Civilization V - Units: Disappointment

In general I agree with Frekk here.

you cannot possibly say that you "hate" the idea since the previous incarnation - stacking units to infinity then zerg rushing the opponent - was neither interesting, challenging or realistic

Sure you can. Some people like that. There are plenty of people who are mostly intereted in the building aspect of Civ, and aren't terribly interested in fighting tactical wars. You can't say that someone else's personal preferences are invalid; there's nothing intrinsically illogical about not being very interested in the tactical aspect of warfare, or of being bother by the unrealistic nature of particular gameplay abstractions.

Personally though, I have no problem with unrealistic abstractions that improve gameplay while retaining a general flavor.

In general I agree with Frekk here.

Sure you can. Some people like that. There are plenty of people who are mostly intereted in the building aspect of Civ, and aren't terribly interested in fighting tactical wars. You can't say that someone else's personal preferences are invalid; there's nothing intrinsically illogical about not being very interested in the tactical aspect of warfare, or of being bother by the unrealistic nature of particular gameplay abstractions.

Personally though, I have no problem with unrealistic abstractions that improve gameplay while retaining a general flavor.

As I said before, an individual not wanting to participate in a particular aspect of a game does not mean that that aspect of the game is flawed.

Read this again:

Get ready for micromanagement HELL!!! If they really wanted to go this route with the 1UPT, then they would have been better off sticking with the stacks and "zooming in" to a tactical map for the battles. Mark my words, unless Jon Schafer and Firaxis pull of a divine miracle, 1UPT is going to be the thorn in Civ V's side after release.

And tell me that the implication is that he personally doesn't like making tactical decisions, and not that the concept will ruin the game for everyone.

So, increasing the micromanagement will make it better. Civilization has its elements of micromanagement which I can except given the scope of the game. To me, 1UPT will be pushing it to (beyond, even) the limits.
I never said the possible increase in micromanagement with 1UPT would make the game better, merely pointing out that micromanagement is nothing new to Civ. If you think additional micromanagement will be too much, fair enough, I'm sure others will agree, but it's not something that will doom the game to failure.

No, I want to play Civilization. I want to play a game where I start out in a small region with little knowledge of the world, explore surrounding areas, meet other civilizations, build my armies, advance my technology through human history...
That sounds pretty much like Civ V is shaping up to be. You will still be able to wage war against rival Civs, only (some of) the mechanics of war have changes and I don't believe this suddenly stops the game from being 'Civilization'.

1UPT done right is fine IMO.

I've played Civilization since Civ2 and PG since the beginning and I don't see any evidence that micromanagement is increasing. Indeed considering the differences between Civ3 and Civ4 if anything Firaxis is determined to minimize the amount of micromanaging to keep the game's appeal as broad as possible.

In the context of civ 4 a single unit city garrison would be cause for a concern - when it was possible to bring a SOD against them in a single turn and combat was (usually) to the death. NEITHER situation holds true anymore. A city will likely also be able to be supported by ajacent units (archers firing defensive fire for example) and will likely take a few turns to route out - encouraging surrounding the city to eliminate supporting units.

If you had the same number of units in Civ5 as you did in 4 then 1UPT would indeed involve more micromanagement. But all that I've read so far implies that the number of units will be far smaller.

Personally I'm looking forward to NOT having to move 10-15 newly built units to the front line every turn to replace the 15-20 lost last turn. Or have my 5+ promotion units completely killed in a single turn because they fluke rolled poorly. Or having to attack the same tile 50 times in a turn to wear it down. Or having to Nuke an AI's SOD as the only practical defense (unless you have a SOD 3 times the size) and watching his armed forces strength drop from 18 million to 9 million in a single turn.

Even the largest PG scenarios with 80-100 units a side never bogged down as bad as late game Civ4 does because *every* unit is worth something and is accomplishing a valuable mission, whether attacking an enemy concentration or protecting the flanks of others that are.

