Final map of Rise of Rome

boogaboo said:
PLEASE put difficulty level near the civ you play with.. or I'll think you all did it on chieftain! ;)
I love the idea of destroying Rome in "Rise of Rome"...
Heh, what if i DID do it on chieftain? :crazyeye:
Yeah, I'm not that good on anything else :p.

Okay, after much delay, here are my four screenshots, again, all on Regent:

1) Macedon:
This was my first win on this Conquest after losing as Rome twice. I went straight through Iconium to Antioch with my army, then lost Iconium. I then sent my army down to Gaza, which Persia had taken from Egypt. I took Gaza and slowly moved my way back north. Meanwhile, my other troops took the three northern cities of Asia Minor. I got two more armies from this, and in one turn I had them all attacking cities - Antioch, Melitene and Iconium. Iconium was a breeze and Melitene was hard, but in the end I took all three. I then worked my way down the Euphrates all the way to Persepolis and Susa, then finished off Persia near the Caspian Sea. I then conquered Egypt, which put me at enough for a Domination victory 1 turn before the end.

2) Carthage:
As Carthage, I began by getting Macedon on my side. I then took Messana from Rome, reinforced each of my three islands and Spain and attacked the Italian penisula. After a while, I fought my way to Rome (with my army) and took it. It was pretty easy from there on out, as Rome had wasted a lot of time on the Celts. I also took the south half of Egypt, as Persia got the rest before I could. Persia then also conquered a weakened Macedon except for a couple cities that Rome had taken from them. I drove them out of Gaul, then decided to attack Goths because Rome had taken a city from them and all of my Heavy Cavalry were there. After defeating the Goths, I had enough to count for another Domination victory, 17 turns from the end. Persia was ahead in points, though.

3) Persia:
In my Persia game, I already had a pretty good idea of what Macedon could do, so I reinforced Inconium with many Immortals. I also focused on building many settlers to populate the middle of Persia's "ring of cities" and to the north. I eventually took Sardis, lost it, took Miletus, then took Sardis again until I got to Byzantium. From there it was simple and Macedon was gone. I then turned to Egypt, defeated them quickly, and finally started into Scythia before I won 37 turns before the end, by far my best game.

4) Rome:
In my third Roman game, I finally figured out that you have to conquer Carthago early before it is too well defended. I did so, and slowly took more cities of Carthage's. I also declared war on Celts in the fourth turn or so and took Massilia, then offered peace. Carthage was a pest with Massilia and it changed hands seven times. After defeating Carthage, I turned to Celts, and even took their city in England. Scythia took most of the Goth's cities and I took the last one to finish them off too. Meanwhile, Persia started to gain ground on Macedon and I declared war to get what I could get. I conquered all the way to Byzantium, which they got. Then I attacked Persia and took a couple cities to get to domination with 3 turns left. In the end, there were only three civs left: Rome, Persia and Scythia.

Sorry for my lack of word choice in those descriptions... :)

Attachments

• RoR Final Map Carthage Regent.bmp
    251.8 KB · Views: 509
  • RoR Final Map Macedon Regent.bmp
    251 KB · Views: 351
  • RoR Final Map Rome Regent.bmp
    251.8 KB · Views: 335
  • RoR Final Map Persia Regent.bmp
    251.8 KB · Views: 325
Decided to play a nice, casual game. I wasn't trying to win for about 2/3rd the game, then thought, "Hey, why not go for score?". So, I built settlers like crazy -- I have 26% land, but only 41% population (goes up about .75% a turn). Had I built settlers like crazy, I definately would've won. I'm Scythia BTW. (to enable them, go into the editor, and player properties, and set all civs to allow the human player). The AI did something REALLY stupid this game, too -- Carthage sent their entire army the long way around to Rome, then attacked Greece, and Persia declared war on them. That was about 10 turns ago... (before endgame)

i am impressed chieftess! Good job! And also thx for telling me how to play with the other nations of the map. I wanna try Celts sometime.

I played with carthage this one. I think its almost impossible to beat the persians in score. A monarch game: i conquered almost everthing of Italy and Egypt and settled myself in Spain. But i lost because Persia had 300 points or so more then me......

Chieftess said:
The AI did something REALLY stupid this game, too -- Carthage sent their entire army the long way around to Rome, then attacked Greece, and Persia declared war on them. That was about 10 turns ago... (before endgame)
That's a big of this scenario: when the road is free Carthage goes to Rome via Suez and around the Black Sea (because Byzantium is in the way). Actually, for Carthago's sake the 'Suez' passage should be blocked by Egypt, so that Carthago will go by sea. :crazyeye:

Matrix said:
That's a big of this scenario: when the road is free Carthage goes to Rome via Suez and around the Black Sea (because Byzantium is in the way). Actually, for Carthago's sake the 'Suez' passage should be blocked by Egypt, so that Carthago will go by sea. :crazyeye:

It doesn't help when Carthage has conquered Egypt though. ;)

You can also make Byzantium blocking the entire strait... Or change the map so that it's like the one in Fall of Rome...

