Which Native american civilization would work best in Civ V?

Haig

Deity
When/if a new expansion is here, one of the new civilizations could be a native american civ.

As we didn't get just Vikings like in previous civs to represent scandinavia, we've got both Denmark and Sweden.
Also we have Iroquois instead of just Native americans.

So I'm asking which new nat.American civ would make sense the most and work best?

There's already a city-state called Cahokia, but I have no idea about their history.
Apache, cherokee and sioux spring to mind as big names but I'm not that well into their history to know big differences.

I think requirements for a new civ should be a famous leader and personal unique skills and units.
Generally native americans bring to mind feathered headgear, teepee tents, totems etc. but from where do they originate?

The Iroquois are already in the game. Or do you mean a second?

Yeah if for example new expansion would include another.
As I don't know much about their history I'm wondering which would be the most "iconic" nation with good choices for unique unit/building/ability etc.

There are pros and cons for any tribe in Civ V.

Here's my top 5:

Comanche

Pros: well known, had the largest territory of post-Columbian North America
Cons: no stand out leader, few real "city" locations

Sioux:

Pros: best known, well known leader
Cons: few real "city" locations

Anasazi:

Pros: known cities, impressive structures
Cons: no known leaders

Mississipian:

Pros: known cities, impressive earthworks
Cons: no known leaders from the major polities at the height of their power, no collective name

Cherokee:
Pros: known cities, recorded history, known leaders
Cons: too similar to Iroquois

The Pueblo are well known, as too are the Toltec, the Lakota, the Ojibawe, the Spokane/Cor'de Lane, the Cheyenne, the Arawak (which Columbus met in the Caribean) and a variety of others.

Native Americans can technically include any group indigenous to the Americas, so there's a wide spectrum available, really.

I'm not entirely sure of which would overlap with the Iroquios. The Mohawk I would imagine would (being that they appear as the UU for the Iroquios).

And Cahokia being a CS is no big deal: the Vatican (religious CS) is inside of Rome's capital city, Hanoi (militaristic CS) was once under French rule, Jerusalem (religious CS) was a part of a variety of empires in the game. So a CS being present doesn't exclude any group from appearing at all.

I would put my bet on Sioux. They're veterans of the series, and unique enough from the Iroquois. However, the main problem would be distinguishing their playstyle from the Mongols of the Huns.

Top 5:

1. Comanche [Largest territory of any native civilization in North America and had a powerful war machine and many sites and leaders to choose from]
2. Pueblo/Anasazi/Hohokam/O'odham or whatever title people want to use
3. Sioux (Grudgingly have the best chance)
4. I would love a South American Civ (Chachapoya, Moche, Nazca, really anything, but odds are low)
5. Cherokee would have decent odds too
6. Of any Mesoamerican civs, only the Toltec I think would have a shot. That being said, they have no shot.

Really I think if we see another native American civ it would be down to the Comanche, Sioux, or Pueblo. Although there are plenty of other candidates that I didn't name here

Most likely it will be the Comanche (A civ as well known as the Sioux and would fill a similar niche) or the Sioux

I'd love to see Inuit. After all, snow tiles are still at this point, even with G&K, practically worthless, and an Inuit civ could make snow/ice/tundra something playable.

All we really have at this point is one belief (for tundra) and one unit (Norwegian Ski Infantry) as far as snow.

I reckon the Sioux (including the Lakota, Dakota, etc.) are the most likely to be included in the next expansion, simply because they have already appeared as a playable civ in a previous game (Civ 2 - and Sitting Bull was also the leader of the 'Native American' civ in Civ IV) and also because they are one of the best known/most familiar Native American groups to people, even outside the USA. However, I think that the Cherokee, Mississippians, Pueblo, Inuit and Apache (or Navajo) are also worthy candidates for inclusion too.

Also, perhaps we could see some more native civs from South and Central America? For example: the Olmecs, Zapotecs (or Mixtecs) and Tarascans from Mesoamerica, and the Muisca/Chibchas, Chimu (or Moche), Chachapoya, and Mapuche from South America?