Is 1UPT guaranteed success for Civilization? I don't think guaranteed - to maximize the benefits of the PG combat system would really require larger, less dense maps to give depth to maneuver, as well as plenty of space for the rivers, forests, and hills needed to anchor defensive lines which in and of itself would require minor adjustments to the scale of the rest of the civ mechanics (city radius, worker improvements, unit movement rates, etc). However from what I've seen it seems the Devs ARE aware of this and have made allowances so I am cautiously optimistic that the game will retain the core of what makes Civ great - exploration, empire building, conquest, scientific development - the only difference is the combat system won't feel like a holdover from the 1980s.

Again, I think the focus should be about what the AI will be able to do with 1UPT. The human player will have no problems adjusting to whatever combat model the games forces but can the AI? They can't even defend or carry an effective offensive very well in Civ4, esp. something as simple as using a SoD.

I think you will have difficulty convincing people (including me) that adopting a separate battle map would be a smaller change in terms of "civ being civ" than adopting a 1 unit per tile system.

To be honest, I don't know how I would feel about it myself... but until Firaxis can prove otherwise, I would prefer it to 1UPT gameplay in a Civilization setting.

Apparently some people can't deal with certain kinds of abstraction. Having the same leader for over 6000 years is ok but one unit per tile where the scale may be slightly out of whack is way too much for them. That indicates to me that really it's not the abstraction that's the problem as much as just grousing about change.

It's a crap excuse for not wanting to deal with an entirely new combat system and having to change their linear way of thinking.

Game play styles will have to change and that's a good thing. The old way was stale and in dire need of refreshing.

What I want is a combat system that fits the scope of the game. Change is fine... when done right. But, apparently, I am the antichrist because I don't agree with this particular change for this series.

Your "true concern" is "I can't be bothered with this". Pick any other aspect of the game and I guarantee you that this argument will be just as valid.

I do not disagree with all of the changes that they are making and that is part of the reason that I am holding on. And how are you claiming to know what I am thinking?

Your selective laziness is not a valid comment on the gameplay.

What, exactly, does this mean? My "selective laziness"?!?

"I hope this system doesn't hurt the game by forcing too much micro management" is a significantly different concern - it's a concern that everyone has. Everyone hopes that these changes do not damage the game.

Firaxis have already stated that they are trying to slim the game down so it is extremely unlikely that the end result will be more of a micromanagement burden than the current offering. As long as the gameplay is not damaged by this system, your complains boil down to "I don't wanna because I can't be bothered".

Of course, if they slim it down that to the point that this system does not add micromanagement, then they would have to remove some parts which are core to the game.

Come on, you guys caren't being fair. This is the single biggest change to the whole game. Its reasonable to be more concerned with such a major change than with the other changes they've announced. Its a bigger departure from previous versions, and its more subject to love-it-or-hate-it personal preference than a lot of other game features.

Thank you, Ahriman, for being civil and taken into account my perspective. In the end, we will have to see what happens. I'll be honest right here... when all is said in done, it is possible that the final product will not be as bad as I feared and I might even love it. At the very least, I by that time, I may warm up enough to except it... for now. Until then, I am going off of what I know, what I like in Civilization, and my past experiences with strategy games of all kinds and I just do not see this working well. The developers can say that it is working great, but they are deep into it. It is there ideas, so they become biased (whether they realize it or not) and think everything is fine. Once it hits the hands of the players, the results could be completely different. And just to note, I am not picking on Firaxis with those last statements, it can apply to any developer.

I'm not saying there aren't reasons for people to be concerned about the feature. I'm saying that without having played the game or even finding out how the actual mechanics will work you cannot possibly say that you "hate" the idea since the previous incarnation - stacking units to infinity then zerg rushing the opponent - was neither interesting, challenging or realistic. The concept may work badly, it may work really well, but you can't hate something without knowing how it will play.

