What determine the best player in SP? Is more important final score or final turn?

Juan Sebastied

Chieftain
Hi to everyone!
First of all i have to say sorry for my bad english and i hope the title will be clear to everyone could be interessed. I'm italian and i'm not so confident with english, unfortunately to me. I write there because i think this is a fantastic place to talk about of this Game.

But i'm a little confident with this fantastic, epic game even if i profoundly playng only recently.....i actually win 100% of my game but only at level 6, so i'm not an expert player but a want to grow up my ability and knowledge of the game.

So, maybe the question is a little philosophical or abstract, but i think no. Because the choise of the "target" can affect the entire game. Indeed there are imho obviously many differences in the entire game if i play with the target of a huge final score or if i play with the target of a incredibly fast victory!
What did you think is much difficoult and much harder? To win making the higher score? Or to winning faster? (for example at turn 250?)

I believe it is who can obtain victory the earliest because your score doesn't matter if you have lost the game to some one else who obtained victory already.

Getting a higher score is very easy. Just kill all the AIs down to 1 last AI and build up to your heart's content. your score will get massive.

Obtaining victory faster is normally considered better. I believe the best SP times have been achieved by Tommynt.

Thank u very much of your fast and very reasonable answer!
I agree with you and that was my opinion too. Despite this i ask that question because i am relative new by the game and i like to compare with more expert player than me.
Can i know where and if i can find aniwhere some playng of Tommynt?
Sorry what's mean "build up to your heart's content"?:):)

Do you know Marbozir? I discover him recently. I think he is a great player. unfortunately for me my bad english does not allow me to understand him at all and so idon't have a consistent idea on him but only an impression: that is aniway very good! He aniway talk very clear and is the only player on u tube that i understand!:)

What do u think about him? Because he is someone that wins on dety but win not so faster imho.
I would not be misunderstood: i think is great! But what do u think of a player that win by domination on level 8 on turn 450 or 470?
Actually i win at turn 390-420 by domination at level 6!:)

I think if you can pull off a win in deity, then you should be happy. It doesn't matter if it's turn 300 or 500. When the guy said "build to your hearts content," he was using an English expression that means "as much as you like because no one will stop you".

Good luck with your fast victories!

I think if you can pull off a win in deity, then you should be happy. It doesn't matter if it's turn 300 or 500. When the guy said "build to your hearts content," he was using an English expression that means "as much as you like because no one will stop you".

Good luck with your fast victories!

Thank you: all clear!!:):)
I don't know if i focalize on fast victory or not...i'm thinking about this but i not make a decision. But i think i try to go up level 7 i think!

The best player is the player that can do things others cannot. So that means the following:

1) Fastest or near fastest wins with all victory types.
2) Ability to win Diety on starts where most other pretty good players would lose

The hardest things to do in this game are winning from bad lands on Diety and understanding how to win quickly with all victory models. As to who the best players are, that is always a debate and there are certainly names seen in the Diety challenges and other threads that reveal players who could legitimately claim rare skill.

Sometimes the best players can't be copied. Best players could make videos and post on youtube while other viewers won't be able to do the same thing. CIv 5 videos are so long though.

You can check out the Deity and Immortal challenges from the Strategy & Tips forums. You will see some finish times there (also how they did it). Maybe even play an Immortal (level 7) challenge and see how you do compared with others.

Thank you to all of your contributions, i think all of this contributions says true thinghs and that i share.
Is true too that not all the choice of great player can be see (and then mede) despite the fact that they are in a video....It takes intelligence and capacity too understood some vision and some choice not explicit.
"Score is just about wiping (almost) everyone..." it's very very true. It's easy when you get an advantage (by territory/technology ecc ecc) to capitalize and increase it just "using" the passage of time...if you in addiction can be propositive the advantage is easy to increase.
You convinced me that is question of time!!:):).....obiously in terms of brutal unic parameter to determine the ability. Brutal but significant of course!:)
So i will look on strategy and tips for sure!!!

You can check out the Deity and Immortal challenges from the Strategy & Tips forums. You will see some finish times there (also how they did it). Maybe even play an Immortal (level 7) challenge and see how you do compared with others.

Yeah that too.. I recently saw a Montezuma science deity win and before I saw a polynesian deity win too.. I couldn't believe them.

End of game score, not to be confused with the in-game score.

It seems to me that even end of game score is mostly meaningless.

Does not the end of game score keep going up the longer the game goes on? (Which is not how it worked for earlier Civ iterations.) Also, the score is only somewhat inflated by difficulty level. (Again, quite different from previous Civs).

How much can one really compare scores between games? Does difficulty level and approximate finish time need to be the same for score to accurately reflect the stronger game? Or can one meaningfully compare end of game score with broader parameters?

Difficulty level could really determine best players in SP. Some difficulties are clearable and videos in youtube have proven so. As for final score or turn.. I'm not sure, but final turn could be the answer because it is much more difficult to achieve. Score can be cheesed.

To those who pursue being the "best" or fastest win times: Has your enjoyment for the game dropped because of this? Has your stress level increased? Seems like it would really take the fun out of it, but I can kind of understand the tactical aspect of getting every detail right.

To those who pursue being the "best" or fastest win times: Has your enjoyment for the game dropped because of this? Has your stress level increased? Seems like it would really take the fun out of it, but I can kind of understand the tactical aspect of getting every detail right.

No. It forces you to really focus on playing well. As long as it doesn't become insane like "I didn't get a culture ruin, screw this game" mentality.

And once in a while nothing forbids you to play something more experimental.

I would argue that anyone who can manage to win a time victory on deity is incredible (particularly because that would mean you were able to prevent all the AI from winning. Probably even more impressive than a typical or even quick deity win, in my opinion. But that's just me.

Well it's like winning domination. Keep one guy with his capital alive and nuke him once in a while. Here time victory.

But that's a total domination. It's much easier to just snipe capitals, and maybe major cities.

Top Bottom