useful, especially with Carthage on the Iberian Peninsula to start.
As for the war with Carthage, I think it's a lot easier for Carthage to win for three reasons:
1) Carthage has a significant amount more production power, despite their relative lack of civil defense to begin with.
2) Carthage is seafaring in a primarily island war.
3) Carthage can use Macedon to their direct advantage, while as Rome Macedon only sends a few ships to help.
All in all, Rise of Rome as Rome is HARD.

Okay, I guess that makes every time I win as Rome more impressive. :D

I've played as the Greeks, but unfortunately I don't have the saved file anymore.

I started out dominating Persia, would took most of my time in the early game. I then advanced south through Egypt (who was still alive), and took a few of their cities just as Carthage was pushing in from the west (the Romans had failed in their entirety in penetrating Carthage; the most they had accomplished were a couple of cities in Spain). I then declared war on Carthage and poured into North Africa, where I quickly took three of their cities in a single turn. They subsequently depleted most of their Heavy Cavalry units attacking my defenses and this pattern continued until after I had subdued them. The game ended by Domination before I was able to turn on Rome, which had been busy taking out the Celts.

Difficulty level was Emperor.

I should also mention that with the Carthaginians on the same difficulty level it is practically impossible if you don't invade Rome early. I didn't and although I did take Rome once I had secured the southern Italian peninsula, it was an uphill battle the entire game as the Romans had metros for most of their cities in Italy and what seemed to be a never-ending army of those nightmarish Legionary IIIs. I eventually took all of Italy, but the game ended by turns before I was able to advance any further. I suppose I should also point out that Macedon and Persia were still locked in a stalemate over Anatolia (Asia Minor).

played as Carthage, got domination with 3 turns left. Managed to hold a city in Sicily until I could get my counter-attack on Rome going and then took all of Italy before I ran into a gigantic stack of legions (mostly I's and II's, a few III's) in the Alps. I had been building a smaller army in Spain and forced Rome to pick between the two, except he couldn't decide so I ended up being able to take out most of the army fairly easily. Then Rome kept founding more cities so I had to pursue them all the way into northern France, and so couldn't bring my armies to bear on Persia (who was ahead of me at the time for Domination and points) until there was 8 turns left. So I sent a hastily made army to Egypt while pumping settlers and filling Spain and some of northern africa. Well I forgot the fact that they would have Numidian Mercs and a lot of them too. Managed to take Khmun and Alexandria, putting me up to 49% pop. Then I negotiated peace and got all of their useless 1 pop desert cities, just putting me over the edge. I did take a few persian cities too, but they got one of my islands too.

It really helped that I had temple of artemis (built in Roma) so that my desert cities would expand and give me the territory I needed. Also Hadrian's Wall helped as well, captured cities with automatic walls. Oh yeah, this was on Monarch

EDIT: forgot to add that Persia could have won if they wouldn't have razed almost every city they took from Scythia.

Attachments

• rr.JPG
    rr.JPG
    34.1 KB · Views: 406
I won as Macedon. I took care of Persia, while fighting Scythia up north. After persia was gone, I captured Croton from Rome and offered peace. I spared Egypt's last city, and captured Memphis from carthage with like alot of heavy cavalry and 2 armies, and traveled through northern africa (my forces were south of where cyrene is in rl).
I also sent around 12 heavy cavalry and 4 hoplites to take Sicily from the Carthaginians, but only succeded in capturing Messana on the 2nd to last turn.
Domination victory (20 land, 61 pop) with 39 points left, and a score of 1428. (i have a screenshot of that too)

Attachments

• macedonianveectory.jpg
    macedonianveectory.jpg
    12.3 KB · Views: 325
PLEASE put difficulty level near the civ you play with.. or I'll think you all did it on chieftain! ;)
I love the idea of destroying Rome in "Rise of Rome"...

Top Bottom