AI technologically challanged on Prince?

Noian

Chieftain
Hello guys, so I've been getting started with Civ 5 and played a few BNW games on Prince, which as far as I can tell is my proper level atm. However, I've been kinda dissapointed that in every game I play, me and the rest of the world are quite technologically delayed. For example, in a Domination victory I got with Shaka on standard pace, by 2040 the entire world didn't even have tanks yet, not even my top rival Arabia which I've let alone until the end of the game :(. This disappointed me because I was looking forward to some modern warfare, even robots. During a cultural that became score victory (couldn't kill cultured rival) with the celts it was a bit better, but still barely had atomic bombs by 2030. There was a game in which I played kinda well as Indonesia on Archipelago and had myself a proper science timeline, getting Globalization by like 1980 or 1990 (quick pace) and winning diplomatically, but the rest of the world was very behind and had no army (I had like double the score of the second best civ). However, I don't usually play that well.

So my question is, is it normal for the AI civs to never reach future tech on Prince or is it a bug or something? Will king or emperor still be like this?

On king/emperor, if you play well, you get things around when they got invented in the real world. So basically planes in late 1800s/ early 1900s. On prince the ai is usually like that but when I play, I can get FT on prince by 2000.

Actually, you can achieve an SV on t250 (around 1800's) on any difficulty if you play your cards right. Maybe even less on prince or below, where you can sandbox all you want, not worry about invasions/runaways, and kill anybody you want to.

Prince? AI is technologically challenged even on Emperor level even with only needing 85% of normal amount of science to reserach each tech.

With the exception of Korea, the AIs science flavor is too low. In addition, the AI wastes early GS on bulbing when it should be building academies.

Try playing on a harder difficulty level if it's too easy for you on Prince. It doesn't seem like tech's the only problem there, it seems like you're just better than the AI by a lot.

As has been discussed in other threads:
Yes, science advancement has slowed in BNW. There's fewer cities being built in early game along with increased science costs per city (5% standard, 3% large maps).

Which does NOT mean you can't get to Future Tech on Prince (I did it very late in my last game), just that it's more of a challenge and not always obtainable. AI were 10-15 techs behind. The year timeline definitely needs to be ignored for any historical reference, or altered.

--
I don't know yet how much I prefer it this way (or not). Perhaps a negative cost offset for the first 1 or 2 cities.

On the timeline; if it was a requirement to complete all the techs in the given era before starting to research a tech in the next era, the announcements of era advancements would be much closer to historic.

Hello guys, so I've been getting started with Civ 5 and played a few BNW games on Prince, which as far as I can tell is my proper level atm. However, I've been kinda dissapointed that in every game I play, me and the rest of the world are quite technologically delayed. For example, in a Domination victory I got with Shaka on standard pace, by 2040 the entire world didn't even have tanks yet, not even my top rival Arabia which I've let alone until the end of the game :(. This disappointed me because I was looking forward to some modern warfare, even robots. During a cultural that became score victory (couldn't kill cultured rival) with the celts it was a bit better, but still barely had atomic bombs by 2030. There was a game in which I played kinda well as Indonesia on Archipelago and had myself a proper science timeline, getting Globalization by like 1980 or 1990 (quick pace) and winning diplomatically, but the rest of the world was very behind and had no army (I had like double the score of the second best civ). However, I don't usually play that well.

So my question is, is it normal for the AI civs to never reach future tech on Prince or is it a bug or something? Will king or emperor still be like this?

This may still happen on king. On my last game, after I passed the initial AI advantage, things got pretty fast in terms of science. But even making much more beakers than the AI, I had to abstain from voting for world leader and sell 2 airports late in the game because I would have won diplomatic and culturally before a science victory (and I wanted the Poland achievement for space victory & the achievement for a space victory with Freedom)

Top Bottom