Why does everybody use the argument "You haven't played the game yet, so you can't say that it is bad", yet the same can be said against saying that it will work fine? In the end, after we have had a chance to play the game (or the demo) it could turn out that I am right and you are wrong, that you are right and I am wrong, or that we are both right AND wrong. I am just expressing my concerns and my view points.

The stance of "I can't be bothered to do this" isn't a valid concern, because I could just as easily say "I can't be bothered to build cities". If you are opposed to a concept even if its implementation is the absolute height of gaming perfection and it turns Civ 5 into a masterpiece, then the problem isn't with the gameplay, the problem is with your attitude towards change.

The things is, perfection is NOT absolute! Where one person may find something to be perfect, another persome may find it to be complete garbage. Your argument (as just quoted above) really does not apply here. Change has nothing to do with it. It is what the change leads to that is the issue. It is not the fear of change, it is the fear of what that change will bring. It could turn out to be good, but it could, very well, turn out to be bad as well.

As I said before, an individual not wanting to participate in a particular aspect of a game does not mean that that aspect of the game is flawed.

Read this again:

And tell me that the implication is that he personally doesn't like making tactical decisions, and not that the concept will ruin the game for everyone.

When did I say that I do not like making tactical decisions. I just don't think that it would work in a game such as Civ in the way that they are implementing it. Again, if the tactical part was in the form of a seperate battle map (see my first response to Ahriman), I would be more willing to accept that. But, I think that the way that they are implementing it is the wrong direction.

I never said the possible increase in micromanagement with 1UPT would make the game better, merely pointing out that micromanagement is nothing new to Civ. If you think additional micromanagement will be too much, fair enough, I'm sure others will agree, but it's not something that will doom the game to failure.

That sounds pretty much like Civ V is shaping up to be. You will still be able to wage war against rival Civs, only (some of) the mechanics of war have changes and I don't believe this suddenly stops the game from being 'Civilization'.

If that is what you believe, then that is fine. At the very least, we can agree to disagree and see what happens. ;)

Again, I think the focus should be about what the AI will be able to do with 1UPT. The human player will have no problems adjusting to whatever combat model the games forces but can the AI? They can't even defend or carry an effective offensive very well in Civ4, esp. something as simple as using a SoD.

That is fine, but the problem is that we won't be able to answer the AI question until after we have played the game (probably after several play throughs). They claim to be improving the AI, and I am not saying that they aren't... just that we won't be able to see the results until after then.

OK guys! I am about to go offline for a while. I am moving tomorrow, so I don't know when I will be back here. It may be tomorrow night, it may not be until Sunday or Monday. But I am sure that I will be back at some point. See you all later! :D

But all that I've read so far implies that the number of units will be far smaller

Yes, I agree, which I hope you enjoy playing on a world map with ~20 cities at most, if that's the case.

Even the largest PG scenarios with 80-100 units a side never bogged down as bad as late game Civ4 does

I have never had a Civ4 War that "bogged down" (= as much time and micromanagement) as PG scenarios. That includes up through civ games on Deity and Huge maps.

I don't understand people who say Firaxis is getting away from the basis of Civilization by going to one unit per tile. The basis of Civ games isn't stacking units, that's just how warfare has always been fought in the games, but it's not like that's what has defined the games. Civ has always been a strategy game, and the main strategy aspects of the game has always been city specialization, researching techs, and building units and buildings. None of these things are changing. The only thing that is changing is the one thing that hasn't been strategical -- warfare. Warfare has always been overly simplistic in Civ, and they're finally fixing it. There's nothing strategical about sending a massive stack of units from city to city.

I don't understand people who say Firaxis is getting away from the basis of Civilization by going to one unit per tile. The basis of Civ games isn't stacking units, that's just how warfare has always been fought in the games

Well, actually it hasn't. Nobody ever fought in stacks until civ3. This was because if the top defender in a stack was killed in civ1 and civ2, the whole stack was lost. It was, in a way, a cross between stacking and 1UPT. You could stack, but generally you only did so to avoid traffic jams far from the front line. Once you get near the enemy it was better to spread out, though you might still cover your cavalry with infantry and do some limited stacking of that sort.

