Raging barbarians and animals

Alzara

Emperor
Hey guys

Just wondering, does raging barbarians or barbarian world affect the number of animals that spawn? Which options are best to use (aside from wildlands) if you want a lot of animals?

Al

Hey guys

Just wondering, does raging barbarians or barbarian world affect the number of animals that spawn? Which options are best to use (aside from wildlands) if you want a lot of animals?

Al

I've only played one game so I'm not sure about how everything works, but barbarian world starts with barbarian cities already present and animals don't have cities. They do have some kind of nests though so I don't know if those count.

The nests are referred to as Lairs, and they are automatically spread on the map unless you select the "No Lairs" option.

Starting with Barbarian World means some areas of the map contain cultural borders at the beginning, so it reduces the space available for Lairs and Animals to spawn in.

Also, Barbarians and Animals both count against the total limit for how many barbarians may be in the game at a time (based on number of tiles not revealed by any player), thus having Barbarian World selected means there are Barb cities, and thus Barb defenders, and there will be fewer available slots for animals to occupy in that limit.

Raging Barbarian's ought to be a safe option to have and not affect your number of animals available directly, but I am not entirely certain what this option affects quite yet. I except that it makes the Barbarian's more likely to attack, which means animals would attack more often, and thus die to the AI scouts frequently. It could also make it so that each barbarian city is able to produce units quicker, which would mean once again you are filling the available slots with Barbarians instead of Animals.

So for the most possible animals, avoid Barbarian World for certain. Raging Barbarians may be safe, but is quite unlikely to result in MORE animals, and fairly likely to result in fewer; thus you probably ought to avoid it as well to improve your chances.

I was under the impression that Raging Barbs also made barbs come sooner, therefore the animals start disappearing sooner.

A good way to get lots of animals is use a map script that places them at the start. The ones by 'Sto' are great scripts with many options.

Raging Barbarians causes (on normal speed) a massive number of barbarians to spawn around turn 125-150. The game will be relatively quiet, and then at some point (if you are unlucky) 3 stacks of five Warriors will simultaneously appear at your borders. THAT is Raging Barbarians.

Raging Barbarians causes (on normal speed) a massive number of barbarians to spawn around turn 125-150. The game will be relatively quiet, and then at some point (if you are unlucky) 3 stacks of five Warriors will simultaneously appear at your borders. THAT is Raging Barbarians.

Yes, it is dependent on game speed, but it also depends on the number of cities (not including barb, I think) that are settled. If the AI goes expansion-happy, you can expect to see the real barbs sooner.

For example, in an Epic speed game, usually you would get until around turn 200 for the barbs to start raging. However, in my last game they came in turn 150. I already had 3 cities then (one a captured barb city) and the AI built a few each too.

I think xienwolf, as usual, gave some very sound advice, but honestly, the game is such that if you don't round up your animals for your carnival by the time the raging barbs show up, you are SOL. I see only Bears and Elephants after that. Nature's Revolt might help a bit as well as that new special event, but you need to act fast to capture animals in FFH2 now.

I know what raging barbs are like. Try stacks of 20 or 30 on the super sized maps I use LOL.

Xienwolf your logic makes sense. I'm gonna go with that :)

Although I love raging barbarians and barbarian world, my race to writing tends to stunt my ability to capture animals. I've only ever built the grand menagerie once so I want to see it again :)

Thanks

Al

I have altered the "Handicap.xml" file to achieve a start with lots of animals. It allows you to change the #animals per hidden square. I changed the Monarch difficulty value for animals from 1 animal per 25 to 1 per 10 and barbs from 1 per 30 to 1 per 20. On a Huge (36x30) map, at Epic speed with 19 opponents, animals are around for a good 300-400 turns. I have even seen bear dens in the frozen wastes up until turn 520.

If you want a lot of animals and free land, you should take a bigger map, but ai will expand anyway at gets hunters very fast.
Another way to limit ais expansion is to make an advanced start with not too many starting points and check the option no settlers. You can add more ai to compensate but there should be still lots of untouched land.

Build wonder called Nature revolt and have group of Rangers (or equal UU units) by that time :
(used with Fall Further Fall Further modmod by Vehem)

Top Bottom