The Diplomatic Archives

Caledorn

Emperor
This is where the diplomatic communiqués will be posted by the Diplomatic Staff. Please do not use this thread to discuss the contents of the letters, but keep the discussion in The Global Foyer.

Any drafts for outgoing letters created by me will be edited in the post, and a notification made in The Global Foyer. :)

Greetings to King Indiansmoke of House Merlot,

Our nation is still small, but we are growing and we hope to one day thrive. The AMAZON wishes good health and long life to King Indiansmoke, and hope that his people will also thrive.

The fearless AMAZONs recognize that this is indeed a hostile world in which we find ourselves. Bands of uncivilized warriors are tramping around on all sides of us, and perhaps some of the civilized people who share this world with us cannot be trusted. We are looking to build strong ties to trustworthy civilizations that will ensure the mutual safety of our nations.

We have, indeed, been trading technologies with other civilizations. We are looking for allies so that we can face this hostile world together and strengthen our nations. We would prefer to ally with Merlot due, in part, to the respect which the AMAZONs have for the illustrious King Indiansmoke, but we have been discouraged by your seeming reluctance to share information.

The AMAZON homeland is blessed with an abundance of Sheep and Silver as well as sources of Deer and Fur. What resources has the great mapmaker blessed you with?

We have heard rumors that House Merlot is already allied with the Vikings of CDZ. Is this rumor true?

In our excitement over coming in contact with the Kingdom of Merlot we drafted a potential alliance agreement, but the lukewarm response we received from you discouraged us from sending it. We want to ask whether you would wish to see our proposal, or whether your underwhelming response indicates that you would not be interested.

Sincerely yours,
SilentConfusion, AMAZON diplomat

This is a draft I wrote up on short notice to the letter from Team Amazon. It is possibly a bit too enthusiastic - but their intentions seem honest, and they are certainly sharing more than they needed to share with us. My feelings on the matter is that I think we should seriously consider being forthcoming, without giving away too much, which I think I have managed to balance in this draft. I am, as always, awaiting Your Majesty's input though. Any modifications to the draft will be done in this post itself, with a Edit Statement at the bottom of the post.

Greetings to the AMAZON people from Emperor Indiansmoke and the people of Merlot!

Just like you write in your warm letter to His Majesty, our nation is also looking for trusted allies for mutual cooperation. We do not yet know how big this world is, or how much conflict is ahead of us. But one thing is certain - there will be conflict. It is just a question of time. And it will be vitally important to be prepared, and to have trusted confidantes, when this time arrives.

My personal apologies to your people, as the Imperial Diplomat of Merlot, that the initial response I wrote to you sounded lukewarm - this was not the intention at all! There was a frenzy of missives that had to be written in short order, because we suddenly met a lot of the other civilizations more or less within a short period of time. This may sadly have led to the letters seeming a bit too much on the formal side.

His Majesty thanks you for being forthcoming in sharing the fact that you have been trading technologies with other civilization - your honesty and willingness to meet us at friendly terms is very appreciated! You are more than welcome to inquire with us if there is anything you are wondering about.

On the Island of Merlot we have found an abundance of Gems, Wine and Corn so far. There might be other, hidden, resources that we are unaware of - but these are the resources we have discovered.

I can reassure you that Merlot has not entered any agreements with Team CDZ! May we ask where these rumours originate from?

His Majesty has also informed me that we are indeed most interested in seeing the draft you have spent time on writing for a potential alliance agreement! We are more than willing to enter an alliance with your nation if you are still interested!

We are also interested in an agreement where our nations can have a mutual science trade treaty - what are your views on this? Our scientists are currently researching the technology Monarchy.

Warm regards,
Sir Caledorn
Imperial Diplomat of Merlot
on behalf of His Majesty, Emperor Indiansmoke I

Here is a draft I have prepared as a response to Team Sirius. Admittedly, we might not want to divulge the information I have included here - I included it with the thought in mind that if we don't want to divulge it, I can erase it with the stroke of a pen anyways.

