When do you ragequit?

Blueboots

Chieftain
I understand that many players tend to be more disciplined than others (me) when it comes to playing out a game. However, I know that, deep down, there are special circumstances during which every player feels the need to stab the escape key and ragequit. I invite you to list your own self-destruct conditions.

Here was mine today: I created a caravan to travel to Byblos, only to have it pillaged the turn after by a barb camp that just spawned. I cleared the camp and created another, leaving my warrior to guard the route. Another barb camp spawns northeast of Byblos and pillages it before I can intercept with my warrior. I clear the camp, settle another city, then create another caravan. Within ten turns, Russia barks at me for encroaching on her borders, denounces me soon after, then declares war. Her horseman takes out my third caravan.

I seize the opportunity to think on this rationally. Then I declare war on all civilizations and city-states, delete all my units, then rage:nuke: the game. I instantly felt better.

So, how does the game push your buttons?

Founding your capital as Venice, then realizing the area you're given is just absolutely horrible.

Only when I arrive at the new world to find one 30 city Über empire that has wiped out half the civs on the map with infinte gold and rescources that I can't possibly defeat in any way shape or form. I just imagine the game telling me "This campaign can serve no further purpous dave. Goodbye."

barbarbarbarbarbarbarbarbarb trade route plunder morebarbarbarbarbarbarb plunder all my tiles barbarbarbarbarb 20 turns wasted fixing

Ragequit? Nevaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar ;)

Founding your capital as Venice, then realizing the area you're given is just absolutely horrible.

How about this, plus discovering you are on your own continent of a Large map with only 2 city states. :mad:

How about this, plus discovering you are on your own continent of a Large map with only 2 city states. :mad:

with only sub par resources, no marble, and no wheat, plus all the coastal settlement spots are crap

with only sub par resources, no marble, and no wheat, plus all the coastal settlement spots are crap

And they're isn't any coast connecting to a different contient

I started a game as Venice and was by the coast. Looked like a great spot. I settle, and send my scout out after it's built. Do some exploring and find some ruins, then I scout much closer to home. Go along the entire coast and BAM! Discover that it was a huge lake I settled on. Had I settled two tiles west, THAT would have been the ocean.

So much for trusting my advisers on where to settle my first city.

I didn't necessarily rage quit, but I did quit and restart.

And get this...it happened again the next game!

early game: when I'm dropped off in a particularly bad area (no resources, or right on top of another civ like Mongolia)

mid/late game: when defeat is inevitable... I've had a few games where it ends up being 5 civs on one continent and the 6th gets a continent all to themselves. their lead usually becomes insurmountable unless I discover them early enough that I can mount a military strike.

A) When it is turn 70 and Oda/Shaka DoW with 16 units including catapults.

B) Barbarbarbarbarbarb, pillage pillage pillage, 20 turns wasted fixing the same things over and over again.

I ragequit upon my first BNW culture game upon discovering that having a certain amount of tourism just makes people declare war on you. One turn after war, Shaka starts pumping out a piece of spaceship every turn. Seriously... "We hate you enough to declare war because our people visit you too much!" How much sense does that make??

I actually don't rage quit. I rather "boredom quit". If I fail to get involved in the story in the game or if I am dominating completely, I rarely play on.

barbarbarbarbarbarbarbarbarb trade route plunder morebarbarbarbarbarbarb plunder all my tiles barbarbarbarbarb 20 turns wasted fixing

It might seem petty to complain about barbs but I know exactly what you mean.

The best is when you get a ship or caravan started and they immediately run straight into a barb. :mischief:

The best is when you get a ship or caravan started and they immediately run straight into a barb. :mischief:

Almost had that happen in a game last night. My caravan starts out toward another civ's city, and it comes across a barb. My crossbowman wasn't in range and I was sure my caravan was history. But it got inside the civ's territory and I was able to kill the barb a turn later. I was biting my nails...

I actually don't rage quit. I rather "boredom quit". If I fail to get involved in the story in the game or if I am dominating completely, I rarely play on.

This. I DESPERATELY want to be able to label areas of the map as i explore them. I'd love for battles and city placement to have some deeper meaning and background more than simply "ooh, resources! plop"

I don't rage quit when barbs destroy all of my improvements... I rage quit when barbs steal all of my workers!!!

When I'm playing as Venice and it looks like I have a nice coastal spot, only to later realize that it was just an inland lake large enough to have coastal tiles!!!

When I'm playing as Morocco and the AI steals desert folklore AND Petra!!!

When I'm on an Earth map with China. I've only played an Earth map twice before Brave New World. Both times I got beat to the science victory by China. Luckily, on my first BNW Earth map, I excluded China for playing only with the new Civs.

Top Bottom