How to beat scenario world wonders on deity?

Calz

Chieftain
The AI got the oracle in 26 turns, I'm sorry but what? I had 9 turns left and had produced a monument before hand to get the culture buff which took 7 turns, so even if I did not build this I wouldn't have nabbed it.

I settled on marble so +15% production, and nabbed the social policy which gives +15% production. So it would have normally finished on turn 35, how the hell did the AI get it so quick?

Oracle? Don't you mean great library? or are you playing quick speed?

This is a specific scenario, it's called wonders of the ancient world. You have to try and get as many wonders as possible, the oracle can be built off the bat for 250 production (standard speed). All other wonders are unlocked through special requirements, such as xp,GPT,culture and tech. For example, you need 1,500 culture to START builiding one of the wonders.

Has no one played them ?

Well I did it a little cheesy, so my strategy may not be as useful if you find my methods very exploity. From your experience, I figure you went with the random map?

Anyway I played the historical map with Egypt. I moved my settler to the red sea coast so I can build all wonders (this is a major part of the strategy), also more hills. On the northern tip of the red sea there is always a luxury (that is within capital working tiles if you buy tiles). I just rerolled until that luxury was marble. I first built a monument and then straight for oracle (oracle is safer and has the benefit of letting you spy on the wonder progress but it is not a major part of the strategy - although if I do miss it it would probably start again, and maybe not purse it entirely). Once I was 3 pop high I just focused on production.
With my warrior I started Scouting north East along the Mediterranean coast to get the 4-5 city states first. Used the money from them to purchase a scout and the necessary tiles to add marble. On the way back I stole a worker from the closest CS and never made peace with them. The marble was improved ASAP of course. I further used that CS for XP farm in order to unlock the military Great Wonders. The scout was used to get the ruins from the Sahara desert and get the CS on the corner of the map. Further money from ruins and barb camps were used to buy more workers and a settler I think.
After Oracle I would expand with a second city on a nice growth position. I don't remember my number of cities but I think it was 3.
Egypt has a bonus for culture, so managed to grab a culture wonder. On most tries the wonderwhore was Persia so that meant the coast wonders were up for grabs (this is why I settled on the read sea coast - I just couldn't complete by building wonders in other cities). I build just enough military to get the pesky barbs and when units had the max promotions from barbs I sent them to the CS to farm more XP. I used the GGs to consult the oracle. I think I also got a scientist which was used to get a tech after consulting the oracle. I also bribed Civs to go to war with each other so that I would delay the wonder production (mostly to make sure that Persia does not get all the wonders that I don't get -they needed to get at most 3). With the Oracle (that actually gives less Victory Points) and 3 other Wonders you should have enough, unless Persia builds 4 or more wonders, but that rarely happens, they always miss some, the greatest challenge is to build your own wonders.
SP wise I went tradition for the bonus in wonders and free culture buildings (very important helping with the culture wonder).

My strategy is fairly weak and involves a bit of luck even after re-rolling to get marble. You need to get all the coast wonders, and the wonders should be distributed to 2-3 other civs. I know the best strategies don't include building the oracle since it delays your initial expansions quite a lot, and does not give so many points. Egypt has the best position since it has all that desert ruins for itself and can safely delay a scout. Also the AI attacking you is never a real threat. The AI will DOW you but usually 3-4 units can defend from whatever it throws at you.

Well I did it a little cheesy, so my strategy may not be as useful if you find my methods very exploity. From your experience, I figure you went with the random map?

