black pedia icon?

Theov

Deity
Can someone explain what I'm missing here?
I did everything right, there's 2 pedia files in the PediaIcons .txt file, I added these files into the folder. The pictures are not black, they are a picture.
So why is it showing a black picture then??

It should work now, as I have quick testet it in CIV as Apollosmall. ;)

I have used Irfanview.
- select menu "Image"
- select "Information"
- set Resolution to 32 x 32 DPI

Attachments

• Berninghaus Chair Small.pcx
    1.9 KB · Views: 135
Theov - Not sure what the problem is, but the pcx file you attached is indexed correctly and works fine in-game for me. It's possible if it appears black in your game that you might have a text error in your pediaicons or civilopedia entries.

Not really sure what the purpose of changing the DPI would be and how that would somehow "fix" the pcx... :confused:

Theovs picture was black in my civ too.

And I had several pedia pictures with wrong colors or resolutions, that were black and that I had corrected with Irfanview based on the information of the working pedia pictures.

Thanks a lot!

This one I just added is black too. This is the last one that doesn't show up - I'm adding a time machine to my mod that replaces the space ship. Everything works and is set only this little guy doesn't show up.

I think the problem is the same as with the Tribe unit - that it's not indexed with the right colors.

I tried to follow the instructions that were given earlier with the Tribe pic, but I never see the pallette that I can adjust in GIMP.
thanks again.

View attachment Minkowski Cage small.pcx

And you reduced also the number of colors to 256. ;)

Left Theov, right Laurana

Maybe Irfanview makes also automatically the Index (what ever it is :confused: ) when reducing colors or DPI?

Kirejara - Like I said above the Minkowski Cage wasn't indexed at all, it was still in RGB (16.7 mil colors) - Civ can only display properly indexed images. However, the previous pcx, Berninghaus Chair, was properly indexed so there shouldn't have been a problem with that one (Don't know why it was showing black for you guys). As I said before DPI really has no relevance to Civ - it's generally used to determine the quality of an image if it's "printed" (Often the default resolution in graphics programs is set to 300dpi for printing and 72dpi for display). When indexing you're compressing the number of colors into a set amount (256 for Civ) and storing that info in a palette. As far as I'm aware Irfanview cannot index an image directly, but I believe you can import a palette and make adjustments to the color array.

Theov - I use Photoshop, although I'm familiar with GIMP. What kind of issue exactly are you having with GIMP? That guide I linked above from Kyriakos is fairly comprehensive for basic palette work.

Kirejara - Like I said above the Minkowski Cage wasn't indexed at all, it was still in RGB (16.7 mil colors) - Civ can only display properly indexed images. However, the previous pcx, Berninghaus Chair, was properly indexed so there shouldn't have been a problem with that one (Don't know why it was showing black for you guys). As I said before DPI really has no relevance to Civ - it's generally used to determine the quality of an image if it's "printed" (Often the default resolution in graphics programs is set to 300dpi for printing and 72dpi for display). When indexing you're compressing the number of colors into a set amount (256 for Civ) and storing that info in a palette. As far as I'm aware Irfanview cannot index an image directly, but I believe you can import a palette and make adjustments to the color array.

Theov - I use Photoshop, although I'm familiar with GIMP. What kind of issue exactly are you having with GIMP? That guide I linked above from Kyriakos is fairly comprehensive for basic palette work.
I get stuck at the palette part - I use a different version than he does I think. I don't see where I can change the 2 last colors.
I'd like to be able to make my own (wondersplash) images too.

I get stuck at the palette part - I use a different version than he does I think. I don't see where I can change the 2 last colors.
I'd like to be able to make my own (wondersplash) images too.

Well, his is in Greek! :lol:

If the GIMP colormap doesn't show up when you open an indexed image or after you index an RGB image go to the Windows>Dockable Dialogs drop down menu and select Colormap. From there you can change the color by HTML color code notation or through the color selection tool/edit colormap entry.

Top Bottom