Well I have to say that after winning last year RoR on Emperor I decided to give it ago again last night being my favourite scenario. This time I tried Sid level. Amazing, it actually played easier than at Emperor. I'm only in turn 47, but it sure feels as If there's no difference.

It's sure different to start an epic Sid game than a Sid scenario, waaaaay different.

I played the Goths yesterday. No screenshot, I didn't win (far from it).

I think the Goths cannot win, no matter how good the player is. I'm just a below-average player, the AI and me are more or less equals on Regent-level.

BUT: The Goths don't have spearmen or pikemen. Their best defense unit is the Archer with defense 1!

No player can match forces with the Romans or the Persians with a defense-1-unit.

Also, their best attack unit is the Berserk with 4/1/1. It's very unlikely that you will capture a city protected by Legionary III with that. These units are also extremely vulnerable to counter-attack and you can't even send defense units with them, 'cause you don't have any.

And last: All major powers have access to 5/2/2-cavalry, while the Goths only have the 2/1/2-horsemen. They're no match for the infantry- or cavalry-units and the 5/2/2-cavalry can easily outrun and outflank the Berserk-infantry.

So, unless you edit the Scenario Properties, you can't win with the Goths...unless you colonize all of Europe and Russia and hope that the major powers won't attack you and no nation will gain superiority over the others.

I think romans are overpowered in this senario so I always play as carthqganians. This is my game Emperor still being played- I recently took city of Rome and pushing romans into Gaul. It seems like Persians are gettign powerful..... My trick was i transported hannibal across the sea ina boat and built an elephant army in Italy right from the start.

You can edit the post instead of making a new one.

Here is my map. I played as Persia winning in 108 turns by domination on Monarch.

Attachments

• persia map small.bmp
    187.6 KB · Views: 439
Alex_the_Rus said:
I think romans are overpowered in this senario so I always play as carthqganians.

Well, it is called Rise of Rome...

Yes, the Romans have the best infantry and have access to Heavy Cavalry, and 2-move 1-pop settlers, oh and the 20 shield Garrison. That's why you want to play this scenario at Emperor level or higher if you're Rome. Sure, that starting 4/3/1 Legionary I is powerful, but it's also 50 shields. Carthage's War Elephant is arguably a better deal in the early goings, especially considing the 4 move roads. Persia's Immortal is also pretty cheap at the start.

This is my game Emperor still being played- I recently took city of Rome and pushing romans into Gaul. It seems like Persians are getting powerful..... My trick was i transported hannibal across the sea ina boat and built an elephant army in Italy right from the start.

Yup, you need to take Scilily before the Romans do. Get the Celts and Macedon to attack Rome ASAP to keep the Romans busy in the north. IIRC, the Celts don't have iron hooked up at the start so gift them iron so they can build Gallics. Also don't forget to hook up the Elephants in Africa so you can build Numidian Mercs.

Matrix said:
I wonder what other people their empires looks like when they win the game. Therefor I think it would be nice if everyone who still has the final savegame of Rise of Rome could post the final map as shown in the replay. Then I can mix all these maps into one 'average' map. But that's just a bonus. I just like to know where you all ended up. :)

Here's my contribution:

I actually wanted to populate the Iberic peninsula completely, but won before I did that.
Is there someone who left Carthage where they are and went north?
i did but dam man i always loose i conquer celts and the goths and sythyens and eygpt i never win how do u beat it?

man can u tell me how u beat it

ok ppl the carthaginas made me fin mad after awhile then i took ceaser agustas and took thar ass of africa nad spain but persia got them in eygpt now i focuased on gual but the celts over powerd me big time and took the goths out so i still havent beaten this scenerio im carthage and marching to rome but i think i better retreet ppl tell wat i should do

Moderator Action: Use the edit button instead of posting 3 times.

Has anybody realised that if on the 1st turn you ask for an alliance with te Celts vs Carthage you can get Massilia thrown in for free too???

Has anybody realised that if on the 1st turn you ask for an alliance with te Celts vs Carthage you can get Massilia thrown in for free too???

Try not to necropost please, but yes, this is the well known first turn diplomacy bug, you can do it in some other scenarios as well. Most people don't since it is essentially an exploit.

This is my victory in Sid difficulty level, as Rome. My map is attached.

For the major part of the game, I left Macedon untouched. I never attacked Gaul or Persia.

I went after Carthage first, then Goth, and then Scythia, and finally Macedon.

After 103,3 hours and 122 turns of playing, I won, with %52 of the population.
My final score was 12572 points.

Attachments

• Final Map RoR as Seimenus Alcarus of Rome.jpg
    Final Map RoR as Seimenus Alcarus of Rome.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 208
  • power.jpg
    power.jpg
    278.2 KB · Views: 263
  • domination victory.jpg
    domination victory.jpg
    215.9 KB · Views: 213
Top Bottom