SGOTM 13 - TNT thread

well i think we kind a need to discuss MM and scouting.. i think i will call it a day for today..?

settling on postion 4 seems golden
Fabulous!! That is the best spot and makes our first city placement a winner, too. :goodjob: No regrets! :D

@ fiz - that is fine, so I assume you'll upload the game file then? Did you try uploading a screenshot? It might be fixed....

cannot upload the save here... ill just store it on the hard drive for now, ill send it to keath in email, so we have a backup of it.

Now we could really use some better chat program than just posting in this forum. I'll just say one more thing. If we had been Creative, then I would probably agree to setting on position 4. But as it is, it will be many turns before this city will get border expansion, so I think settling so that we get both fish and stone in inner circle is better. Remember that we're building a WB in Elba next turn. That WB can improve the fish just 2 turns later. This will allow city #2 to grow until the worker has improved the stone hill with a mine (we don't have Masonry yet, but a mine will give equal production).

yeah, i know, 1e from "4" is FAST! seems good. i will need some time for a proper PPP now, i think i will play it on wednesday if thats ok?

chat:

skype, messenger, or even screensharing is fine with me.

@-jj- I hadn't seen the position yet. Now I have the screenshots and see the situation. It looks like just beside position 4 ne of the stone is the only choice.

@fiz - Is that where you would settle, too?

postion "4" is 1N from stone Grassland hill ( according to post #293, and to my not very well amrked map)

Sorry, what is "position 4?"

"Position 4" is the grassland tile due north of the stone hill. (I called it "4" in the map picture discussion possible Galley moves.) It's clearly either N or NE of the stone hill - we just have to think about it a bit. My gut feeling says NE of stone.

yeah, i know, 1e from "4" is FAST! seems good. i will need some time for a proper PPP now, i think i will play it on wednesday if thats ok?

We should have the plan ready by Wednesday, that sounds great.

EDIT: double crosspost! :p

By the way, this is a totally minor and insignificant point, but the Settler should offload onto the stone hill, and the warrior should move onto the jungle next turn. There is ludicrously little that the warrior could reveal to make me want to settle on that jungle instead of NE of stone, but since the possibility is non-zero, we should keep our options open.

OK. It seems we already have a winner. This locks the position of the city on the north end of this island. By doing so there are 2 tiles we cannot reach (which could have been reached otherwise), but I guess that's OK.

Btw the Settler should ofc go ashore this very turn and found the city the next turn.

And I see we can trade with Victoria. I think we should give her a Clam, if she doesn't have it. Diplomacy is my main strength (I guess), and giving excess resources early always pays off later.

EDIT: We also have to calculate when the Warrior is needed in Elba. Until then, we should maximize using it as a scout, moving it around with the Galley.

Actually, I guess there's a non-zero chance of barb 2NE of our future city, so the warrior shouldn't scout before the settler founds the city.

OK. It seems we already have a winner. This locks the position of the city on the north end of this island. By doing so there are 2 tiles we cannot reach (which could have been reached otherwise), but I guess that's OK.

Btw the Settler should ofc go ashore this very turn and found the city the next turn.

And I see we can trade with Victoria. I think we should give her a Clam, if she doesn't have it. Diplomacy is my main strength (I guess), and giving excess resources early always pays off later.

EDIT: We also have to calculate when the Warrior is needed in Elba. Until then, we should maximize using it as a scout, moving it around with the Galley.
Agreed about the diplo. Give Vicki the chowder, we have lots.

A second galley should be next? We wouldn't want to lose any clams.
Good idea with the warrior. Scouting the western 2-tile island would be good, too.

The warrior could be eventually be dropped off on the north island in prep for a settlement then he can fog bust and clear the barb possibility. Maybe build a quick galley/warrior in Elba?

Lots of time to discuss, but it's great that we have a few of us onto this now.

Way to go, fizbankovi! :goodjob:

Actually, I guess there's a non-zero chance of barb 2NE of our future city, so the warrior shouldn't scout before the settler founds the city.

Good point.

The warrior could be eventually be dropped off on the north island in prep for a settlement then he can fog bust and clear the barb possibility. Maybe build a quick galley/warrior in Elba?

Well, if I don't miscalculate happiness right now, we need the Warrior in Elba at turn 69, if we follow our current plan. Also, our current plan builds WB3 next turn (for the fish), then another WB (for exploring - very much needed now), inbetween WB3 and WB4 we whip Granary, and then after WB4 we have grown to max size and building a Settler. This seems quite optimal to me, and I think we can risk waiting with that second Galley a bit more. Founding cities will also help warn us of incomming barbarian Galleys.

Victoria already has both of our resourses
Well, our intentions were good. :lol:

The work boat build seems like a natural to get our new city rolling. In some earlier practice games, barb galleys did show up around now, iirc. So we'd go wb3 -> wb4(part) -> granary -> wb4(done) -> settler in Elba while building lh in new city? That takes us to turn 75 with 9 turns left on a settler. It's great for REXing but does anyone fear a barbarian raid?

jj, yes the warrior will have to return to Elba, for sure.

The work boat build seems like a natural to get our new city rolling. In some earlier practice games, barb galleys did show up around now, iirc. So we'd go wb3 -> wb4(part) -> granary -> wb4(done) -> settler in Elba while building lh in new city? That takes us to turn 75 with 9 turns left on a settler. It's great for REXing but does anyone fear a barbarian raid?

I think we are quite safe for some more turns, but I might be wrong. I didn't have any barb Galley showing up in my test games (they all ended around turns 70-75), but again I might have been lucky.

Btw I didn't get any answer to my question whether people want to see my extended map of our surroundings? (I had made it before fiz posted his protest, but then he sort of recanted it.) fiz - since we'va already started using it, how about we use it to its full extent this time, and then next time we can make an informed decision about its use?

Keath - I just noticed we joined civfanatics on the same month! :p

I think we are quite safe for some more turns, but I might be wrong. I didn't have any barb Galley showing up in my test games (they all ended around turns 70-75), but again I might have been lucky.

Btw I didn't get any answer to my question whether people want to see my extended map of our surroundings? (I had made it before fiz posted his protest, but then he sort of recanted it.) fiz - since we'va already started using it, how about we use it to its full extent this time, and then next time we can make an informed decision about its use?

Keath - I just noticed we joined civfanatics on the same month! :p
Yeah, way back in 2003! Coincidences are great, eh?

About the mapping, I say YES. We are in a race with other teams who will be doing that too. I think there are worse 'on the edge' exploits but this one is an in game feature. :mischief:

Top Bottom