To make it easier to see what this draft is actually a response to, I have included the original letter from them here, even though it is also written in the Global Foyer.

Their Letter:
The Sirian people extend our greetings to the Kingdom of Merlot. Our intrepid explorer Voyager has reported to us a sighting of an impressively large ship from your Kingdom. We are honored to meet you and look forward to years of peace between our two nations. The Sirian people are inherently curious about this world around us, and are always looking to learn more. We have pieced together a fair picture of our world, and its grand intelligent design. We look forward to learning about you, and your view of this world, to make our picture all the more complete.

The nation of Sirius may always be contacted at sirius.mtdg@gmail.com. We anticipate eagerly our correspondence with your kingdom.

-Grant2004, on behalf of team Sirius

Our reply:
Greetings Grant2004, and the entire nation of the Sirian people, from Emperor Indiansmoke I and the people of Merlot!

His Majesty sends his warmest regards to your nation, and wants you to know that the people of Merlot feels honoured to greet your people in friendship!

We are very much looking forward to entering diplomatic negotiations with your nation now that initial contact has been made, and your diplomats will always be welcome to Merlot Island!

To start off with some informational sharing, we would like to divulge the information that our nation is currently located on Merlot Island - a beautiful island where the people of Merlot are currently living happily under the rule of His Majesty. Our ocean explorers have discovered a continent that looks like it has peninsulas and fjords. May we ask what your explorers have found so far?

Also, we have so far found Gems, Wine and Corn on Merlot Island - so these are the resources we will be able to trade when the time is right. What resources have your people found?

We are very much looking forward to the next letter from your people - and we may always be contacted at the EMail this missive has been sent from - merlotdip@gmail.com just to make certain.

Sir Caledorn
on behalf of Emperor Indiansmoke I

On behalf of Emperor Indiansmoke I, I greet you warmly Robi, and the Viking nation of CDZ!

Our apologies for the late reply!

We are currently living in crucial times, where alliances are forged and bonds being created. As such, keeping an open mind in regards to diplomacy is of vital importance in these times. The nation of Merlot is looking for potential alliances, for technological trades, military and commercial trades.

It appears that there is a four-way technology trade agreement between the other nations going on. This is cause for some concern, and His Majesty would like to inquire what your thoughts on this is?

His Majesty would also like to inquire if your nation is interested in trading technologies with the nation of Merlot - and if you are, what technologies would you be interested in that Merlot possesses?

We are interested in sharing geographical knowledge with your people as well. Our home is Merlot Island, a beautiful island just east of something that appears to be a large landmass. The landmass appears to have several fjords and peninsulas, so we are very curious about what this landmass really looks like. In our north we have the Persian nation of the AMAZONS as the closest neighbour, as your explorers may have discovered already.

When it comes to trading goods and wares, we possess precious Gemstones, lovely Wine and tasty Corn on Merlot Island. We are interested, when the time is right, to trade with your people, if this pleases you!

Sir Caledorn

Quatronia Reply, version 1
Greetings to Ambassador CharlemagneXLII and all of Quatronia,
I personally apologize for the lateness of a reply. The people of Merlot have been very busy in both internal and external affairs, please do not take this as a sign of distrust!

His Majesty, King Indiansmoke I, wishes for us to forge an open and mutually beneficial relationship which will help advance both our empires to great new heights of magnificence. With the blessing of His Majesty himself, we are hopeful that this may last for many, many years.

To prove our noble intentions, our brave scientists are currently researching Monarchy, and we are looking forward to exchange technologies which both parties can agree are for the good of both lands.

The citizens of Merlot await your reply,
Sir Snaker8

We have received a reply from the Sirians

Their letter:
The Sirian people are pleased to hear about Merlot Island. It sounds like a beautiful place. Our explorers would love to visit it, as soon as our ships find a passage across the turbulent waters separating you from the mainland. The Sirians live on a similar island, also separated from the rest of the world by a patch of turbulent waters, which our sailors, through years of practice, and cultural knowledge, have learned to navigate.