Anyway I played the historical map with Egypt. I moved my settler to the red sea coast so I can build all wonders (this is a major part of the strategy), also more hills. On the northern tip of the red sea there is always a luxury (that is within capital working tiles if you buy tiles). I just rerolled until that luxury was marble. I first built a monument and then straight for oracle (oracle is safer and has the benefit of letting you spy on the wonder progress but it is not a major part of the strategy - although if I do miss it it would probably start again, and maybe not purse it entirely). Once I was 3 pop high I just focused on production.
With my warrior I started Scouting north East along the Mediterranean coast to get the 4-5 city states first. Used the money from them to purchase a scout and the necessary tiles to add marble. On the way back I stole a worker from the closest CS and never made peace with them. The marble was improved ASAP of course. I further used that CS for XP farm in order to unlock the military Great Wonders. The scout was used to get the ruins from the Sahara desert and get the CS on the corner of the map. Further money from ruins and barb camps were used to buy more workers and a settler I think.
After Oracle I would expand with a second city on a nice growth position. I don't remember my number of cities but I think it was 3.
Egypt has a bonus for culture, so managed to grab a culture wonder. On most tries the wonderwhore was Persia so that meant the coast wonders were up for grabs (this is why I settled on the read sea coast - I just couldn't complete by building wonders in other cities). I build just enough military to get the pesky barbs and when units had the max promotions from barbs I sent them to the CS to farm more XP. I used the GGs to consult the oracle. I think I also got a scientist which was used to get a tech after consulting the oracle. I also bribed Civs to go to war with each other so that I would delay the wonder production (mostly to make sure that Persia does not get all the wonders that I don't get -they needed to get at most 3). With the Oracle (that actually gives less Victory Points) and 3 other Wonders you should have enough, unless Persia builds 4 or more wonders, but that rarely happens, they always miss some, the greatest challenge is to build your own wonders.
SP wise I went tradition for the bonus in wonders and free culture buildings (very important helping with the culture wonder).

My strategy is fairly weak and involves a bit of luck even after re-rolling to get marble. You need to get all the coast wonders, and the wonders should be distributed to 2-3 other civs. I know the best strategies don't include building the oracle since it delays your initial expansions quite a lot, and does not give so many points. Egypt has the best position since it has all that desert ruins for itself and can safely delay a scout. Also the AI attacking you is never a real threat. The AI will DOW you but usually 3-4 units can defend from whatever it throws at you.

Thank you I shall try this, I still am unsure on how to actual get the oracle first, I'm beaten to it every time :/. But I shall try this!

I just started a Game with Egypt marble and the Oralce went on turn 40. I was 6 turns in but I could have done it if I skipped the monument. That may help, since legalism will provide a free one, and you will most likely get a culture ruin with all those ruins laying around.

I just started a Game with Egypt marble and the Oralce went on turn 40. I was 6 turns in but I could have done it if I skipped the monument. That may help, since legalism will provide a free one, and you will most likely get a culture ruin with all those ruins laying around.

Aha, any ideas on how the heck the AI acquired it at turn 26? I was supposed to get the oracle on turn 36 I can provide a screenshot if wanted.

But I just simply don't understand, your example says turn 40 which is realistic, however I don't know what happened. I'll try again with skipping the monument

Who did it? Persia, the Hittites? Are you playing the same turn 0 save over and over? Maybe the RNG gave a super nice start to someone. In that case I would suggest just starting again with another game. If you just roll the random inland sea map a rival civ might get a really good start and you just can't compete, but sometimes even the historical map can give a super start for someone. Even if you conquer the wonders it won't work because the way the scenario works is that you get some points from building the wonder and some from owning it. When you conquer a wonder you only steal the points from owning it, the points from building the wonder can never be taken from the original builder (and the proportion is not 50-50, you get more points for building a wonder than for owning it). On a "normal" map turn 35-45 is the time for Oracle from what I remember.

Regarding my save. I restarted from turn 0 and started on the oracle right away. I got it at turn 40 (without Aristocracy), but the mighty Egyptian empire consists of a size 2 city. I have Legalism so culture output is ok. Oracle really compensated for lack of early culture. I hoped to get a population ruin but did not get one. Maybe the start compromised the game, since the capital is so small, I don't know. I still have some scouting to do, maybe a population ruin will help recover some of the distance.

