(G&K) Abundant Resources?

Tiber4321

Prince
Recently, I've tried playing with the abundant resources option. This, because I'm sick of having an entire continent with no coal or minimal aluminum, etc.

Would you consider this a cheat? You get a lot of gold and production from the extra resources, but the AI gets that as well, correct?

Any other thoughts on playing with abundant resources?

I don't consider it cheating as it's an option in the game.

But I think abundant just means you get more yields of a resource, and it doesn't mean you get additional resources.

Abudan Resources means there's more copies of said resources, and there more tiles covered with a resource, I also DO think that youare more likely to see abundant strategic resources as well.

Why would this be a cheat? It's not like you get more ressources only for yourself, it's for everyone. I like playing legendary starts, it minimizes the times I have to restart because I am in the middle of the tundra...

If you want to compare yourself to other people, then it's certainly a bit "problematic" and something that you should mention in a discussion. Don't see how a game-option would be considered cheating though, I'd rather say it's tailoring the game towards your preferences. And in the end, even if others considered it cheating, so what? You're playing to have fun, not to "validate" yourself, so why would you even care?

Im guessing you want to take it easy by adding abundant resources and that's fine. It would be like turning off barbarians and does someone consider turning off barbarians cheating? No.

I wouldn't say its a cheat but not having access to every resource is closer to reality. The reason for so many wars in the 19th-20th centuries was Empires trying to gain control over valuable sources of coal, iron ore & oil etc...
I'd just go back to the normal setting and if you need a resource go and conquer someone to steal it, ally a citystate or buy it from an AI - that is part of civilization and allows you to roleplay for instance having to change your peaceful strategy to conquer a city to get a source of coal....
Anyway the whole point of having resources in the first place is that they are not always easy to find, if they are that abundant than they may as well not exist.

I don't think it's cheating at all. It's a game option, so if you prefer to play like that, just do it. The main reason to play a game should be fun. If this would be considered cheating, then some of the mods should be considered cheating as well (I guess the same people would call it exactly the same...). Maybe you don't get bragging rights for your turn 101 science victory, but if thats not your goal anyway, who cares. Just play the game how you like it most!

I sometimes play peacful games on settler difficulty with the In Game Editor just for fun...

I wouldn't say its a cheat but not having access to every resource is closer to reality. The reason for so many wars in the 19th-20th centuries was Empires trying to gain control over valuable sources of coal, iron ore & oil etc...
I'd just go back to the normal setting and if you need a resource go and conquer someone to steal it, ally a citystate or buy it from an AI - that is part of civilization and allows you to roleplay for instance having to change your peaceful strategy to conquer a city to get a source of coal....
Anyway the whole point of having resources in the first place is that they are not always easy to find, if they are that abundant than they may as well not exist.

There are still wars over resources, even with 'abundant resources' on. I'm finding that it really didn't solve the problem of entire continents having little to no quantities of a given strategic resources. Its more that you have more of the resource in any one spot, i.e. 10 coal instead of 6, etc.

Where I think it might be an unfair advantage is in huge conquest games. It allows you to have all that extra aluminum or oil, which makes a huge difference. Having 40 bombers instead of 20 can be a game changer.

There are still wars over resources, even with 'abundant resources' on. I'm finding that it really didn't solve the problem of entire continents having little to no quantities of a given strategic resources. Its more that you have more of the resource in any one spot, i.e. 10 coal instead of 6, etc.

Where I think it might be an unfair advantage is in huge conquest games. It allows you to have all that extra aluminum or oil, which makes a huge difference. Having 40 bombers instead of 20 can be a game changer.

Having abundant uranium could be new, since giant death robots are rarely used.

I virtually always play with Abundant Resources; I'm almost positive all it does is place more luxuries around what would be normally one or two, causing 'groupings' of a certain resource.

I also think that strategic minerals have more normally, but I use Perfectworld3 for map generating so all the resources are set to 3 automatically anyways.

Top Bottom