Our explorers have discovered that there is a single mainland, comprised of many spokes connected at a central hub. These spokes are arranged in an orderly pattern, and appear to have thin waterways cutting deep into the center of our maps, nearly joining all the world’s oceans. Our maps show a surprising level of symmetry, indicating that a truly wise and powerful creator has shaped the world we live in, although this creator has not yet revealed himself to our people.

Our homeland is similarly abounding in resources; we have discovered sources of fish, gold, and silk. We look forward to the days when our ships will grow large enough to transport these goods across the world. Our people would love to sample your exotic goods, and share the abundance of our island.

We have discovered that opening our borders to other nations does not allow for trade, because of the nature of the strange waters separating each of our homelands. However we do believe that such agreements will become useful when nations begin to send citizens abroad to these large uninhabited spokes. Looking forward to that time, the Sirians would like to propose that our two nations make an agreement to open our borders to each other, for our mutual economic benefit.

-Grant2004, on behalf of team Sirius

Our reply:
Greetings from Indiansmoke I, sovereign ruler of the people of Merlot!

We wish to thank you for your openness in sharing important information about the world with us - it is much appreciated! We have discovered that it appears that the Vikings of CDZ also live on such an island, so it would be logical then to assume that the people of the world we live in are located on islands surrounding the larger continent in the middle. And indeed, our suspicions was that the mainland has an orderly pattern, just like what you describe in your letter. One has to wonder if there are other landmasses to be found elsewhere - this remains to be seen though, as our seafarers are not competent enough to cross deep oceans as of yet.

His Majesty has encouraged the merchants and traders of Merlot to seek out trading opportunities when they arise - and I have been told that they are eagerly awaiting the opportunity to trade with your people! The Nobles of Merlot are eagerly awaiting the day when they can purchase gold from your people, so they can get our jewelers to set the gems we mine into lovely golden jewelry! Our scientists are looking into new ship designs that can allow ships loaded with good to cross these oceans, but they are making slow progress for now, since His Majesty has ordered them to find a way for us to bottle all the wine present on our island as a priority issue.

Your proposition that our nations enter an agreement of open borders for mutual economic benefit has as such been met with great eagerness by His Majesty, the Nobles and the merchant class - and we are indeed looking forward to the day when we may begin trading in earnest! A formalized agreement that this is indeed the future plan of both our nations is as such indeed something His Majesty agrees to signing at the earliest opportunity. Will you draw up the treaty, or should I set my Aides on drawing it up?

Sir Caledorn
Imperial Head Diplomat of Merlot

Team CDZ missive

Their letter:
Greetings Sir Calderon,

I apologise for the time it has taken to reply. We had a number of offers thrown at us all at once and we had to decide on a future direction. In the end we decided to go with a multi-nation alliance which will unfortunately preclude any high level deals with Merlot, however we do hope to maintain friendly relations into the future.

Regards
Robi, Team CDZ

New draft (By his majesty):
Greetings from His Majesty, Emperor Indiansmoke I of Team Merlot!

As you may have noticed Team Quatronia have declared war on us and sunk our workboat, so that we don't explore further in this world and we have declared war on Team Amazon.

We want to inform you that we don't consider you part of this war, despite the 4 nation alliance you are in, and that our business is with Team Amazon and not with you.

Team Amazon has been lying to us systematically from the moment we met them, and we do not look upon lies and deception kindly.

We also want to bring to your attention that we have every reason to believe that Team Amazon and Team Sirius are in an alliance from the beginning of game, and are now in fact an alliance inside the alliance and will be watching each other's backs until the end of this game... Naturally after we and Team Mavericks are majorly out-teched and removed from the map, their eyes will be on you, the only remaining threat as they don't consider Team Quatronia a major threat.

We will be here to talk openly in case you decide and/or are allowed to do so.