It was a bad system, for obvious reasons.

They "fixed" it by allowing units to defend as a stack, which caused the SOD. They tried to fix that with suicide catapults, which did not work. The current solution is elegant and, in retrospect, obvious.

Could an "army" contain 10 units on 10 hexes? On a small map, like a snaky landmass, such an army would "look" ridiculous in fighting a city or open field battle. I was thinking about that in my last Civ4 game playing on such a map. Try it yourself - take your 10 unit stack and spread them out one at a time. That would only work if the scale changes (i.e., switching to a tactical hex field).

Could an "army" contain 10 units on 10 hexes? On a small map, like a snaky landmass, such an army would "look" ridiculous in fighting a city or open field battle. I was thinking about that in my last Civ4 game playing on such a map. Try it yourself - take your 10 unit stack and spread them out one at a time. That would only work if the scale changes (i.e., switching to a tactical hex field).

What ... you mean something like this?

Hmmm ... a historical scenario based on the Italy campaign ... yep, high fantasy there. Completely off-the-wall. Who ever heard of such a thing? Monty Python must have designed that game, it is so absurd.

If the front line itself is an isthmus or something of the sort, well, I have this feeling that you're just not going to bother trying to push across land that way with 10 units if it is defended by more than 2-3 units. Because you can just enter the sea now, and become a transport rather than waiting for one to be constructed and arrive, it's more likely that you're going to try to flank the defenders by sea - ie bypass them, land behind them, and then mop them up by attacking from all directions (probably including amphibious attacks and/or bombardment from sea).

See, they thought of this. The distinction between land and sea has been blurred - like in real history, the sea is now both a moat and a superhighway. You might even sometimes go by sea along the coast just because it's faster (as was the case in the real world up until the railroad), if it is safe enough to do so.

Its hardly ridiculous for units to be spread out on the map more. It's a heck of alot more realistic to have an actual portrayal of front lines stretching across large distances, whether it's Roman garrisons all along the length of the Rhine or German and Allies lines stretching across the eastern length of France, from the Alps to the Channel. Yes, pushes forward will take the form of big salients - bulges or pockets filled with units. Like Kursk, the Bulge, Falaise, Ruhr, Korsak, ad infinitum.

The thing is, we've had an edition done this way. New editions are for new things, and one of the most pressing demands by most fans, new and old, ever since civ3, has been to get rid of the SOD. Civ4 tried to do this with collateral damage, it didn't work, the SOD is still here. Some people like the SOD; it's familiar, they started with civ3 and that's what they're used to and there's nothing wrong with that. You're certainly entitled to enjoy whatever you enjoy about different editions of civ. And if this doesn't work who knows - perhaps you will see your preference restored in a later edition.

But to impose what has generally been regarded as an unintended problem, rather than a feature, that arose with civ3, on every edition to ever follow, forever and ever ... it's not really fair to new players or players of older versions or people who are just sick of the SOD. You have two SOD editions. Isn't that enough yet? When do the rest of us get to try something else?

If the front line itself is an isthmus or something of the sort, well, I have this feeling that you're just not going to bother trying to push across land that way with 10 units if it is defended by more than 2-3 units. Because you can just enter the sea now, and become a transport rather than waiting for one to be constructed and arrive, it's more likely that you're going to try to flank the defenders by sea - ie bypass them, land behind them, and then mop them up by attacking from all directions (probably including amphibious attacks and/or bombardment from sea).

Well if you can enter the sea, then so can your enemy. So I am not sure if you can just avoid land-blocks by jumping into your magical transport. Maybe you get a -25% demerit if you are in water and if your opponent is attacking from land.

