Brave New World OST - Leaders

this is the real portuguese music, and a potencial theme for civ :

[YOUTUBE-OLD]SCXV_o5ZSIM[/YOUTUBE-OLD]

And for Brazil, I think the tribal part in 9:40 minute would be hauntingly beautiful, or could be used for Zulu:

[YOUTUBE-OLD]iY6-TEOUwBQ&lc[/YOUTUBE-OLD]

For Brazil António Carlos Gomes is actually a great idea. Especially for the war team.

I suggested though, in Brazil's thread, that an orchestral Cartola's "Preciso de Me Encontrar" would be epic. It's so colourful Brazilian and yet mellow (a bit like Pedro) at the same time:

Link to video.

A bit like Spain's theme, they could do a massive orchestral reinterpretation of it.

Now, on Portugal... a shame for all the copyright stuff, they could have some really good stuff in if it weren't for that.

But this... this would be amazing. Lopes Graça was a genius. And I think the copyright has expired by now.

"A Tragic-Maritime Story"

Link to video.

Couldn't be more Portuguese and yet epic but maddening/sorrowful. It would fit amazingly with Portugal (for its meaning/the lyrics) and Maria I.

I mean, look at that image! It even looks like Maria's background!

Personally, I think Portugal should have some fado OST. A bit melancholy. Saudade.

thats the problem, every foreign thinks the country have only Fado as music, which is not true, so the more different kind of music the civ have the more foreigns start to know, the same with the leader, I bet nobody would know Maria if it wasnt through the game :)

I don't think Fado should be Portugal's theme. Especially because pretty much every civilization is using an orchestral arrangement, and I think it would be hard to make a war theme out of Fado.

On the other hand, Lopes Graças' composition would be amazing. They do share some themes with Fado (História Trágico-Maritima is a great example), but they're about much more. And they sound definitely Portuguese, regardless of its orchestral arrangement.

thats the problem, every foreign thinks the country have only Fado as music, which is not true, so the more different kind of music the civ have the more foreigns start to know, the same with the leader, I bet nobody would know Maria if it wasnt through the game :)

Now you understand what we feel when someone chooses to samba to represent Brazil... Never heard anyone mention, for example, Luiz Gonzaga and his forró. At least, no one is remembering the funk carioca! Ah, lelek lek lek lek...

Now you understand what we feel when someone chooses to samba to represent Brazil... Never heard anyone mention, for example, Luiz Gonzaga and his forró. At least, no one is remembering the funk carioca! Ah, lelek lek lek lek...

yeap, Brazil have Bossa Nova and I think is the music style that is so unique to the country together with the sounds of Amazonia, now samba, forró and others I find quite similarities with portuguese music, you can hear samba and music from minho, or the forró with the beira sound, there are some similarities in the sound, I dont know if both countries shared the way they introduced percussion to their musical identity.

For those who says that the games uses orchestra for all the different type of music of course we are refering the music we post here be played with the game orchestra, heres an example:

Original

Link to video.

With Orchestra
[YOUTUBE-OLD]P4wFePqtCP4[/YOUTUBE-OLD]

simply amazing, this would be the best Brazilian theme, Im watching myself looking at Pedro and listening to the song in orchestra version it fits perfectly.

How do I put this... it sounds too tropical and tribal for Brazil. Even if I admit it's gorgeous! (I fav'd it on youtube, never head of Uakti)

Brazil is an European civilization. They're to Europe what the American (US) civilization is to Europe as well. Certainly, Brazil, for the particular circumstances that involved the Portuguese colonisation, and the later Brazilian independence, is closer to its Amerindian roots than the US is. But still... today, according to the FUNAI (Fundação Nacional do Índio) less than 0,1 of Brazil's population is Amerindian.

Unfortunately, things didn't go much differently in Brazil than they did in the US, the result was the same (the annihilation of a vibrant culture, overwritten by the English/Portuguese culture, and the cornucopia of immigrant cultures that followed US/Brazil independence), even if the means were different.

For that reason... I don't agree with the too tropical feel of Brazil's theme. It has to be something more Brazilian, really Brazilian, something typical of what we call Brazil today (the Europeanised South American country, with its main cultural substratum - Portuguese culture - mixed in with the Afro-American, Amerindian, Italian and German cultures: what makes Brazil in 2013, and what started to make Brazil since Pedro I, really.).

So, I'd go with Heitor Villa-Lobos, the perfect mixture of all I've mentioned. And I think we may be on to something with it, as I've seen in that IGN video a Great Artist called "Heitor Villa-Lobos". They probably reached his name when looking for a Brazilian theme, I'm guessing...