Meanwhile we will focus our entertainment on the badly dressed ladies to the north.

Kind regards,

Sir Caledorn

We have received an .. interesting .. missive from Team Quatronia today:

NONE SHALL PASS!

Regards,
The Q Continuum

Seeing as this was their war declaration, things are more understandable.

Greeting letter to Team Mavericks :

Greetings from His Majesty, Emperor Indiansmoke I of Team Merlot!

It is with much joy that we finally are able to greet the nation of Team Mavericks! As your people are most likely aware of, we are already
at war with two of the members of the four-way alliance that has been established between the other teams, and one of the reasons we are at
war with them is because Team Quatronia decided to sink our scout boat that was trying to locate your people.

As things are headed in this world, we are hoping to quickly establish a mutual and full alliance with your nation, to coordinate research
and collaborate on trying to minimize some of the advantage the nations of the alliance has already gained.

His Majesty would also like to inquire if your nation has any open agreements with any of the nations in the four-way alliance? We have only the two wars at the moment.

We are eagerly awaiting your response, and look forward to a hopefully long-term beneficial collaboration with you!

Sir Caledorn

Reply from Team Mavericks:

Dear Team Merlot,

We apologize for delay in answer, but we will try to get back to you faster next time. At this point we find ourselves out of any deals with any of the other nations (we didn't even trade with anyone so far). It seems to us that rest of the world felt endangered with our fast Wonder advances and our gifted players who established these tactics.

At this point we feel no need to withhold any information from you and recommend following:

it's 4 vs us 2, we need to help each other out as much as possible, when you get alpha we'll give you all our techs, which are math, metal casting, priest, mono and poly and it would be great if you would give us all of your techs then.

we also have elephants (2 of them) which we would like to share with you. so we need to find a way to trade resources.

we also would like to coordinate research with you. our next goals are hbr and construction, to make best use of the elephants. it would be ideal if you could research construction or hbr after math.

On behalf of team Mavericks
Ahmedhadzi Junior Diplomat

Suggested letter/reply for a live conversation:
Greetings to all of members of the Mavericks,
It is wonderful to see that you are open and willing to engage in a positive and beneficial relationship with our nation. We are equally open to the idea of trading technologies, resources, and much more to further both our empires.

Your honesty proves your nation is an honourable one. The alliance you face is one that both of us can share our experiences from. From this, we should be active in supporting one another so that our nations may continue to flourish under the almighty guidance of both our leaders.

Regarding trade opportunities, we have Corn, Wine and Gems that we can share with your people.

To prove to you our good intentions, His Majesty, King Indiansmoke I, as well as both the leading Ambassador Sir Caledorn, and me, Ambassador to Mavericks, Sir Snaker8, are wanting to begin a live-chat style discussion on several issues of interest to both countries. This can be on MSN or whatever messenger client you deem as the most viable option. If we are to engage in a live discussion, we ask that at least one of your ambassadors is present in the discussion.

Since this is an international community, we also require that all participating members state their time zone, so that a conversation may be scheduled which will minimize conflict with real-life hours of the day. We will also require email contact information relevant to the chat.

Sir Snaker8

Indiansmoke probably won't be too happy with me for acting on my own diplomatically but at the time, (I was shortly leaving town) I felt I had to act quickly and tried to act in the best interest of Merlot ( I personally see no harm in being an open book to them). Here's what we got:

First I sent that message ingame. He logged in not much later and we started PMing

obsolete said:
Do you guys have math yet? What is your ETA on alphabet so we can trade? Cyrus has talked the other 3 into an alliance against us. So it's been 4vs1 against us the whole way from the start.

slaze said:
obsolete said:
So it's been 4vs1 against us the whole way from the start.

Same here.

No, we don't have math yet. Right now it's the placeholder while we're on 0% science. at 100% it's 4 turns, Alphabet would be 5-ish. We've stockpiled a good amount of gold (500+ next turn) so we're set up to do a good little run at max science.

obsolete said:
I'm logged in the server now if you can make it back in.

