More Civ, Less Fanatic

IMO, that's an opportunity to encourage more civility and constructive communication in this forum. If you agree with someone's points, you're already starting from a position that is less threatening, and can reply with something like "I get where you're coming from and have a similar perspective, but I don't think it's necessary to flame people who don't agree or imply that they're all idiots if they think otherwise."

That kind of remark is going to be a lot easier to receive than counter-flaming from someone who completely disagrees; those responses just escalate the conflict and the hating by contributing to it.

A subset of the flaming/problem with trolling is the Wii effect, or rather, there's been a parallel arguments going on in the console space from 'sophistacted' console players complaining Wii has "dumb down" their hobby, because granny is playing bowling on it.

so you see parallel claims, some mentioning Wii directly, when they assert that Civ5 is just like that scenario. In those cases, the wording doesn't even need to be condescending, it could all be done with a smiley face and a wink, but the implication is just as inflamatory.

he made several points, you just can't see past the tone of his post.

ಠ_ಠ

Dramatized:

Ok, maybe we're getting somewhere. Now, at some point in the recent past, you read a sentence. A sentence by klokwerk. This made you think "Wow, that's a great point, for <reason>! I shall inform the others.". Then you posted that his points were excellent, and I responded "Sir, I respectfully disagree, but am interested in <reason>. I would certainly fancy a discussion on that. Could you, perhaps, elaborate on <reason>?"

From my point of view, you're acting like a protester with a sign that says "WE WON'T STAND FOR THIS SORT OF THING", then acting like I insulted you when I want to know what you're talking about.

&#3232;_&#3232;

Dramatized:

Ok, maybe we're getting somewhere. Now, at some point in the recent past, you read a sentence. A sentence by klokwerk. This made you think "Wow, that's a great point, for <reason>! I shall inform the others.". Then you posted that his points were excellent, and I responded "Sir, I respectfully disagree, but am interested in <reason>. I would certainly fancy a discussion on that. Could you, perhaps, elaborate on <reason>?"

From my point of view, you're acting like a protester with a sign that says "WE WON'T STAND FOR THIS SORT OF THING", then acting like I insulted you when I want to know what you're talking about.

FFS dude.

It's not perfect by any mean, but a lot better than vanilla Civ 4.

Agreed.

Firaxis doesn't care about kids crying on the forum because they know they account for 1% of their customers. The majority is happy and will never write on this boards anyway.

Agreed.

Civ sells millions and the biggest poll here account for 300 people, which means it's nothing at all compared to sales.

Patch will be there anyway, no need to make thousands of rant threads. Just trust Firaxis, they always helped.

Agreed.

Overblown rant threads are just annoying and people don't read them anyway, especially the devs.

Agreed.

Constructive feedback is appreciated though, but it's really rare on this board.

Agreed.

"Civ 5 is the worst thing happening to mankind" is useless though.

Agreed.

Are you happy now? Jesus Christ.

asdfjkshlfaffjkldnhfasdf

I give up. I know you agree, I know you've agreed for the last four posts. But apparently you agree for no reason whatsoever.

LOL wtf man, do you want me to just reiterate what he's saying? Yes, I agree, because yes people whine to damn much, and yes, too many people use this forum as their personal soapbox for the vendetta against Firaxis/2k for this supposed "abomination" that's been hoisted upon us, and yes, while being a vocal majority here, are a minority amongst the civ playing community. Why do I agree with him? Because in my opinion, he's right! WTF do you want me to do, break down my psyche in .pdf format so you can have a better understanding of why I agree with him? My mother didn't breastfeed me until I was seven, if that's what you're looking for. I wasn't beat as a child, and I grew up in a normal household. I can't speak for Klokwerk's upbringing or what made him into the man he is today, but suffice it to say that we apparently share the same views in this case.

And where exactly are the "points" now?
What you've quoted are *opinions*, and even seem to be quite questionable ones.

There's a word for this, its called "obtuse". Tell you what..will you feel all warm and cuddly inside if I say his "opinion"? You're arguing semantics, and much like the previous thread about troop movement, arguing just to argue.

Hi, Jharii. Nifty post and all!

As someone who is disappointed in Civ5 (compared to Civ4 BTS) but who nevertheless enjoys playing it, I must say that there are some attitudes from "Civ5 haters" that are rather annoying to read through. Phrases like "Firaxis made a game that appeals to dumbed-down console kiddies" may not be a direct insult to any specific person, but is obviously derogatory and condescending to anybody who happens to like the game despite its flaws. I still recall the thread a week ago seriously musing on whether people who enjoy Civ5 must be pirates (as he figured that nobody who paid good money could possibly enjoy the game... and that it was "beyond reason" that anyone prefer Civ5 to Civ4).

No matter the stance or whether they agree with my opinion or not, I strongly dislike either side painting convenient pictures and generalizations of the "other side" with such broad brush strokes. Comments like "Civ5 is a game so dumbed-down, even my 8 year old kid could beat Prince by randomly clicking stuff" or "Civ5 is good if all you care about is shiny buttons and animations" is absolutely unnecessary and remarkably insulting to people who honestly like the game but cannot beat lower difficulty levels.

(Before anyone gets the wrong idea, I'm ONLY talking about a small-but-flamingly-vocal minority... this is certainly not an indictment of the forum posters here as a whole -- whether they're for or against Civ5.)

I agree with a lot of this post.