So, do we still need Galleys?

To be honest, I don't know how I would feel about it myself... but until Firaxis can prove otherwise, I would prefer it to 1UPT gameplay in a Civilization setting.

What I want is a combat system that fits the scope of the game. Change is fine... when done right. But, apparently, I am the antichrist because I don't agree with this particular change for this series.
:D

Actually I think you are a very reasonable poster on these forums. I happen to not agree with you on this subject but I don't think any less of you. I'm just happy that there are many passionate Civ fans on here like you.

I am certainly wrong a lot of the time so take what I say with a mountain of salt. ;)

Time will tell if 1UPT works for ciV or not. :)

Well if you can enter the sea, then so can your enemy.

Yes, you'll actually have to have a warfleet if you want to provide security to a coastline.

So I am not sure if you can just avoid land-blocks by jumping into your magical transport.

Why not? We know for sure that units are going to transit into water without needing transports (they become transports when they hit the water). It's an announced feature.

Maybe you get a -25% demerit if you are in water and if your opponent is attacking from land.

Well, there's that, so you'd probably want to try to land on an undefended tile behind him, if possible. Or hit him with numbers, knowing that some units will be lost as cannon-fodder because of his superior defensive position; same as throwing dozens of units at a heavily defended city.

And you'll probably also want to be sure he doesn't have a pack of war-galleys or frigates or anything hanging about while you try to cross ...

Nobody said it would be easy, but trying to force your way through an isthmus isn't supposed to be.

So, do we still need Galleys?

Apparently not, but I expect triremes will be alot more important than they have been.

I like the idea of restricting number of military units in every tile. But I hope Firaxis will make it possible to have 2 to 3 military units in 1 tile instead of 1 unit on 1 tile.

Imagine 1 archer being protected by a swordman (should you send the swordman to the front for malee fight or let him protect the archer, the decision is yours)

I can imagine a few dozen of military units (of mine) covering a wide area on the map (a sense of my army is BIG) when I am attcking my opponents... that make me wet.

I can imagine how I purposely hold back from attacking the last opponent's capital city so that I can end up conquest victory with all cities in my hands... I like the changes so far as I am informed!

Btw, I like most of the aspect of CIV except diplomacy and I am a Civ warmonger.

Actually I think you are a very reasonable poster on these forums. I happen to not agree with you on this subject but I don't think any less of you. I'm just happy that there are many passionate Civ fans on here like you.

I am certainly wrong a lot of the time so take what I say with a mountain of salt. ;)

Time will tell if 1UPT works for ciV or not. :)

Yes, time will tell! Maybe all of my concerns will be for naught (which I am hoping). But we will see ;)

Well, got to get going! Still have a lot to do for this move. See you all in the near future.

But to impose what has generally been regarded as an unintended problem, rather than a feature, that arose with civ3, on every edition to ever follow, forever and ever ... it's not really fair to new players or players of older versions or people who are just sick of the SOD. You have two SOD editions. Isn't that enough yet? When do the rest of us get to try something else?

Just quoting this because the entire post and this part in particular is really quiet fantastic. It's always nice when someone takes the words right out of your mouth in a way as eloquent as this.

Yes, I agree, which I hope you enjoy playing on a world map with ~20 cities at most, if that's the case.

What kind of counter argument is that?

Where is the evidence that they plan to scale the number of cities down proportionately?

Honestly so many of the arguments I see against the new civ5 changes are from people considering as if they were applied to the Civ4 model in isolation. Is 1UPT guaranteed to improve the series? Obviously not. But neither is it guaranteed to be a failure either.

I have never had a Civ4 War that "bogged down" (= as much time and micromanagement) as PG scenarios. That includes up through civ games on Deity and Huge maps.