Who did it? Persia, the Hittites? Are you playing the same turn 0 save over and over? Maybe the RNG gave a super nice start to someone. In that case I would suggest just starting again with another game. If you just roll the random inland sea map a rival civ might get a really good start and you just can't compete, but sometimes even the historical map can give a super start for someone. Even if you conquer the wonders it won't work because the way the scenario works is that you get some points from building the wonder and some from owning it. When you conquer a wonder you only steal the points from owning it, the points from building the wonder can never be taken from the original builder (and the proportion is not 50-50, you get more points for building a wonder than for owning it). On a "normal" map turn 35-45 is the time for Oracle from what I remember.

Regarding my save. I restarted from turn 0 and started on the oracle right away. I got it at turn 40 (without Aristocracy), but the mighty Egyptian empire consists of a size 2 city. I have Legalism so culture output is ok. Oracle really compensated for lack of early culture. I hoped to get a population ruin but did not get one. Maybe the start compromised the game, since the capital is so small, I don't know. I still have some scouting to do, maybe a population ruin will help recover some of the distance.

Using maths I worked out that building the monument only hinders you by 1/2 turns if you grab the culture policy which gives +15% to building wonders. So I will try doing this, and try for a marble start on inland sea.

I generally sell my open borders for 200 gold (50 from each civ). I buy a scout or 2. Then I snatch a worker, any devolpments on that?

Thanks!

That is actually a pretty good idea. Try this, a worker can help early on, buy you should beeline masonry if you went for marble start.

Pottery is pretty good as a first choice in general because you get access to granary, but if you don't plan on getting an early granary go for Mining and Masonry (assuming marble start). Masonry is required so you can improve the marble, and get wonders faster. Mining also helps with production.

If you use gold to get a worker early on you will want to improve the marble first to get the bonus, but if you want to use gold to get a granary you can research pottery first and then go for masonry.

I continued the save I was talking about earlier, and the game was done by turn 120. I lost with 3 wonders: Oracle, Statue of Zeus and Great Lighthouse. I did not unlock any other wonder in time, the Greeks built the Colossus (which I was aiming for), and Persia built 4 wonders. The Hittites built the last one. Even with the Colossus I would not have won since Oracle gives you less points than the others. I guess you need a bit of luck so that no civ will build a lot of wonders; preferably the wonders will be split with all your opponents. I can't see how you can conquer wonders. I actually tried to march my army to attack the Persian capital when I realized I was losing but the game ended too soon. The conclusion is that the game ends fast, and you either manage to build 4 wonders (which may be pretty tough) or build 3 and get lucky. You need to consider each building, if it will pay off in this time frame because the game might be over by the time a building will start to pay off.

I guess I was pretty lucky when I did this the first time, since now I cannot repeat it that easily.

So, in my game I grabbed the oracle first this time wohooo. I got DoWed by 2 civs, they didn't bring anything to attack me...?

I was Egypt so i got the bonus +1 culture from every building which provides culture.

With 2 cities and the oracle I was making 17 culture per turn. I went straight for the pyramids as soon as it was opened up, but i was beaten by Alexander- what? How'd this happen????

Did he get it from a city state ally? Because there is no way possible you could be beating my culture as I had the oracle which provides +3 culture (4 as I was Egypt) +4 from the 2 monuments etc. I don't understand. I then lost, with only the oracle to show for coming in last place :/

After a few reties, I think getting Oracle is not a very good strategy since it may be very random if you actually win. As Egypt expand to 4 cities ASAP instead, and get legalism, so you have a solid chance on cultural wonders. Buld military and unlock the military wonders. You don't need to go to war with any civ, just dow a city state, with 3-4 chariots sieging a CS you will get both wonders easily. With 4 wonders, you will be very unlucky to lose.

One thing that helps expanding early is selling everything you got for lump gold to an AI and declaring war immediately after. Do this with all AIs on the same turn so you get the best deals, you can get a couple of free settlers out of it. If you play the historical map the AI is never really a threat. They will all propose peace eventually and you can do it again when the peace deals expire.

Top Bottom