Turn up alpha right now, since we can't beat that. We'll finish off math and try to do max trade catchups. We don't even have archery yet, but we did grab metal-casting, etc.

slaze said:
obsolete said:
So it's been 4vs1 against us the whole way from the start.

Same here.

No, we don't have math yet. Right now it's the placeholder while we're on 0% science. at 100% it's 4 turns, Alphabet would be 5-ish. We've stockpiled a good amount of gold (500+ next turn) so we're set up to do a good little run at max science.

slaze said:
obsolete said:
Turn up alpha right now, since we can't beat that

Will do, though it looks like i can't "connect to peer" when i try to log in so long as you're in there.

Woulda been a whole bunch of unapproved chat if I could have talked to him in-game

obsolete said:
BTW, we tried to make contact with you ages ago. Cyrus refuses to open borders with us, and also seems to have talked Ragnar into doing the same to blockade us from reaching out to you.

We made a couple triremes here we were hoping to use as a battering ram and force our way to you, and also made a chariot which was on its way over to try and find you as well (stupid jungle forcing us at such a slow pace). I didn't expect to see your holkan so soon.

We will be able to bulb Theology pretty soon. It's just possible we may be able to trade it with others now to catch up in a few techs now that they know we have met up with each other. Who knows, maybe we can get Willem to break off from the 4vs2 alliance or something. Doubtful..

slaze said:
obsolete said:
BTW, we tried to make contact with you ages ago. Cyrus refuses to open borders with us, and also seems to have talked Ragnar into doing the same to blockade us from reaching out to you.

We made a couple triremes here we were hoping to use as a battering ram and force our way to you, and also made a chariot which was on its way over to try and find you as well (stupid jungle forcing us at such a slow pace). I didn't expect to see your holkan so soon.

We will be able to bulb Theology pretty soon. It's just possible we may be able to trade it with others now to catch up in a few techs now that they know we have met up with each other. Who knows, maybe we can get Willem to break off from the 4vs2 alliance or something. Doubtful..

Allright, alpha in 5

We had a workboat running down the south and Quatronia killed it as we tried to pass through. After that happens and things shaped up like they did we rushed the holkan through and here we are, the 4-5 turns early. Some time ago we declared on AMAZON and now they have an archer standing off with our mainland city. We're hooking up bronze next turn and may deny AMAZON theirs though the graphs show CDZ working every little hammer they can, it feels like it's only a matter of time before they'll be in our mix.

obsolete said:
Well I knew you were at war with the 2 of them long before we met, but I had assumed it was the Amazons who declared war on you first. So I was off on that one...

BTW, Willem has at least one city up north from where your unit is now. It's at pop 4 right now. Also, most our spy points are set vs Carthage. They are researching optics right now. I"m pretty certain their group will go for Astronomy right after and you know what their intentions are with that.

Some more info... Despite Ragnar wants to Dow on you with his OP UU on this map, he is having quite some tension problems with Carthage. They started contesting important pieces of land early, and now are fighting culture problems. It is just a matter of time before their conspiring asses break down. If we can make Ragnar double-think on taking you out early, then he will go after Carthage to resolve the tensions there that are not going to ever go away.

And I swear to God, even if Ragnar doesn't ally with us, I will still help him DoW against Carthage in any way I can, after the :):):):) they pulled on us this game.

Oh, BTW Cyrus has been pretty rude, and arrogant all game, giving nothing but threats when ever we didn't becon at their command like everyone else did. So the fact that you DoWed on him first has me so LMFAO.

slaze said:
obsolete said:

Allright, alpha in 5

We had a workboat running down the south and Quatronia killed it as we tried to pass through. After that happens and things shaped up like they did we rushed the holkan through and here we are, the 4-5 turns early. Some time ago we declared on AMAZON and now they have an archer standing off with our mainland city. We're hooking up bronze next turn and may deny AMAZON theirs though the graphs show CDZ working every little hammer they can, it feels like it's only a matter of time before they'll be in our mix.

obsolete said:
Since everyone wants to dogpile us, Snaaty was voting for construction as the major goal, in order to threaten any stacks with catapults. Also, we do have phants, so were planning to get some of those built down the line. I do worry it may be too late though.