Either Villas-Lobo or something from Tom Jobim, Cartola, Astrud Gilberto, and so on... I love Bossa Nova. My mother kept some vinyls at home, and I remember them since I was a kid. Musically, I think it's Brazil's greatest gift to the world :)

P.S - Há TANTOS portugueses e brasileiros aqui! Nunca imaginei! É excelente termos os nossos dois países representados :)

I do think the Marimba or whatever that is will be in the Civ's theme music though. Almost as much as I think the Gamelan Gong will be in Indonesia's.

I hope Maria's theme makes a reference to Portugal's theme in Civ IV:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FrlXPS5FP04

While Portugal's theme was possibly the best in Civilization IV, I quite enjoy that they are departing from the small, established tunes from previous games, and moved on to grander, more impressive themes (and leaderscreens in general). Heck, it gave us I Vow To Thee, My Country, which is such a beautiful theme in Civilization V that that alone makes it worth it for me!

I sure do hope they maintain the Portuguese Guitar in it though... :)

While Portugal's theme was possibly the best in Civilization IV, I quite enjoy that they are departing from the small, established tunes from previous games, and moved on to grander, more impressive themes (and leaderscreens in general). Heck, it gave us I Vow To Thee, My Country, which is such a beautiful theme in Civilization V that that alone makes it worth it for me!

I sure do hope they maintain the Portuguese Guitar in it though... :)

the ost in Civ V is more epic with a orchestra, but they still capture the atmosphere related to a certain civ culture.

the ost in Civ V is more epic with a orchestra, but they still capture the atmosphere related to a certain civ culture.

Yup! Michael Curran and Geoff Knorr, along side the Prague Filmharmonic Orchestra, have made a tremendous job with this game's soundtrack! :) I've heard a few complaints about Asian civ's themes, though (although I admit I lack the required knowledge to make any statement - maybe someone can clear this out?). The Huns' theme sounds awesome though, specially his war theme.

I'm so pumped to hear this expansion's soundtrack! :D
The only song they haven't yet quite passed is Baba Yetu, that was such an inspiring, powerful song, and alongside the planet in the background, with the sun rising, made for such an iconic and powerful experience that I think it's a shame Civilization V couldn't quite capture it...

For me, so far, Spain takes the OST throne.

Link to video.

Isabella's war theme gives me goosebumps, especially after 2:50... oh, and I just realised very recently that Isabella's theme is, ironically, a Republican Anthem from the Spanish Civil War.

Next comes Russia's war theme.

Lets see how Brazil and Portugal work out. If Heitor Villas-Lobos' is going to be Brazil's theme I have the feeling Brazil's theme will surpass every other in Civilization.

Isabella's war theme gives me goosebumps, especially after 2:50... oh, and I just realised very recently that Isabella's theme is, ironically, a Republican Anthem from the Spanish Civil War.

:p Spain's one of my favorite's as well! In case you are curious, you can check what's the inspiration for every civilization in the game by checking Michael Curran's and Geoff Knorr's websites! :)
Indeed, Spain's is based on Viva La Quince Brigada. :D

Spain is good but my favourite still has to go to England. When they are in the game I will declare war on them just to hear their war theme.

My favorite peace theme (so far): England, Spain, Persia, Japan, Arabic, Sweden, Austria, Greece
My favorite war theme (also so far) : England, Russia, Spain, Austria, Ottomans,

They're hard to rank since they're all great.

@Luziadus I think your music is not very fitting. It's suit depressed one who lock himself indoor (ala Nebuchadnezzar)

Oh, we're doing favourite themes again :crazyeye:

War theme is England, hands down. Bismarck's is also pretty cool.

Peace themes I really like are Huns, Sweden, Byzantium, William, Dido... most of G&K's in fact (although the Celtic one makes me sleepy, and I'm not crazy about the Mayan one either). From vanilla, Songhai and Japan are both good.

I can't stand Polynesia's peace theme, although the war one is OK (mostly because of the Haka reference).

Oh, we're doing favourite themes again :crazyeye:

War theme is England, hands down. Bismarck's is also pretty cool.

Peace themes I really like are Huns, Sweden, Byzantium, William, Dido... most of G&K's in fact (although the Celtic one makes me sleepy, and I'm not crazy about the Mayan one either). From vanilla, Songhai and Japan are both good.

I can't stand Polynesia's peace theme, although the war one is OK (mostly because of the Haka reference).

Polynesia peace theme is one of my favorites in the game.

Celts too

Top Bottom