Which Great Works do you want to see?

Since embedding somehow won't work for me...

Bob Dylan - The times they are a-changing
John Lennon - Imagine
Queen - Bohemian Rhapsody

Not many poetry readers here :(

(Civ: Literature, Music, Visual Art)

American: The Waste Land, Adams's Dr. Atomic, Pollock's Number 5
Brazilian: Machado de Assis's The Posthumous Memoirs of Brás Cubas, Bachianas Brasileiras No. 5, Aleijadinho's The Twelve Prophets (baroque art)
Dutch: The Praise of Folly, Heer Halewijn, The Nightwatch
English: Keats's Odes, Peter Grimes, Blake's Newton
French: Voltaire's Candide, Prélude à l'après-midi d'un faune, Duchamp's The Fountain
German: Hölderlin's Hyperion, Bach's Die Kunst der Fuge, Anselm Kiefer's Margarethe
Greek: Illyad, ?, Laokoonte
Portuguese: Pessoa's The Book of Disquiet, D. Dinis's Cantigas, Almada Negreiros's Retrato de Fernando Pessoa
Roman: Horace's Odes, ?, Trajan's Column
Russian: Mayakovsky's Poems, Stravinsky's Apollo, leader of the muses, Kandinsky's Transverse Lines
Spanish: Góngora's Polyphem, De Falla's Nights in the Gardens of Spain, Goya's Saturn devouring his son

Come on, some popular pieces presented here are not great works by great artists, but cultural industry led by great merchants. Do I need to summon the Frankfurt School? :lol:

Since the Ozymandias poem is not used in Civ V (but was used earlier; Civ V defeat screen is not the same as the poem, but possibly inspired by the poem), Percy Bysshe Shelley can show up with his sister. Another plus is that the entire poem is in the public domain.

Sorry for the flood, but if you mean Mary Shelley, she was married to Percy.

Come on, some popular pieces presented here are not great works by great artists, but cultural industry led by great merchants. Do I need to summon the Frankfurt School? :lol:

Yeh well, modern culture is tricky that way.

Not many poetry readers here :(

(Civ: Literature, Music, Visual Art)

American: The Waste Land, Adams's Dr. Atomic, Pollock's Number 5
Brazilian: Machado de Assis's The Posthumous Memoirs of Brás Cubas, Bachianas Brasileiras No. 5, Aleijadinho's The Twelve Prophets (baroque art)
Dutch: The Praise of Folly, Heer Halewijn, The Nightwatch
English: Keats's Odes, Peter Grimes, Blake's Newton
French: Voltaire's Candide, Prélude à l'après-midi d'un faune, Duchamp's The Fountain
German: Hölderlin's Hyperion, Bach's Die Kunst der Fuge, Anselm Kiefer's Margarethe
Greek: Illyad, ?, Laokoonte
Portuguese: Pessoa's The Book of Disquiet, D. Dinis's Cantigas, Almada Negreiros's Retrato de Fernando Pessoa
Roman: Horace's Odes, ?, Trajan's Column
Russian: Mayakovsky's Poems, Stravinsky's Apollo, leader of the muses, Kandinsky's Transverse Lines
Spanish: Góngora's Polyphem, De Falla's Nights in the Gardens of Spain, Goya's Saturn devouring his son

The Book of Disquiet ranks as one of the most amazing, sad and weirdest things I ever read. I really get in a mood whenever I think about it...

But it's such an amazing work of art. Fernando Pessoa was a genius, it's good that, finally, he's getting really well known outside Portugal and Brazil.

Anyway, the Book of Disquiet wasn't poetry, it was more of a novel... without being a novel. A fictional diary, really.

Akseli Gallen-Kallela and from his works I find The Departure of Väinämöinen, 1896–1906, the best. Would be nice to see some Finnish art in CiV. :D

Spoiler :

I would love to see anything by Duke Ellington for music, he wrote over 2,000 pieces. I would really like having either The Single Petal of a Rose or Sunset and the Mockingbird from the Queen's Suite. Also Charlie Parker should be in with Parker's Mood and Louis Armstrong with Basin Street Blues

Metallica - the greatest metal band of all time! Probably something like "One" or "Master of Puppets"

It's a long-shot, if not insane, desire to see it, but hey, you can't deny Metallica's sheer power they exert on the stage!

Since someone asked if there even was any literature in the Netherlands.
There are lots of dutch writers especially from the golden age, but I don't know if any of these are known outside of the Netherlands and Belgium. I will give their most famous works I know.
P.C. Hooft 1581–1647 - Liefdesemblemen (Love Emblems, poetry) or Baeto (a play about the dutch history)
G.P. Bredero 1585–1618 De Spaansche Brabander (The Spanish Brabanter) (BTW: which means someone from what is now Belgium :))
J. van den Vondel 1587–1679 De Gijsbreght van Aemstel (His most famous play which is still played often today) or Lucifer (his best work)
Furthermore names like Jacob Cats and Roemer Visscher
Later Dates gives us:
Multatuli (ps. of Eduard Douwes Dekker, 1820–1887) - Max Havelaar (about colonial mismanagement of the Dutch Indies)
Louis Couperus (1863–1923) - Noodlot ("Footsteps of Fate" seems to be the official english title of that)
Modern:
Maybe best known is Harry Mulisch who's book De Aanslag was made into a movie (english: The Assault) which won the Academy Award and Golden Globe.
And maybe Gerard Reve - De Vierde Man - (The Fourth Man ,filmed by Paul Verhoeven in 83)
So yes there is Literature in the Netherlands. A lot of it even, but I don't think it's widely known outside the Dutch Language aeria.

I wonder if this will be in:

This tread is humbling me greatly, for it makes me realize how little I know about other countrie's artistic milestones. Good job, guys! :)

Musical:
Mozart - Magic Flute/Requiem
Bizet - Carmen
Beethoven - 5th symphony
Bach - sth.
Wagner - Nibelung Ring
Sth. modern

Literature:
Homer - Iliad
Guanzhong - Three Kingdoms
Goethe - Faust
Voltaire - The Maid of Orleans
Schiller - The Robbers
Rabelais - Gargantua and Pantagruel
Pushkin - Eugene Onegin
Dostoyevsky - Crime and Punishment
Tolstoy - War and Peace
Bulgakov - Master and Margartia
Plus, it would be very good if like seancolorado said, every civilization will get a gerat work.

I think that if they were to put something from Voltaire they wouldn't use that specific work. It's a lot less famous and symbolic than for instance Candide.

Also, since western GWs will most likely overwhelm GWs from the rest of the worl, I think a japanese aiku collection or something like that could balance it a little bit.

Maybe we will find more than one work from Mozart, like Requiem and the the #40 (or #25, my favourite)
But I would like to see some brazilian piece of music, like Garota de Ipanema from Tom Jobin. It would be ironic to see a civilization so focused in culture (at least in game) not having a single piece of their own.
There are suggestions of rock bands. Maybe something very, very epic, Like Queen, Led or Beatles (all brittish! sorry, Americans!)

From literature, I like the idea of having Huxley's Brave New World as a book, it's very fitting, plus, the book is a mind blow. Perhaps a book of Saramago too, like "Evangelho Segundo Jesus Cristo". But I'll be severily disappointed if they don't put Lusiadas there, it's one of the single most important pieces of literature of all the time, perhaps THE most important for portuguese language.

I don't have a solid opinion about paitings, but one that's very impressive is Le Radeau de la Méduse, from Théodore Géricault. And it's just painting or do we also have sculptures?

Paintings, Books and Music, no sculpture.

Top Bottom