I'll admit that I come from a forum where aggressive posting is the norm, and quality control is pretty strict (about spamming, off-topic, and typing without capital letters, making no-content posts), but there's little to no rules about politeness. Being outright mean-spirited and harmful to discussion will get you in trouble, but a bit of sarcasm or a quip isn't going to raise any eyebrows. In fact, you're MORE likely to get called out or made fun of if you start taking things super seriously (especially when talking about video games. :p)

Civ Fanatics is different and it's taken me a bit to get used to 'how things are done' here. So I have to be careful to not make sarcastic remarks, or add in jokes to my posts or else I'll get an infraction for being off-topic or spamming (even if the REST of my post was on topic). A number of other things like that. It's kind of rough, because the light-hearted or not-so-serious part, along with the sort of sparring with other posters is a lot of what I like.

But I sort of get it now, and I'll have to learn to change my style, and treat Civ Fanatics as a place for 'business casual' discussion, rather than casual.

But as Black Hole pointed out above, when people use phrases like "this game is clearly dumbed down," "it's childish, kiddie Civ," etc. It really does come across as personally insulting to people who ARE having fun playing it, and that really tempts me to come in and poke at someone. I know I should stop that though. :p

And as Jharii pointed out, the extreme hyperbole in some of the discussion is entirely unproductive and really does a disservice to whatever side of any issue you take. Anytime you start talking about "the worst in history" or "the death of gaming" et cetera, you've become bombastic and over-the-top. It's like when anyone starts to compare a United States president (past or present) to Adolf Hitler; you might think it's a powerful statement, but other people see you as being ludicrous.

When I see that, it says to me that you're either trolling for dramatic effect, or you're taking it way too seriously and have lost perspective. And as I said, the places where I've posted before, that sort of thing invites mocking or joking. So when I see someone making threads where they list the names of beta testers and demand those testers be banned for failing to protect us from Civ 5, it's hard to keep from making a mocking post. But I need to stop that too. Even if it's really fun. :p

I dunno, this is a lot of rambling, but there's my complete synopsis of why I post the way I do, I guess! Sorry for taking up that much space!

the extreme hyperbole

Bah! I could not think of the word at the time and I thank you profusely. :)

But as Black Hole pointed out above, when people use phrases like "this game is clearly dumbed down," "it's childish, kiddie Civ," etc. It really does come across as personally insulting to people who ARE having fun playing it, and that really tempts me to come in and poke at someone. I know I should stop that though.

This is exactly where I find myself all the time. :D

And thank you for the kind sentiments about the thread. :) You expounded on my thoughts precisely and eloquently.

No matter the stance or whether they agree with my opinion or not, I strongly dislike either side painting convenient pictures and generalizations of the "other side" with such broad brush strokes.

Absolutely agree here. You give examples which characterize the behavior of "the haters," but it does happen on both sides. (E.g. "You just wanted Civ 4, we get it, now shut up and go away.") It's ridiculous and counterproductive no matter where it's coming from.

I agree with Klokwerk's points, but he should leave the flaming out of it. :goodjob:

Hahaha, well played. ;)

A subset of the flaming/problem with trolling is the Wii effect, or rather, there's been a parallel arguments going on in the console space from 'sophistacted' console players complaining Wii has "dumb down" their hobby, because granny is playing bowling on it.

I agree. I know I've had my moments, but that's one stereotype I'll never condone. I play both console and PC games; I don't think there is such a clear division between "console crowd" and "PC crowd." I'd wager that a lot (most?) gamers play a bit of both.

But you're right; this is a good example of the crappy tactic of painting your opponents as some vague "other" who is somehow inferior or beneath your exalted position. Again, happens on both sides, and it shouldn't happen at all, IMO.

I think people whine to much about other people whining too much ;)

I'd wager that a lot (most?) gamers play a bit of both.

LOL.

I bought an XBox360 and a few games. After a week, it sat collecting dust as I went back to PC gaming. I sold it.

9 months later, I bought an XBox360 and a few games. After a week, it sat collecting dust as I went back to PC gaming. I sold it.

9 months later, I bought a Wii and a few games. After 3 days, it sat collecting dust as I went back to PC gaming. I sold it.

:D

Consoles are so very painful for me to play. I've now accepted the fact that I am a PC game lifer. :)

The circle is complete. My work here is done. Now back to the bat cave to play Crown of Glory Emperor's Edition!!

Seriously, as an overall whole, people really need to chill out a bit here. Everyone wants a better Civ5 game.

Some people have differing and often completely opposite opinions on the current stage of the game. Great, I get that. But the flaming, baiting, and trolling has become excessive and really needs to stop. Every single one of us has the ability to demand more while displaying tact and patience with each other.

And believe me, I've got caught up in it a few times myself. For that, I apologize.

Let's try to tone down the personal attacks and emotional responses and practice some civility and maturity.

Do you really think that this will work? It amazes me that people will start stupid threads like this thinking that this will have some affect other than people telling you where you can go.
Moderator Action: Flaming is not allowed in this forum.
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

The bat cave is compromised. There's already a unit in that hex.

Ha ha!! But _I_ still did not buy Civ5 :D

Thus, _I_ can still stack infinite numbers of Mech Inf, B-52 Stratofortressi, and Arty in ONE SQUARE!

Do you really think that this will work? It amazes me that people will start stupid threads like this thinking that this will have some affect other than people telling you where you can go.

If it encourages one or two people to think or be a bit more considerate in their posting, then it worked. But if everybody approached it with the attitude in this post, no, it really wouldn't work.

I don't think that it's crazy to hope for some temperance and civility.

I mean, I know we're all civ fanatics, but that doesn't mean we can't be reasonable.

*cough*

The circle is complete. My work here is done. Now back to the bat cave to play Crown of Glory Emperor's Edition!!

You explore the bat cave and find evidence of an ancient civilization with advanced technology!

Top Bottom