Technically we are not at war with Carthage just this minute, but the second that warrior moves off the jungle-tile, I'm going to DoW on them and kill it. (Assuming they make that mistake).

slaze said:
obsolete said:

Allright, alpha in 5

slaze said:
Yeah we've played the "what about the long term" to CDZ about the 4 v 2 alliance so we haven't lost all hope though I wouldn't say negotiatings a hot topic between us/them right now.

obsolete said:
Ok I really need to get to sleep now. Here's the current power graph if it helps any vs carthage.

Envoy received from Team Mavericks:

Dear People of Kingdom Merlot,

In regards for the chat that our nations are planing, I would be available to do that this coming weekend. I live in NYC so ET us (gmt+5) is my time zone, let me know when can we meet up online.

Ahmedhadzi
Junior Diplomat of team Mavericks

All of Merlot has been very joyous knowing how productive our relationship is.

For the benefit of both our great nations in the constant struggle against the 4-way alliance, we request that you research Code of Laws, Currency and Civil Service. Code of Laws will allow you to employ the Caste System, where you may benefit by choosing to get a Great Merchant. In turn, you can use this great person to achieve Civil Service.

I am sure that you will recognize that Civil Service is very useful because it grants the civic of bureaucracy, a civic which can be useful to both our empires.

These choices of technology will allow us to have a much better rate of research for future technologies. Since we are outnumbered by many foes, it may be wise to attempt to maintain some technological supremacy or at the least equality.

Sir Snaker8

Maybe these slight changes:

we 'ask' rather than 'request': I think sounds less formal.

re Caste System. change ' where you have a very good chance in choosing a Great Merchant'

Thank you for your comments Hercules. This is however, the diplomatic archives, and reserved only for displaying messages. If you have any feedback, please post in the Global Foyer.

Sorry to double post like this, but I wanted to make sure the post of the new letter is separate.

Version 4:
All of Merlot has been very joyous knowing how productive our relationship is. We all envision, and know that it is possible, that our two empires may act in sync for researching. Working as an united team, instead of two separate nations, will aid us both in overcoming future obstacles (as well as current ones).

Our King has a plan that our nation may research machinery (for defence and progress toward optics). Then in turn the Mavericks research code of laws for the purpose of using caste system, so that they may make a merchant. After which, Merlot will research compass, followed by the Mavericks researching currency and “bulb” civil service. Merlot will then research optics and astronomy.

If you do not want to use the “merchant bulb”, our King still has a plan to hopefully satisfy both parties. Like before, we will research machinery, and then the Mavericks research Code of Laws. We will then research civil service, since our rate of research is faster. The Mavericks are then to proceed by researching currency and compass, and we then research optics and astronomy.

It is to be noted in particular that it is imperative we obtain astronomy soon. Astronomy is extremely vital to the survival and prosperity of our civilizations, and so it would be wise to progress towards it.

These choices of technology (or more specifically, the order in which they are) will allow us to have a much better rate of research for future technologies. Since we are outnumbered by many foes, it may be wise to attempt to remain as close as possible in technology.

If you have any thoughts or opinions on any of the matters discussed, please feel free to share with us.

Sir Snaker8

A response has been received from Team Mavericks:

To team Merlot,

I will put this request in team forum and try to get you answer ASAP.

Ahmedhadzi
Junior Diplomat
Team Mavericks

A response has been received from Team CDZ:

Dear Team MerlotMavericks,

we couldn't convince ourselves enough to break our current deals. Although we agree that this game turned kind of boring, we'd like to have a clean sheet concerning our reputation w.r.t. to our tech alliance.

Good luck and have fun,
Team CDZ

Top Bottom