Realistically, chances are we'll only see one or two more added at most from each region officially, but at least there's a talented modding community here who can pick up the slack.

Inuit would be fun, as long as it wasn't a complete gimmick. I'd imagine the UA would need to be something like +1 hammer on all worked ocean tiles or something to do with ocean tiles, else there would still be little to no incentive to settle near snow areas. It would also be something that could carry over to other cities, so you are not restricted to snow areas, too.

That UA would be a lot of fun no matter what Civ it was thrown on. Getting a good coastal start with sea resources, God of the Sea pantheon, and you have a city that can rival even the best of non-coastal starts.

Inuits would be fun, especially since it could allow more use of ice and tundra. Exploiting sea resources (whales, fish, ..) is one aspect, but extra bonuses for deer/reindeer and furs could also work well for inuit (tribes) not close to the coast.

Very rough idea: Gameplay-wise another interesting aspect that has potential for fun (and possible UA) might be the more traditionalist approach of inuit/inuit-related tribes where they've been slower to adopt modern technology. Maybe let foreign units get a -25% penalty in inuit lands due to the inhospitable climate, until inuits have researched the technology (and figured out how it works in inhospitable climate).

If there is a civil war scenario in our future, it is possible that both the Sioux and Comanche could be in it and added as civs because both were active during the civil war.

If the Cherokee are added, I think they would also add city names or attributes from the other nations in the 5 Tribes, as well as the Cahokia mound builders, since the Cherokee are descended from that culture. I can see a mound fort UB, and a UA dealing with Research Agreements and trade, since the Cherokee maintained good relations with the United States until removal.

Having just played a game involving the Aztecs where they have settled 5 cities of their own, i don't think any native american civilization can work in CiV 5.

I also thought Teotihuacan was a bit of an odd one for the Aztecs to have but Tlaxcala? Are you actually kidding me? That's the equivalent of England settling the city of Paris. Tlaxcala was never a part of the Aztec empire and remained in more or less a constant state of war with them...

Now I'm still a proponent of more native american civs, but at this point they might as well take anyone because clearly they aren't out to represent or respect their history and they just want to slap on a name and flavour regardless of its accuracy. None of them will work best in CiV 5 though.

Having just played a game involving the Aztecs ...

Ahh.... nuts....

And I wanted to be the first to point out the game already had more than one native american tribe.

...England settling the city of Paris ...

More like Belfast. Of course Paris was an English city for a while wasn't it? Or was London a French city? So hard to keep these things straight.

I'd love to see Inuit. After all, snow tiles are still at this point, even with G&K, practically worthless, and an Inuit civ could make snow/ice/tundra something playable.

Me too :)

Unique Ability :

Travelers : +1 :c5gold: earned from trapping ressources.

Unique building :

Igloo : +2 :c5food: and +25% growth if city is near a toundra or ice tile. Replace the granary.

Unique unit :

Polar bear killer : +1 move on ice/toundra tiles. +10% flanking bonus. Replace the spearman.

My bet would be on Sioux and Comanche as well, both are distinct enough from each other and from the Iroqouis.

I find it hard for another mesoamerican to make it, but they have tons of CS to choose from to add flavor.

South America and the Caribbean sure could use more representation as well, but I dont know much about the culture in those areas.

You forget the Maya and the Aztecs. I think Native America is fairly well covered.

What I would do, however, is add the Cree. In the Industrial Age that basically becomes Canada. Somebody already did a mod that adds Canada.

Ahh.... nuts....

And I wanted to be the first to point out the game already had more than one native american tribe.

More like Belfast. Of course Paris was an English city for a while wasn't it? Or was London a French city? So hard to keep these things straight.

I appreciate your sarcasm :goodjob:

I know it wasn't the best of examples (neither is Belfast really). I did of course say 'settling', so my wording has unwittingly outwitted you. ;)

I'm just a little disappointed because above all it seems a bit lazy. No need to start a cat-fight though.

Top Bottom