Montezuma's UA - scaling?

Aztecs are my favorite Civ as of yet. I'm okay with the current state of his UA. It gives you a lot of incentive to be at war as much as possible. Which, is how I feel one should play Montezuma. Units are no longer just obstacles in your way on your way to victory, they're delicious culture. As long as I can use his UA to gain the equivalent of the total number of culture my empire produces anyway, then I'm fine with it. I've had no problem doing that so far.

His UU is a little weak. I think they need to increase the healing to 4 or at the very least Jaguars should have no movement penalty in the Jungle.

His UB is fantastic for growing large cities. It's going to be even more appealing after this next patch, as Maritime City States are getting a much needed nerf.

Raging Barbarians is kinda nice for him.

I think the civilization overall benefits from a really tight design. There's a definite connection between all his abilities.

Jaguars seem to promote early war/conflict with barbarians (the regenerating HP makes it easier to fight more often without having to stop and heal for 5 turns each time).

Early conflict gives culture early, which if you really have raging barbarians and press it, you can get a couple of policies, depending on stuff.

Floating Gardens promotes fewer cities with large populations, which makes those bits of culture more important than if you have lots of cities.

Yes, the ratios are a bit off, and the amount of culture from combat maybe isn't so great, but the overall effect is that all three unique aspects of the Aztec civilization have a clear synergy that works together. Some other Civs have that, but many don't.

Well, it's not as good as a civ that doesn't have synergy but all three are ridiculously good (China)

Yeah, it is clearly not the most powerful civilization, I just appreciate the fact that the design is pretty focused without being too obviously focused, the synergy is a little bit subtle.

If I were wishing, I'd like for all civilizations to have a similarly thoughtful design.

Aztecs always seem weak to me. For one thing, their UU is weak unless you upgrade it to Swordsman/Longswordsman (as they keep the jungle bonus, etc).

Building is ok, but UA? REALLY sucks, not just compared to Napoleon but compared to virtually everyone else except Otties. Otties should get reduced maintenance for naval units maybe, or reduced maintenance for converted pirate vessels at least. Aztecs need significant culture boosts for kills imo.

Top Bottom