Obviously that would depend on what your definition of bogged down is. In terms of actual clock time the two are roughly similar if you're equally practiced in both games. The difference is in Civilization you're performing the exact same actions 20 times a turn and it get boring fast - attacking the same tile 10-15 times with bombers to wear it down isn't tactical - it's just tedious. Likewise rushing a new reinforcement to the front is fun... but not when you have to do it 10+ times per turn. Building up the combat experience of your units is fun, but not when they're so fragile that even you top experienced units die frequently. Putting some thought into the order you attack the opposition in is fun, micromanaging a stack of 50 tanks to attack with full strength units first, then attack the weakened survivors with second attacks, then move half the stack on while manually cycling through the other 20 and telling them to heal, then manually getting them to catch up to the stack later is not.

The other reason SOD were crap was you could never have meeting engagements between 2 equal forces - the SOD mechanics always favour the defender: If I have 5 modern armour, 5 gunships, and 5 mobile SAMs and I meet an opponent with a similar army head on in the field, the loser is the one who initiates the attack because he'll always one at a time and always has to face the strongest defensive unit. 1UPT will make that a thing of the past.

But to each his own. Firaxis is making the kind of Civilization I want to play so this discussion is largely irrelavent to me.

I have to agree with the poster that 1 unit per tile = Bad woraround
I think that they only did this because firaxis figured without statcks os doom the player's main advantage was gone so they wouldn't have to worry about AI complaints.
On the good side it sould make war feel more 2 sided because no SOD's = a war that requres stratagy insted of the gather 100 artilary and 20 tanks and go pwn the enemy

1UPT done right is fine IMO.

I've played Civilization since Civ2 and PG since the beginning and I don't see any evidence that micromanagement is increasing. Indeed considering the differences between Civ3 and Civ4 if anything Firaxis is determined to minimize the amount of micromanaging to keep the game's appeal as broad as possible.

In the context of civ 4 a single unit city garrison would be cause for a concern - when it was possible to bring a SOD against them in a single turn and combat was (usually) to the death. NEITHER situation holds true anymore. A city will likely also be able to be supported by ajacent units (archers firing defensive fire for example) and will likely take a few turns to route out - encouraging surrounding the city to eliminate supporting units.

If you had the same number of units in Civ5 as you did in 4 then 1UPT would indeed involve more micromanagement. But all that I've read so far implies that the number of units will be far smaller.

Personally I'm looking forward to NOT having to move 10-15 newly built units to the front line every turn to replace the 15-20 lost last turn. Or have my 5+ promotion units completely killed in a single turn because they fluke rolled poorly. Or having to attack the same tile 50 times in a turn to wear it down. Or having to Nuke an AI's SOD as the only practical defense (unless you have a SOD 3 times the size) and watching his armed forces strength drop from 18 million to 9 million in a single turn.

Even the largest PG scenarios with 80-100 units a side never bogged down as bad as late game Civ4 does because *every* unit is worth something and is accomplishing a valuable mission, whether attacking an enemy concentration or protecting the flanks of others that are.

Is 1UPT guaranteed success for Civilization? I don't think guaranteed - to maximize the benefits of the PG combat system would really require larger, less dense maps to give depth to maneuver, as well as plenty of space for the rivers, forests, and hills needed to anchor defensive lines which in and of itself would require minor adjustments to the scale of the rest of the civ mechanics (city radius, worker improvements, unit movement rates, etc). However from what I've seen it seems the Devs ARE aware of this and have made allowances so I am cautiously optimistic that the game will retain the core of what makes Civ great - exploration, empire building, conquest, scientific development - the only difference is the combat system won't feel like a holdover from the 1980s.

I got a feeling Civ5 is going to have real big map and allows great number of cities and units.
They already said conquest victory now only require capturing of all capital cities, may be because they know it is impossible / almost impossible to capture all cities. Probably they will bring back the infinite rail movement as well, so you can bring a great number of units to a tile in no time - i.e. no point stacking units... um sorry, not to a tile but to attack a unit in 1 tile.

Top Bottom