PolyCast Episode 182: "Out the Window"

DanQ

Owner, Civilized Communication
Look out below. The one-hundred-and-eighty-second episode of PolyCast, "Out the Window", features regular co-hosts Daniel "DanQ" Quick, "Makahlua", Philip "TheMeInTeam" Bellew and "MadDjinn" with returning guest co-host Dustin "Methos". Carrying a runtime of 59m59s, the summary of topics is as follows:

- 01m29s | Senate
A somewhat contentious while detailed examination of the Civilization V: Brave New World Ideology of Autocracy is followed by a compact yet comprehensive review of the game's Freedom Ideology (24m40s); then, an equally heated and definitive rundown of BNW's Order Ideology (35m07s).
- 51m41s | Open Mic
Responding to feedback on panelists' view of trades with City States versus major civilizations, the wisdom of adopting a Social Policy emphasizing Great Merchants over other Great People and when City State trading may be a player's only external route option.

- Intro/Outro | Miscellaneous
A possible games bleed and a master of the ceremony.

Recording live before a listening audience every other Saturday, PolyCast is a bi-weekly audio production in an ongoing effort to give the Civ community an interactive voice on game strategy; listeners are encouraged to follow the show on Twitter, and check out the YouTube channel for caption capability. Sibling show RevCast focuses on Civilization: Revolution, ModCast on Civ modding, SCivCast on Civ social gaming and TurnCast on Civ multiplay.

This isn't available in itunes in the US?
Unfortunately, I have been unsuccessful in getting PolyCast re-listed on iTunes in the US. :( That said, you can manually add a feed into iTunes and manage it from there then.

Hope you enjoy the show!

Unfortunately, I have been unsuccessful in getting PolyCast re-listed on iTunes in the US. :( That said, you can manually add a feed into iTunes and manage it from there then.

Hope you enjoy the show!

Manually adding it never even occurred to me. Thanks for the idea- it is working great.

Manually adding it never even occurred to me. Thanks for the idea- it is working great.
You're welcome and thanks for tuning in.

Out of curiosity, did you first learn of the show here on CFC or..?

Unless I misheard, you guys mentioned that the Freedom tenet Urbanization was +1 Happiness for every Granary, Water Mill, Aqueduct, Hospital, and Medical Lab. I thought that sounded a lot better than I remembered it. Sure enough, when I got home from work and checked, it is only listed as being for the Water Mill, Hospital and Medical Lab.

Since Water Mills are dependent on rivers, most people don't build Hospital (I confess, I do), and Medical Labs are pretty useless so late in the game, this tenet seems a lot less appealing than you made it sound.

If the Granary and Aqueduct were included, I would be much more inclined to take it.

Unless I misheard, you guys mentioned that the Freedom tenet Urbanization was +1 Happiness for every Granary, Water Mill, Aqueduct, Hospital, and Medical Lab. I thought that sounded a lot better than I remembered it. Sure enough, when I got home from work and checked, it is only listed as being for the Water Mill, Hospital and Medical Lab.

Since Water Mills are dependent on rivers, most people don't build Hospital (I confess, I do), and Medical Labs are pretty useless so late in the game, this tenet seems a lot less appealing than you made it sound.

If the Granary and Aqueduct were included, I would be much more inclined to take it.
You didn't mishear -- it was read from a source that relied on some outdated (Brave New World pre-release) information that we didn't catch :o. You're right in that it's not as strong as we describe as a result. Pardon that!

I still rank this tenant in the green of Freedom's Level 2 though, after Universal Suffrage, because of the Happiness boost to Hospitals. Hospitals require Aqueducts which can be built in all cities regardless of tile. Given Hospital's food contribution is absolute as opposed to percentage-based, to me the vast majority of cities can and should benefit from its construction and continued presence. To then get a Happiness boost on top of it with Urbanization is an added bonus. (I would also agree, however, that Medical Labs still aren't worth building -- with rare exception -- even with this tenant in mind.)

Top Bottom